The MBA Prop 8 Debacle

roamingoregon

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Wilsonville
Chew on this...

how is it a debacle?
How is MBA "no friend of California?"

Wether I like it or anyone else likes it- people voted and that's just the way it is. Roland Hinz (sp?) and his 12K wasn't the difference that passed the proposition. People voted. In fact this is the second time they voted to ban gay marriage.

How is it a disgrace that he queitly spent some of his profits on this proposition- but not a disgrace for ridemonkey to beat a dead horse over it then express there own personal conviction?

I don't buy MBA but do the skim through every month anyway.
I'm on ridemonkey regularly but generally don't patronize the advertisers.

/just sayin

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Chew on this...

how is it a debacle?

Wether I like it or anyone else likes it- people voted and that's just the way it is. Roland Hinz (sp?) and his 12K wasn't the difference that passed the proposition. People voted. In fact this is the second time they voted to ban gay marriage.

How is it a disgrace that he queitly spent some of his profits on this proposition- but not a disgrace for ridemonkey to beat a dead horse over it then express there own personal conviction?

/just sayin
The arguments against gay marriage are specious at best, and at worst, there is an element of discrimination involved by the supporters of Prop 8.

The first time gay marriage was defeated in 2000, frankly California was not ready for it. This time, Prop 8 barely passed with huge financial support from out of state donors like the Mormon Church.

And you're kidding yourself if you think the issue of gay marriage is a dead horse. It will be fought in the courts and guaranteed be on the ballot until gay marriage is made legal. Not because of special interests or huge financial backing, but because gay marriage is right and the people of California want it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Chew on this...

how is it a debacle?

/just sayin
Right, so black people shouldn't be allowed to vote or ride the bus either, right? I mean, if we vote on it, it's cool, right?

You don't see pure discrimination as a debacle? Is lynching cool too? How bout we lynch all the mormons, just 'cause they are mormons? You cool with that, as long as we do it quietly?

Last edited:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
A vote to take basic civil rights away from others is no vote at all.

Chew on this...

how is it a debacle?

/just sayin

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
I know we discussed this on the other thread, but you do understand that Prop 8 is only in reference to using the term "marriage" to describe the union, and not much at all about "rights" the the gay couple is entitled too. The domestic partners still ahve the same "rights". This Prop is to add text regarding being between a man and woman.
So to compare prop 8 to the blacks, or women's rights is not exactly fair or accurate. Same sex union rights still exist in California.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I know we discussed this on the other thread, but you do understand that Prop 8 is only in reference to using the term "marriage" to describe the union, and not much at all about "rights" the the gay couple is entitled too. The domestic partners still ahve the same "rights". This Prop is to add text regarding being between a man and woman.
So to compare prop 8 to the blacks, or women's rights is not exactly fair or accurate. Same sex union rights still exist in California.
Simple question, do you have the "right" to get married?

If the answer is yes for you, it should be the same for them.

Comparing it to the civil rights movement is entirely accurate. They wanted equality. The ability to do whatever whites were able to do, no matter what it was. This is the EXACT same situation. They could drink from a water fountain, just not the same water fountain. See the similarity?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm going to start making chastity belts for homophobic men.

It's an even better idea than a line of hand tools marketed to gay couples who are into home improvement. That one I'd call the Nancy Boy Tool Company.

But what to call the belts ?

Either way, I'm gonna be rich, rich I tell ya.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Marriage and civil union are not the same thing. For example, many states do not recognize civil unions, nullifying them if you move.

One potentially could gain the same rights thru a civil union but it would require thousands of dollars in legal fees to do so.

Most importantly, without the adoption agreement that my sister's partner signed, I could claim custody of my sister's children if something happened to my sister.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
the word "married". I guess you could argue it is a "right", but in IMO not comparable to the black and women's right argument..and hardly fundamental civil right..they have all the civil rights covered in the partnership laws of CA. Again just my opinion..
The ironic thing many of the people wanting to lynch Prop 8 supporters voted for Barrack and he has openly stated that "marriage" is b/t man and woman..
We are still talking about CA though so even if they have marriage rights in CA, same-sex unions/marriages wouldn't be recognized in other states that don't acknowledge same-sex partners.

Last edited:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I guess you could argue it is a "right", but in IMO not comparable to the black and women's right argument..and hardly fundamental civil right..they have all the civil rights covered in the partnership laws of CA.
Is it something you can do with your partner? Then it should be something they can do with their partner.

Case closed. I'm really not sure why this is so confusing to you.

Anything different is a textbook case of discrimination. Discrimination is exactly what the civil rights movement was based upon.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
all this over the word "married". I guess you could argue it is a "right", but in IMO not comparable to the black and women's right argument..and hardly fundamental civil right..they have all the civil rights covered in the partnership laws of CA. Again just my opinion..
The ironic thing many of the people wanting to lynch Prop 8 supporters voted for Barrack and he has openly stated that "marriage" is b/t man and woman..
Are you serious ?

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
seriously, lighten up with the name calling.
And..yes it's something they can NOW do with their partners, and have the same rights as I have..and guess what i think it's great..

my point was that people are so hard on Prop 8 supporters for wanting to support the concept of marriage as they see it, (being b/t a man and a woman,) I'm not arguing against the core rights associated with marriage being extended to gay couples.
I bring up Obama b/c on one hand you will boycott and create "dishonorable" lists for Prop 8 supporters, but the same people voted for a President who views marriage the same way, even if he is not a supporter of changing the Consitution.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
seriously, lighten up with the name calling.
my point was that people are so hard on Prop 8 supporters for wanting to support the concept of marriage being b/t a man and a woman, not arguing against the core rights associated with marriage not being extended to gay couples.
I bring up Obama b/c on one hand you will boycott and create "dishonorable" lists for Prop 8 supporters, but the same people voted for a President who views marriage the same way, even if he is not a supporter of changing the Consitution.
Hey fag-hater,

All four Presidential and VP candidates had the same exact answer about the gay marriage and civil union issue.

Do you know why, homo-boy?

Because if Obama and Biden chose to make this a platform, they would have lost votes.

Just admit that you hate gay people, that you don't know any gay people except for the hairdresser at your mother's salon, and you will feel a lot better.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Listen, if someone wants to get married, I don't understand what it is that bothers you if its a hot dog and a taco, two hot dogs or two tacos. Really, why does anyone care.

If you think for a second that a "domestic partnership" gives you the same rights as a marriage, you're dead wrong. It does not hold the same legal weight, validity, or protections.

This is an issue of civil rights. Most of the gay folk I knew were born gay. Last time I checked blacks, asians, mexicans and every other color under the sun was born into that, with the exception of Vanilla Ice, he changed sides mid game.

If by definition rights are assured to minorities based on the concept that they were born equal to the white folk, then why is it that you find it acceptable to discriminate based on some other born in trait?

Your logic is circumspect. Just walk away from this.

Good on ya RM, stand for what you believe in, I'll get your back.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Don't forget Michael Jackson and Kid Rock.
Long as we're at it:
- Snow
- Fred Durst
- Colin Powell
- Jesus (because you know he was black, but he always looks so white...)

Does this mean, by the definitions we're working with here, that none of these people, because they chose to change sides against their genetic make up, should be allowed to marry?

I can do this all night...

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Speaking of rights, as a resident of Oz, should you be allowed to comment on this? Funny all the non-americans speaking up on how we should do things 'round these parts..

Seriously, How I Met Your Mother is my favorite show and the last thing i want to do is piss off Neil Patrick Harris..

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Oz is a state of mind, where there are midget fluffers and I can get whacked out sniffing my way down the yellow brick road.

But I am a born son and have fought for America assuring the rights you'd be so quick to take from others. Frankly I would go so far as to say that people like me have a superior right to tell you how it ought to be done "round these parts." We've fought and died to assure your right to deny others.

Go sit in your corner and think about what you've done.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Long as we're at it:
- Snow
- Fred Durst
- Colin Powell
- Jesus (because you know he was black, but he always looks so white...)

Does this mean, by the definitions we're working with here, that none of these people, because they chose to change sides against their genetic make up, should be allowed to marry?

I can do this all night...
I don't really see the attraction between Fred Durst an Colin Powell, maybe it's a May/December kind of thing.

But I'm not here to judge, I just make their rings.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Oz is a state of mind, where there are midget fluffers and I can get whacked out sniffing my way down the yellow brick road.

But I am a born son and have fought for America assuring the rights you'd be so quick to take from others. Frankly I would go so far as to say that people like me have a superior right to tell you how it ought to be done "round these parts." We've fought and died to assure your right to deny others.

Go sit in your corner and think about what you've done.
you are soo right. Let me guess, Navy?