Quantcast

The Nan Epic in North Conway

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Saw that IMBA lists the Nanamocomuck in North Conway, NH as an epic ride and was thinking about heading up there to ride it. I did a little Googling and saw some mixed results, some people said it sucked and was not worth doing. Anybody ridden it and can tell me one way or another what the deal is?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Whoever said it sucked is an idiot. It's been 5 years since I've done the ride, but I can't imagine it sucking - only better than it used to be. It was a great ride, but there's real climbing involved - not the short, quick climbs we do around this area.

It's definitely more of an XC ride, but quite technical in a few spots. (Expect some mud). The lower Nan ride starts at the covered bridge campground on the Kanc and goes up to Bear Notch road. It's an out and back, maybe 7 miles each way. Return trip is mostly downhill. The trail runs along the Swift river most of the way. If you want more mileage, cross Bear Notch road and there's a bunch of more trails. A good intro map for the area on the other side of Bear Notch road can be found on Bikerag.

The local Nemba chapter put in a bunch of bog bridges in the worst sections to stay out of the mud. They are actually pretty fun to ride.

Attachments

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Sounds cool, my plan was to head up Memorial Day weekend and grab a camp site the night before and spend the next day cruising all around. XC is really all I was looking for, so that sounds like its my type of thing. Figure I already checked the Kingdom Trails off of the epic list, might as well check off a second one that's in close proximity.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I drove out there to ride it, and I thought it sucked. It's a XC ski trail. It's not built for bikes. It was full of mudholes at the bottoms of the hills while the hills themselves were stripped bare of soil, and were just rocks piled on each other. We called it the "Nana-what-the-****". There is much better riding elsewhere in N. Conway.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
There are some awesome trails up near Hurricane Mtn. Rd in North Conway......super duper fun trails. Red Cap was one of them I think?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
They worth the trip up/night stay? If I'm going to make a trip like that I could just as easily go up to the Kingdom Trails.
Apples to Oranges.

KT is smooth, non-technical trails with lots of people. (Unless you are shuttling to the top of Burke or riding the Moose alley stuff).

North Conway is more-technical, "old-school" type singletrack, with no crowds. Most of the North Conway area stuff requires noticeably more climbing than what we see in MA. Way more infrastructure in North Conway, so there's other fun things to do when you aren't riding. (Hiking, swimming, zip lines, mountain coasters, etc.)

Pick up the "Rob Brook MTB map" and the "Conway Area MTB map". Lots of places in North Conway sell them, (Red Jersey, EMS, etc.) They may also be available from web sites?

http://wmnemba.wordpress.com/where-to-ride/