Quantcast

The New and Improved Who are you, where do you live, and what do you ride thread.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Tell me about it man...there is always that one person that takes life way to seriously instead of just being cool about everything. Have you been to that BMX track JdSchall?

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
Who are you? Matt
Where do you live? Frederick, MD - 5 minutes from Gambrill/Shed
What do you ride? SC Chameleon, Evil DOC, Soul Cycles Hooligan, Schwinn Supersport (my roadie).
How old are you? 23

I'm fairly new to the area, so shoot me a PM if you want to ride.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Name: Heather

Where: Fairfax

Where to ride?: Schaeffer, Wakefield, Accotink, Difficult Run, Great Falls, Fox Run (?), and sometimes pavement (seems to be a lot of it around here)
I HATE repetition.

What do i Ride?: Giant Iguana

PedroGringo

Chimp
May 24, 2005
Falls Church, VA
My name is Pete I'm a single speeder living in Falls Church. I ride a Karate Monkey and I'm building something new this summer.

I just turned 40 and I've been riding in this area for the past 16 years. I do at least 3 or 4 road trips per year with my bike.

Pete

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Name: Alec
Where: Towson, MD
Where I ride: Loch Raven and surrounding areas mostly.
What I ride: '05 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc

I've been riding since 1993 and have in that time, come to realize that lycra was designed for gimp outfits and nothing else. I've ditched XC, which I was never particularly good at, and declared myself a noob freerider. I now ride with pads and a shovel. Yes, I will dig or build.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Sweet man. Do you ride Patapsco much. I am always up for a ride there and I can hook you up with a good amount of riders in there.

May 25, 2005
Bowie, MD
Jerry
Ride: TREK Liquid XT, HOPE, Psylo Race/Cannondale R1000 Campy Record, carbon everything
Where: Bowie streets, MD 242, 214, Patapsco, Powerlines
Bowie, MD

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
Name: John
Where: Elkridge, MD (1 mile from Avalon... MONEY!!)
Where I ride: Patapsco, but I'm looking for more...
What I ride: '05 Cannondale F400 (yeah, I know it ain't much)

I'm a newb as of this season... I've been riding in Patapsco's Avalon area for about 3 months now... Lots of fun trails for a beginner. I'm going on a trip to Deep Creek Lake next weekend and I'm psyched for Wisp downhilling... has anyone been there lately? How's the riding?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
NaptownF400 said:
Name: John
Where: Elkridge, MD (1 mile from Avalon... MONEY!!)
Where I ride: Patapsco, but I'm looking for more...
What I ride: '05 Cannondale F400 (yeah, I know it ain't much)

I'm a newb as of this season... I've been riding in Patapsco's Avalon area for about 3 months now... Lots of fun trails for a beginner. I'm going on a trip to Deep Creek Lake next weekend and I'm psyched for Wisp downhilling... has anyone been there lately? How's the riding?

Where did you buy that F400??? If any of you want to ride Patapsco, I can hook you up with some good groups. Just let me know.

NaptownF400

Chimp
May 25, 2005
Elkridge, MD
rpk1988 said:
Where did you buy that F400??? If any of you want to ride Patapsco, I can hook you up with some good groups. Just let me know.
I got the F400 at Bike Doctor in Crofton... I've had the WORST luck with it so far. The air shock blew out twice in less than a month! It's a nice ride for the small investment though... The prophet 1000 is sick.

I've got the Avalon area down pretty good now, do you have any other recommendations maybe further west? I have a friend in Sykesville, and I know the park exists up there, but I don't know how challenging it is. I'm a novice, but she's GREEN. Thanks man!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I have really only ridden at Patapsco and Gambrills. Our shop does Sunday morning rides at the Park & Ride off Rolling Road at 8 a.m. weather permitting. You should come out.

Do you have a red or a gray F400? Yea man the Prophet is sick, you should have invested in one of those.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
To respond to RPK (if he was indeed asking me if I ride at Potapsco)... No I haven't ridden there. Hard to believe that after all these years I've never made the 25 min trip down there from the northern Baltimore burbs to check it out.

I'm interesting in hitting up Gambrills pretty soon though, and The Shed (if they aren't one in the same). My one riding buddy and I are slowing but surely trying to progress to more interesting riding than XC which, after all these years, is fairly boring really. I recently found a ton of FR stuff up at LR which shocked me, because frankly I can't imagine anyone hitting a 10-12' drop to nearly flat. I need to stake out the place though, maybe setup a big net and after capture force them to let me follow them around to all the good spots I don't know about yet.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Haha sounds good man. Yea hit up Patapsco some time. Someone I know just found a nice course in there that has kinda a freeride flare to it. Its sweet. And I went on some nice downhills that I have never been on today. It was fun. Come on out.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
After 3 years away from the bike and in close contact with fast food I'm having to push it up any prolonged climb but I'm faster than ever on the downhills! Probably a combination of added weight, 5" of fork travel, and the added confidence of flat pedals and wearing pads.

I'll be around more and more this season and we should hook up at some point for some riding. I need to expand a bit, find more people to ride with so I have something to use this videocamera for.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Hell yea man. I love the Downhills at Patapsco. I know the park really well now and I can show you all the good ones. Just let me know whenever is good for you. I am starting to head out there just about 3 times a week now. So I have a feeling me getting in shape and stregthening my legs is coming fast. Haha.

Also there are some awesome uphills that will make you think you left a lung back at the bottom.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I have never had anyone video tape me riding a bike. It has always been me doing the video taping. It seems my friends dont know how to work one. Haha. My one friend has a camera, but never brings it out because he is lazy.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
No. I was only with 4 other riders and we didnt make it to that side of the park. Haha. But that might be the group that I usually ride with. Where did you drop in from? I did see a guy with a Jekyll on top getting ready to ride. It was a tricked out Jekyll. That wouldnt of been you was it.

The group that I usually ride with had about 19 riders on Sunday so I would place odds that that was them. Would you like to ride sometime. I can hook you up with some really good rides.

Yep, came from near the park and ride in the land rover. Blue jekyll with spinergy fall line wheels. That was the first time I had been biking in MD in over 2 years. A lot of nice trails that I grew up around.

I mainly ride at the Sourlands and Ringwood. Diablo and Plattekill on weekends. Up in Jersey because of work for the time being. Home to MD when I can.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Did you have that pimped out Land Rover with the snorkel and it said Hummer Recovery Vehicle. Dude I was standing right by the Princeton Sports van. You should have ridden with us. We are trying to get group ride together every Sunday at 8 A.M. weather permitting. Hmmmm.

That would be me. I would've ridden, need a guide to remember those trails. Next time I am home, I will swing on by for a ride. Ended up riding all of the way over the other side, up, around and down the blue, accross the swinging bridge, up through a stream to a traill, down the bulls trail and came back. Short ride as I had to leave to drive back for work today and an afternoon ride on sunday.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
O yea man. That was you. Haha, did you see our van. Yea man try to make it out. We went on a really good ride all over. I can help you out with the guide part. I know my way around there real good, esp. the opposite side of the river from the park and ride. If you are around during the week, I go with another group that is real down to riding all over. Just let me know and I will let you know when and where. They ride on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. But on Sunday I do the Princeton Sports ride because I work there. Haha

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
upsidedownBob said:
Just moved here from Oregon! Everyone says to ride at Patapsco, can someone help me out? Sort of know where Patapsco is but not sure how to get to the riding areas! I live in Bowie, MD. Can someone send me directions to jsheperd61@comcast.net? :thumb:
Send a PM to riderx. He leads a weekly ride at Patapsco.
Or rpk1988:[post]1596909[/post]

dru

Chimp
Jun 1, 2005
va
Dru
alexandria
2002 big hit comp 8"
old cannondale
norco team trials
new to nova
I have no idea where the real trails are.
I just found wintergreen,what a shame. It sucks for those guys,but it's too close to ignore.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
SK6, South of the James.

Equipment:

2002 Les Paul Standard
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Martin DX series acoustic
Shure in ear wireless monitor (W/ E3 buds)
2001 Marshal Valvestate 265R
Boss pedals

Oh----- bikes

2003 Iron Horse SGS Expert Fox Vanilla w/ big hit
1.5 Manitou Sherman Breakout 1.5

2001 GF Marlin w/ Marzocchi fork
and stuff.

EEE

Chimp
Jun 17, 2005
Dave
College Park
RM Edge

Mostly Fairland and Schaefer. Need to expand my boundaries once I have more time to ride!

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Man I have to tell you guys that I am so freaking excited about moving up to C-ville Aug 1st. It looks as though there is a real heavy riding scene in Va according to what I have been reading on this thread. My wife has been accepted into the law school at UVA so we will be there in a bit over 3 weeks from now. I look forward to riding with those I met in your beautiful state.

And here is my low-down.

Name: Woody
My rides: for xc, I use my 04 Enduro pro
for freeriding and dh, I use my pimp mobile (vp free)

shakey

Chimp
Jul 8, 2005
Golden, Co
Who are you? Chris
Where do you live? Fairfax, VA
What do you ride? 04 Trek Liquid
04 Norco Shore
How old are you? 31
Where do I ride? The Liquid rides local trails, Fox Mill Park, Culvin Run, and all the NoVA ususal suspects.
The Norco mostly rides Wintergreen, not becuase its great or cool, but becuase its a day trip to a lift. She really likes to go visit my brother who lives about an hour away from Diablo.
I just hang on to whichever bike is under me.

Matt H

Monkey
Aug 8, 2005
Maryland (Baltimore area)
Who are you? Matt
Where do you live? Parkville, MD (near Baltimore)
What do you ride? 04 Giant Iquana Disc
How old are you? 29

Where I ride: Since Loch Raven is 10 minutes from my house, I'm there frequently. I hit Patapsco now and then.
This past weekend I rode at the shed w/ a friend of mine (posts here as "hotbuttertopping") and met some other guys up there...everyone was really cool (and everyone can ride like hell, I'm impressed).

The Iguana needs to hold together through the end of this fall, I'm in the market for a freeride bike that could pass for an XC bike w/ minor leg workout, but handle the 2' - 3' drops on a moddest freeride/DH run w/o busting my bike or my ass. Right now I'm looking at:
Specialized FSR-XC
Santa Cruz Nomad
GT I Drive 5 3.0

If anyone has suggestions regarding bikes to look at or places to find them, hit me up!