Quantcast

The new prohibition

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Its another way for the government to tell us whats good for ourselves.
Like seat belts, if I don't want to wear one the only person who's going to get hurt is myself. There are laws against self inflicting injuries (I think) so getting fat and have a heart attach is a form of hurting yourself :bonk: stupid government :bonk:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I don't know anything about the science of the issue. If the stuff is as toxic as people seem to say I'm glad its not in my lunch.

i'd be happy with a warning label though. I kinda want people who oppose the ban to take the pepsi challenge and try to identify foods with and without trans fat. if they cant do it and the medical research isn't bunk ban away. i'll pay an extra 6 cents for something that tastes the same and doesnt cause me to die. . . i don't see that as taking away my freedom, this may just be one of the few cases where the public health system does its job.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
If I want to eat sh!t, that's my prerogative.

The best quote from that story is the fact that we "no longer die of typhoid fever, we die of heart disease". Well no sh!t. If we kill off all the bugs that were ending our life BEFORE the diseases of old age could set in, what's left to kill us off besides diseases of old age? It's inevitable! Even if we eat nothing but freshly caught game, what kills people? Heart attack and stroke. The body wears out.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
You can thank all of those lard ass' who eat alot of the crapola and are too damn lazy to get their collective fat ass' off the couch and away from the TV, and do something alot more healthy.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
I don't know anything about the science of the issue. If the stuff is as toxic as people seem to say I'm glad its not in my lunch.

i'd be happy with a warning label though. I kinda want people who oppose the ban to take the pepsi challenge and try to identify foods with and without trans fat. if they cant do it and the medical research isn't bunk ban away. i'll pay an extra 6 cents for something that tastes the same and doesnt cause me to die. . . i don't see that as taking away my freedom, this may just be one of the few cases where the public health system does its job.
A public health issue would be to educate people about the dangers of this, not ban it.

Look at cigarettes. That's a much larger public health hazard, yet that's not banned.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
This is ridiculous. Laws that tell me what I can put inside myself really irritate me. Especially when what I put in me isn't going to affect anyone else at all.

firemandivi

They drank my Tooters
Sep 7, 2006
a state called denial
Mayor Bloomberg said the city is &#8220;not going to take away anybody&#8217;s ability to go out and have the kind of food they want, in the quantities they want,&#8221; adding, &#8220;We are just trying to make food safer.&#8221;

And what if I want to have Transfat in my food. I may want to have a beer and a smoke too. Oh My God stop the presses I'm actually enjoying myself in public. Oh wait not in NYC. Can't smoke, can't have Trans Fat, prositiution is illegal, WTF where's the fun in life

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Stupidest, worst thing I've maybe ever heard. Jesus, this is almost as sickening as the lap band.

http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/index.html

That's right! Have no comprehension of personal responsibility? No problem, this device CLOSES OFF YOUR STOMACH so you cant pack more food in. No willpower needed!

This country sickens me sometimes.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Ah, the age old question,
Is it the goverments responsibility to stop stupid people from killing themselves.
Seatbelts, motorcyles helmets, poison food, cigs.

I went to visit my 90 year old grandmother in the hospital the other day, and the whole nursing staff was wearing XXL tent gowns working in the heart center. These walking time bombs see these people dying every day from overeating, and they must want to be next. :banghead:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Like i said, take the pepsi challenge before we start arguing. can you or anybody else tell the difference? I just thought it was a cheaper more artificial version of fat that also happens to be worse for you.

Take the extreme example: rat poison may be cheaper than black pepper, and it may even add a spicy tang that some of us have come to enjoy, but if companies were putting it in your food without telling you, you'd be justifiably pissed. I would like to see more studies before people start banning things out of hand but i'm no scientist as i said.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Stupidest, worst thing I've maybe ever heard. Jesus, this is almost as sickening as the lap band.

http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/index.html

That's right! Have no comprehension of personal responsibility? No problem, this device CLOSES OFF YOUR STOMACH so you cant pack more food in. No willpower needed!

This country sickens me sometimes.
That's what America is nowadays. Nobody needs to be responsible for anything. "I can't be thrown in jail for that, I was abused as a child and it's not my fault that I'm mentally disturbed." Or "I was too stupid to notice that the coffee said "extremely hot" and I spilled it on myself, but it's your fault for making it hot.

And you know when something sickens BS, it's GOT to be bad. :D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Like i said, take the pepsi challenge before we start arguing. can you or anybody else tell the difference? I just thought it was a cheaper more artificial version of fat that also happens to be worse for you.

Take the extreme example: rat poison may be cheaper than black pepper, and it may even add a spicy tang that some of us have come to enjoy, but if companies were putting it in your food without telling you, you'd be justifiably pissed. I would like to see more studies before people start banning things out of hand but i'm no scientist as i said.
So what if Splenda happens to be better for you than sugar, should they ban sugar too? I heard it causes cavities. :bonk:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005

You're missing the point man. It's WELL known that this crap is in food. People just don't care. They eat because it tastes good, not because it's good for them. They're too lazy to cook something, so it's a matter of convenience, good pricing, and good taste. Does it taste better? Hell no. Nothing is quite as nice as a burger done up the old fashioned way on a grill, made out of lean beef. But hey, that takes time and it's more expensive than McDonalds, so even though McDonalds is bad for you, it's the most often chosen.

It's less about science and more about mindset. Americans just don't give a damn, they don't like to exercise, and they don't want to waste time they could spend in front of the TV. It's a sad situation, but that's the way it is. The government banning trans-fats won't change anything. Hell, I can see some people saying "hey, this stuff sn't so bad for me anymore, so I can eat it more often."

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Cigarettes should be illegal too.

I'm damn sick and f*cking tired of my taxes and healthcare costs skyrocketing every damn year to pay the way for fat stupid irresponsible dicknoses who sit on their asses, watch TV, smoke cigarettes, and eat Burger King for every meal.

Screw them. I'm sick of paying for their right to be losers.

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
I totaly agree with the ban. It should be a nation wide ban. I think a few countries in europe have already ban man made trans fat.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Cigarettes should be illegal too.

I'm damn sick and f*cking tired of my taxes and healthcare costs skyrocketing every damn year to pay the way for fat stupid irresponsible dicknoses who sit on their asses, watch TV, smoke cigarettes, and eat Burger King for every meal.

Screw them. I'm sick of paying for their right to be losers.
I wholeheartedly agree.

If you live a healthy lifestyle, your insurance rates should be lower. If you're a fatass on lipitor because you won't get off the couch and exercise, and you're 300 pounds overweight, you should be paying a hefty premium on top of your policy.

On the flipside...we're all adults, we should be able to do any damn thing we please. Banning cancer sticks still infringes upon that, and it is a choice. Hell, if you're dumb enough to smoke, quarantine them to closed rooms and don't let secondhand smoke bother non-smokers. Then you can suck smoky death in bliss.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think my main issue is that this is just ANOTHER way for the govt. to make MY decisions for ME and Im against that in almost every capacity.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I think my main issue is that this is just ANOTHER way for the govt. to make MY decisions for ME and Im against that in almost every capacity.
wait, werent you in the army? meaning that at some point you gave up the choice in stuff that could have affected your life forever to a higher command, which in turn responds to the government?
:busted:

yeah, i know you made the decision to let them call the shots, but still, there is some irony in there.

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
wait, werent you in the army? meaning that at some point you gave up the choice in stuff that could have affected your life forever to a higher command, which in turn responds to the government?
:busted:

yeah, i know you made the decision to let them call the shots, but still, there is some irony in there.
No, it means that we (I was in the Army also), gave up a portion of our constitutional rights while we were in service. (And for those that don't know, the minimum service is 8 years, you get put on what is called inactive ready reserve until that 8 years is up). The moment we get our DD219(separation papers), we are civilians again and can say and do what we want.

Now, as to the ban. While I agree with what they are trying to achieve, a healthier population, I would have rather seen them reward restaurants that willingly reduce trans-fat or provide alternate menus for those of us who do try and eat healthier. Rewarding good behaviour is often more successful than punishing bad behaviour. (Crap, too much time spent in Canada, I'm spelling with 'u's all over the place again)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I wasnt in the army, it was the Marines, and I think it did a better job of making me understand what it means to be "free" than jail would have.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Restaurants should be able to serve whatever they want and let the people make the decision for them. If anything just make them disclose what goes into the food.

To combat healthy lifestyles people should be encouraged to taunt and beat up fat kids.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Marie Antoinette, actually...
And she never really said that.

People don't know anything about nutrition OR history. This country is heading downhill fast.
If I want to eat sh!t, that's my prerogative.

The best quote from that story is the fact that we "no longer die of typhoid fever, we die of heart disease". Well no sh!t. If we kill off all the bugs that were ending our life BEFORE the diseases of old age could set in, what's left to kill us off besides diseases of old age? It's inevitable! Even if we eat nothing but freshly caught game, what kills people? Heart attack and stroke. The body wears out.
You know what? Just STOP right there. Heart disease is NOT the body just wearing out. The body wearing out is dying in your bed at 95. Dying of a heart attack or stroke at 55 brought on by bad nutrition and smoking is NOT OLD AGE. Don't they teach you this in witch doctor school?

And yes, eating bad sh!t is my prerogative. The government should not be stopping our citizenry of a lesser intelligence from exiting the gene pool.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
FFS, The fats which contain trans fats are the cheapy cheap **** of all ****. Why do you have a problem with them being banned? If people put chicken **** in burgers to pad them out and the government banned that would you have a problem with it? No, you'd say "Good, no more chicken **** in my burger." Transfats are teh suck for the body, and don't add any value to a meal, they just make it cheaper. If you want to protest your civil ****ing liberties being taken away I think if you look you can find far bigger, far more obvious and meaningful targets. Try googling 'Bush'.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
FFS, The fats which contain trans fats are the cheapy cheap **** of all ****. Why do you have a problem with them being banned? If people put chicken **** in burgers to pad them out and the government banned that would you have a problem with it? No, you'd say "Good, no more chicken **** in my burger." Transfats are teh suck for the body, and don't add any value to a meal, they just make it cheaper. If you want to protest your civil ****ing liberties being taken away I think if you look you can find far bigger, far more obvious and meaningful targets. Try googling 'Bush'.
It's all about the precedent here Chang. At least with me anyway. Next thing you know its all Tofu and bean sprouts. No thanks.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It's all about the precedent here Chang. At least with me anyway. Next thing you know its all Tofu and bean sprouts. No thanks.
Too late bro, the US is the world leader at screwing with food. You have fda enforced folic acid in your pasta, untold sh1t in deli meats, even 'fresh' chicken has 'ingredients'. Your white bread stays 'fresh' over a week (that's just plain wrong).

At least this is removing something nasty rather than adding something 'helpful*'.

*studies show this ingredient causes cancer in lab rats at high doses. FDA recommends this product not to be consumed by pregnant women, young children or the elderly.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
You know what? Just STOP right there. Heart disease is NOT the body just wearing out. The body wearing out is dying in your bed at 95. Dying of a heart attack or stroke at 55 brought on by bad nutrition and smoking is NOT OLD AGE. Don't they teach you this in witch doctor school?
And all that crap in your arteries doesn't cause the heart to work harder and prematurely wear out? Any time the body breaks down it essentially has worn out, be it from overstress, poor construction, what have you.

Just because crap is hitting us earlier in life doesn't mean these aren't classified as "diseases of old age". That term dates back to when you were LUCKY to die of those things, as opposed to some bug slaughtering you in your prime.

Go eat your double cheese.

First of all that statement is a total falacy, you can't compare the extreems of eating only Tofu and Bean sprouts to the removal of one narly ingrediant that only makes food crappier in quality.

I too hate the fact that there seems to be no personal responsibility left in this nation, however when it comes to things like banning trans fats in food, it is totally legit for the government to step in, Its called leagal peternalism and it has to happen to some degreee in this day and age.

There is absolutly no way for anyone to reaserch every purchase decision they make, there are way to many options and way to many choices we make every day. Something that is as nasty as transfats and adds no real enjoyment to anybody's day is something that shouldn't even be allowed in any food in this country.

Yes the responsibility first is presented to the food producers, but most of them are to socially irresponsible they won't make the change, so it reverts back to the gov to regulate. In reality the FDA should of banned trans fats from the very beginning had they known what the deal was with them, same thing with High Fructose Corn Surup, anything with growth hormones, pesticides and antibiotics and all the other nasty shwil in 90% of the food we have available to us. Even an educated consumer has trouble avoiding this crap.

Not only do irresponsibly cheap ways of production only lower the quality of the products produced, they lessen the enjoyment for the consumer (say through a lack of enery because they are injesting chemicals they shouldn't), they actually make life more expensive because everyones insurence and tax rates go up to support the unhealthy nation and to pay the subsidies giving to these big produces,

More importantly then any of that though is the environmental dammage that almost always comes with the cutting corners and saving a few dimes here and there.
Seriously the food you eat is the most important factor to how healthy and enjoyable you life will be.

Why is it everyone has to always put on the macho hat and talk like they enjoy eating crappy food, If I want to put crap in my bodie I will, I'll suck grease strait out grease trap cause I'm the manliest man around. How you going to explain that to your kid and wife when you die at the age of 35 of heart desies leaving them poor and on the streets, how manly is that.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
There is absolutly no way for anyone to reaserch every purchase decision they make, there are way to many options and way to many choices we make every day. Something that is as nasty as transfats and adds no real enjoyment to anybody's day is something that shouldn't even be allowed in any food in this country.

Yes the responsibility first is presented to the food producers, but most of them are to socially irresponsible they won't make the change, so it reverts back to the gov to regulate. In reality the FDA should of banned trans fats from the very beginning had they known what the deal was with them, same thing with High Fructose Corn Surup, anything with growth hormones, pesticides and antibiotics and all the other nasty shwil in 90% of the food we have available to us. Even an educated consumer has trouble avoiding this crap.
1: It is WELL known to even the dumbest people that McDonalds is bad for you. There's no research involved. It's very simple. It's fast food, it's NOT good for you. People simply don't CARE about it, that's the problem.

2: So the FDA is supposed to ban things that prevent our food from being spoiled, eaten by bugs, and infected with bacteria. Great, let's ban pasteurization too. Why not just say we're not allowed to eat anything unless we grow it on our own land?

3: Some companies have indeed begun to cut down the amount of trans-fats in their offerings. I'd have rather awarded them instead of taking a shot at the entire restaurant industry.

There's a bottom line here, and that is that people KNOW this crap is bad for them, but they just don't care. How many times have you heard "So? I eat it because I like it" when referring to how bad fast food is? It's a pretty common line of thinking.

As for being manly, it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with this: If I want a goddamned cheeseburger, I want a goddamned cheeseburger. If I choose to go to Burger King with it's trans fats that's MY prerogative. If I choose to go to a high class place and buy a Kobe burger, that's my prerogative as well. DON'T limit my choice because YOU know what's best for ME.

On a side note, I immensely enjoyed my Dunkin Donuts sandwich.

1: It is WELL known to even the dumbest people that McDonalds is bad for you. There's no research involved. It's very simple. It's fast food, it's NOT good for you. People simply don't CARE about it, that's the problem.

2: So the FDA is supposed to ban things that prevent our food from being spoiled, eaten by bugs, and infected with bacteria. Great, let's ban pasteurization too.

3: As for being manly, it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with this: If I want a goddamned cheeseburger, I want a goddamned cheeseburger. If I choose to go to Burger King with it's trans fats that's MY prerogative. If I choose to go to a high class place and buy a Kobe burger, that's my prerogative as well. DON'T limit my choice because YOU know what's best for ME.

On a side note, I immensely enjoyed my Dunkin Donuts sandwich.
Alright first things first I don't want to take away any of your rights, I agree with you on most counts. I'm all for personal responsibility, and I too myself enjoy a good cheeseburger. Now that we have that clear let me add this.

1.) McDonalds will always be bad for you, yes, pretty much everyone knows that, but how/why are you going to argue for the keeping of something such as trans fats that will only kill you faster and doesn't add any real value to the meal. Their not trying to take away McDonalds just a man-made ingrediant that really shouldn't be eaten by anyone anyways.

2.) As far as pesticides, yes they do serve a puropose in keeping our food yeilds high and safer from bugs, however you end up eating them, and they have an evil side when it comes the the environment they are introduced in to, they get in the soils the water the local animals. Its not healthy and its not a very sustainable farming practice, great were making a tone of food now, but what about in 25, 50, 100 years when the soil is to full of pesticides for anything to grow, no one can drink the watter cause if makes them sick (they don't just disapear when there done serving their purpose), and the bugs have adapted and are no longer detured by the chemicals anyways.

3.) If you want to eat at Burger King, sure it seems like it doesn't effect anyone else. Next time think about this, that beef comes from a factory farm somewhere where it is butchered and proccessed by overworked porly treated workers in unsafe working conditions. The cows are treated in increadibly inhumane ways, they are fed nothing but corn feed with isn't a sufficient diet for cows, so they live life sick, just to keep them alive long enough so they grow enough to be butchard they are pumped full of antibiotics (which ends up in your BK) the massive amount of cows produce their waste leading to methane poisening of the area and gets in all the watter in the area.
I could go on but you should get my point. If you don't I've got a lot more.
Also like someone else stated befor, being a fat ass does effect others we all have to pay for your increaced medical care etc.

And that whole thing about pasturization is another falicy, how does that in any way relate to pesticides, what are the side effects of pasturization that hurt people? you can't compare unrelated topics like that, yeah it might sound good and trick people into believing you, but its compleatly invalid.

Here is a tip, If you want fast food, go somewhere socially responsible, like Chipotle (they serve all freerange pork and chicken), or Goodtimes, they serve Colman Beef (natural, not from a factory farmed cow), I think "In and Out" would qualify too. You talk about rewarding such restraunts, then do it yourself, give them your business.