Quantcast

**The LIVE Presidential Debate Thread**

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Kerry: "Wrong that we have 90% of casualties."

That's the way to build alliances. Let's get some of your guys killed....

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Kerry says that the President diverted troops out from under General Tommy Franks to send them to Iraq.

Tommy Franks has already put that lie to rest, John when he called into to Hannity's radio show to dispute it, the very FIRST day you ever said it.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
heh, John Kerry never actually says anything. he speaks fluidly about nothing. he rambles off stats and then just says "Ill do it better"

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Now he just said Iraq was not a mistake. He's talking about leading the troops to victory...yet he voted against the funds to help them. Who does this guy think he's kidding?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
....hate to say it, but the President's performance has sounded weak and defensive so far. He needs to go on the offensive, and soon.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
While I am not american, i am incredibly interested int his debate as a Poli Sci PhD candidate.

Kerry seems to avoid questions, and is attempting to rile up the president. He wastes much answer time with fluff.

Bush is a horrible speaker and avoids even more questions then Kerry. He repeats himself too much.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i thought john kerry did a decent job of pointing that the "they" in bush's "but 'they' attacked us. ... so i attacked iraq" is al qaeda, not saddam hussein + co.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
N8 said:
....hate to say it, but the President's performance has sounded weak and defensive so far. He needs to go on the offensive, and soon.
wow, was wondering if I was seeing this from a partisan point of view, but GWB does not seem to be doing well to me either. Fumbling answers, repeating the same thing over and over, and basically looking like a deer in the headlights. Kerry may not be saying much more substance-wise, but at least he sounds more intelligent doing so. GWB's attempts at going after Kerry for statements is always going to fall short of Kerry going after GWB for his record. Will have to see how the media spins it, but to me it's not looking good for GWB.

:thumb:

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Kerry keeps droping his time in Vietnam "subtlely" and it is really annoying. He keeps skirting questions. Bush sounds like he is eating a peanut butter sandwich with no milk. I am listening on the radio and it is pretty interesting, no visuals to take away attention from what is actually being said.

For a second I thought Bush was going to lose his cool.....

Kerry has said nothing but "I will do better..."

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i really think that bush is so halting in his speech since he's parroting back cues from an earpiece

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I agree with a few of you. Bush seems to be doing poorly (form a subjective canadian poitn of view). He is losing the debate, we need a score like during college debates.

He is fumbling words/answers, and generally looking uneasy. It hought he was gonna fly off the handle at one point. He keeps saying kerry is changin his mind alot, same stuff he has been sayting for weeks, nothing new.

Kerry is avoiding answers, and keep saying he will do better, but does not qualify it. He is a very good debater tho it seems. He is doing well in the iraqui debate, and possibly even the flip-flop front. He was able to qualify why he changed his mind. I lerarned much about kerry this evening, not so much about Bush.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Currently feeling tremendous relief over Kerry's responses and he seems surprisingly much more than simply "as long as it's not Bush". I did tune in 1/2 hour late though.

I'm kind of curious to know how it looks since image has a far greater effect on the outcome.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I am throroughly impressed with both Kerry and Bush's debating skills. Although Bush ran around in circles alot and repeated himself, he held up well.

I learned alot about kerry, which is good, as most us voters are less knowledge able about the candidates then I do as a poli sci student. If i learned alot, they learned more. He is now more vote for kerry, as opposed to dont vote for bush

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bomberz1qr20 said:
He has been torn a new ass**le, this GW Bush.
unfortunately it will not make a difference. middle america will still like bush, because he didn't seem all intellectual :dead: and because he said "and may god continue to bless our great land" as a closer. that will stick with them.

i hope that i'm wrong. :stosh:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Trancend - I don't think you could say Kerry was skirting around questions. I feel like I know exactly what to expect from Kerry now. He made the points quite a few times.

Toshi - As always I hope you arn't right too, but you probably are.

Are you guys watching CNN? They have these 22 'swing' voters who they are about to ask who did better... Should be humourous even if not actually substantive... :)

Any other exit polls?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Changleen said:
Trancend - I don't think you could say Kerry was skirting around questions. I feel like I know exactly what to expect from Kerry now. He made the points quite a few times.

Toshi - As always I hope you arn't right too, but you probably are.

Are you guys watching CNN? They have these 22 'swing' voters who they are about to ask who did better... Should be humourous even if not actually substantive... :)

Any other exit polls?
Nice, a canadian and a new zealander debating US political issues.

Kerry on multiple occasions seemed to try and justify an answer, but changing the subject. This is how is seemed to me, anyways. The very first question he seemed to avoid. (i cannot recall what it was now, unfortunately)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dante said:
Fumbling answers, repeating the same thing over and over, and basically looking like a deer in the headlights.
But this is why most Americans relate to him as an example, incredibly, of 'the common man,' and not a privledged dilletante, as they see Kerry. Somehow, being singleminded and inarticulate is so close to home for most of us that they forget Bush is as much a blue-blooded child of privledge as Kerry is.

MD

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Toshi said:
unfortunately it will not make a difference. middle america will still like bush, because he didn't seem all intellectual :dead: and because he said "and may god continue to bless our great land" as a closer. that will stick with them.

i hope that i'm wrong. :stosh:
MikeD said:
But this is why most Americans relate to him as an example, incredibly, of 'the common man,' and not a privledged dilletante, as they see Kerry. Somehow, being singleminded and inarticulate is so close to home for most of us that they forget Bush is as much a blue-blooded child of privledge as Kerry is.

MD

I forgot about the appeal of stupidity in this country, my sweep of hope has dropped a tad.

I too hope you're wrong Toshi.

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
I think the debate has got me wanting to vote for kerry......

Something about kerry seeming to be very knowledgeable, not faultering on words...not stuttering, not seeming like a dumbass.

Can somebody tell me why I should vote for bush and not kerry though? :confused: :confused: :drool:

I think I only caught the last half hour or so though....so....ummm......maybe I will just wait till the next debate and see.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Transcend said:
Didn't bush go to harvard? How "common" is he really. MikeD has a good point.
both went to yale undergrad. both were members of skull and bones. bush came from a rich family (not upper middle class. RICH). bush went to harvard business school. kerry went to boston college law school.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
KleinMp99 said:
Can somebody tell me why I should vote for bush and not kerry though? :confused: :confused: :drool:
are you anti-intellectual? do you rabidly oppose abortion? do you support tax cuts largely for the very rich? no? then don't vote for bush, vote for kerry/nader/cobb/badnarik/someone else who fits your views.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Anyone notice Bush seemed to have about 5 points memorized and then attempted to fit them into the answer, no matter what the question was?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Silver said:
Anyone notice Bush seemed to have about 5 points memorized and then attempted to fit them into the answer, no matter what the question was?
I was thinking just that. FLIP FLOPPER!

My very unscientific poll of forums and friends of mine who can vote, and are american, is showing a few changed opinions, many "huh maybe he IS a viable candidate". He now seems less like the lesser of 2 evils, and more like a possible decent president.

Personally i find foreign policy the most important factor in politics, and i would much prefer to have mr kerry representing me to the world, then pres. bush.

Bush just seems very abrasive, VERY texan (no offense), and very self righteous.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Who watched it on C-span? They had a split screen showing the non-speaker's reactions. There was some priceless stuff on both sides...but Bush came off much the worse for it. He looked like an agitated lizard much of the time.

MD

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MikeD said:
He looked like an agitated lizard much of the time.
That's why Gay Penguin and Toshi will be the next great leaders of our country. Only tools like N8 want an agitated lizard in the White House.