Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I haven't raced any DH since 2004... I like jumps. My 2008 Sunday has behaved absolutely faultlessly on every jump I've ever hit with it. Infact I don't recall meeting any other Sunday owner who's had an issue with their bike's suspension when jumping. Take from this what you will. ;)
If you never ride anything more modern you won't know what you're missing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ridden plenty more modern bikes than my old Sunday (which I no longer really ride).

Thanks for your concern though.

Feb 24, 2016
Hello peeps I just bought a 07 sunday factory but with the 05 linkage so I should only be able to use a 5th elemento shock, in fact when i bought a dhx 5.0 and tryed to swap, the air case of the shock was hitting the frame. so I realised that if I turned the DW link upside down would fix the problem so. I did it and I'm able to use my dhx 5.0 without the "updated DW LINK" am I doing something wrong? will the DW link brake? I'd apreciate some help pls.

mattvieri

Chimp
Feb 28, 2016
Hi guys

you all seem to be Sunday experts so was wondering if you could answer some questions,

I've got a small 09 World cup

Is it possible to replace the bushing in the dw link?

any of you guys know anywhere to get the non drive side forward bearing retainer?

and does anyone have any experience repairing a worn bearing hole in the front triangle?

reading this list makes me think the bike is ready for the rubbish tip but any input would be appreciated!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
no DWs I can think of unless you count a few minutes on a Glory.

Why I happen to like or dislike a given bike will most likely be fairly irrelevant for you anyway.

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
The lack of endstroke progression is actually grossly exaggerated on the Sunday, based on inaccurate linkage graphs.
i remember DW posted up years ago that the linkage design site was not accurate for the Sunday DW link. Didnt you have a DHR? how did you like that and was the shock tuning / behavior similar or different

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
what other bikes are you riding that you like more than the sunday? Have you tried a DHR or 26" phoenix
Dhr yes, phoenix no. The Dhr and the aurum have the best feeling rear suspension I've ridden. The aurum pedals weird, but I could maybe have solved that if I spent more time tuning the shock. I liked the short rear end better than the Dhr or Sunday. The other dh bikes I've ridden (various glories and demos and a legend) all felt similar to the Sunday rear suspension.

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
looking at buying a used rc4 at the moment, how do i tell if it is small shaft or fat shaft? any specific years that are better than others for this bike? ive heard 12/13 is that still the case? THANKS!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
looking at buying a used rc4 at the moment, how do i tell if it is small shaft or fat shaft? any specific years that are better than others for this bike? ive heard 12/13 is that still the case? THANKS!
Yeah 2012-2013 was the original recommendation, though that was before the small-shaft version came out, and currently I'd recommend that (2014-2015) if you can find it. It'll be more sensitive off the top and bring the Sunday closer in bump performance to modern frames, just run the air volume adjuster fully closed and at least 150psi in the chamber.

Small shaft is 1/2" diameter, fat shaft is 5/8" in diameter.

Does anybody here have the black and silver bearing retainer bolts for the forward dw link mount for sale?
Pearce Cycles usually have them, though looks like they're out of stock. Email them if you haven't already.
http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product_list/209

mattvieri

Chimp
Feb 28, 2016
Yeah 2012-2013 was the original recommendation, though that was before the small-shaft version came out, and currently I'd recommend that (2014-2015) if you can find it. It'll be more sensitive off the top and bring the Sunday closer in bump performance to modern frames, just run the air volume adjuster fully closed and at least 150psi in the chamber.

Small shaft is 1/2" diameter, fat shaft is 5/8" in diameter.

Pearce Cycles usually have them, though looks like they're out of stock. Email them if you haven't already.
http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product_list/209
Unfortunately dude they're all gone. I'm looking to have one custom made but i've lost mine. So to make life easy I'd need just an old one to copy. If anyone have one for an 09 drop me line

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
done and done, got a 2015 with a 1/2 shaft, volume adjuster closed and 155ish psi. im 140 butt ass naked 300lb spring sound right from front page reference? also have a 400 from the dhx. Bikes in pieces so i can't just check sag.

Kevin Scott

Chimp
Apr 12, 2015
Hi fellas

I just got a 14-15 RC4 small shaft and looking to dialling it in before fitting it, but I am not sure which direction "fully closed" is? Am I turning in - or + direction?

Also if anybody has HSC and LSC for the smaller shaft, that would be brilliant!

I am 161lbs or 11.5 stone on a medium 09 WC Sunday in Ireland (not much HSC).

Sorry for the stupid questions!!!!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Hi fellas

I just got a 14-15 RC4 small shaft and looking to dialling it in before fitting it, but I am not sure which direction "fully closed" is? Am I turning in - or + direction?

Sorry for the stupid questions!!!!
Unfortunately I don't have any settings that I can recommend, but I think I can help you with the "fully closed" question. fully closed will be the direction which makes compression the most firm(closing the valve restricts the oil flow, making it firmer), and rebound the slowest(same principle as before, but makes the rebound slower to return). Usually to the "+" side i believe. For a general starting point in finding LSC and HSC settings, I would set both of them in the middle(for example, if there are 20 clicks of adjustment, set them to 10 from fully closed) and adjust them to taste.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

For your weight I would try HSC 8 clicks in from full open (full counter-clockwise), and LSC 2 clicks in from full open. Increase if bottoming out or diving too much. The Sunday doesn't need much compression and you're not particularly heavy. For rebound just make sure it's always set slightly slower than your fork. Pressure I would set at minimum (125psi) after turning the blue bottom out dial all the way in (clockwise until it stops). Drain the pressure before turning the bottom out dial, and re-pressurise afterwards, as it is difficult to turn while pressurised. Don't compress or cycle the shock while de-pressurised though, as it will introduce air.

Closed = fully clockwise = greatest amount of damping.
Open = fully counter-clockwise = least amount of damping.

Kevin Scott

Chimp
Apr 12, 2015
Many thanks csermonet and Udi, really can't get over the difference in the rear shox from a fox van r, would definitely recommend RC4. Well worth the stress of cutting the dw link. I haven't been on the bike in 6 months since changing the rear shock and fork, the pop out of the corners, stability and over all speed was massive!

Last edited:

szacsi72

Chimp
Jan 14, 2015
Hungary
Hey guys!

Could anyone recommend me some settings for a Fox DHX 5.0?
I'm 68kg and I run a 300lbs steel spring. Needed to service the shock so i lost my settings and the only thing i cant do on a bike is setting up the suspension :D

Thanks
David

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Has anyone tried a dhx with the new push mx tune on their sunday?
Bit of a grave dig but since we are in 2016 and is/has anyone using/used a PUSH MX Tune shock on their Sunday ?

If so what are people thoughts ? Im looking at getting one as it seems to be the best possible shock you can get surly, PUSH know there stuff and your getting a customs shimed/tuned shock to riders weight and bike !?!

bendik.ph

Chimp
Oct 6, 2011
i just purchased a used 2007 IH 7 point. I need to have the bearings replaced. Can someone post the different bearing numbers needed for this frame

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
i just purchased a used 2007 IH 7 point. I need to have the bearings replaced. Can someone post the different bearing numbers needed for this frame
Real World Cycling has bearings for Iron Horse - you will need Max-E bearings. While you are there, pick out the needle shock-eye bearings because OE Shock Hardware does not exist, the bike can be rough on the lower shock mount if ridden properly.

bendik.ph

Chimp
Oct 6, 2011
Real World Cycling has bearings for Iron Horse - you will need Max-E bearings. While you are there, pick out the needle shock-eye bearings because OE Shock Hardware does not exist, the bike can be rough on the lower shock mount if ridden properly.
I emailed RWC last week about the needle shock eye bearings but did not get a reply. I do not know which to order for my 2007 7 point if I use a Fox DHX RC4. I also want to get the pivot hardware but can not find a link

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
I emailed RWC last week about the needle shock eye bearings but did not get a reply. I do not know which to order for my 2007 7 point if I use a Fox DHX RC4. I also want to get the pivot hardware but can not find a link
2007-2009 DW*Link Iron Horse have just the one hardware-type - NBKRWC30-IH. Pivot hardware is scarce - eBay seller 'thekollective' has linkage parts and claims to have been prior-staff.

bendik.ph

Chimp
Oct 6, 2011
2007-2009 DW*Link Iron Horse have just the one hardware-type - NBKRWC30-IH. Pivot hardware is scarce - eBay seller 'thekollective' has linkage parts and claims to have been prior-staff.
thank you for the info. i just ordered the bearings and the shock eye needle bearings. i will contact 'thekollective' at ebay

bendik.ph

Chimp
Oct 6, 2011
Dress it up with this. Replace the standard bolt, these are exact tolerance to the inner bearing race. Chris @ RWC has spun his own Shoulder Bolts for current model bearing kits.
Is the McMaster 8mm x 40mm shoulder screw for use as shock bolts at the 7 Point? Do I still need to put DU bushings like this into the Fox shock http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Fox-Racing-Shox/Fox-Shocks-DU-Bearing-Bushing.axd if I use RWC needle shock eye bearing NBKRWC30-IH on the 7 point?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Is the McMaster 8mm x 40mm shoulder screw for use as shock bolts at the 7 Point? Do I still need to put DU bushings like this into the Fox shock http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Fox-Racing-Shox/Fox-Shocks-DU-Bearing-Bushing.axd if I use RWC needle shock eye bearing NBKRWC30-IH on the 7 point?
RWC kits install into a bare shock. No DU Bush assembly or hardware gets used.

The shoulder bolts are secondary to a installed needle bearing kit; everything gets included except the specialty tools RWC also sell. Those machine-bolts are a very precise fit to the inner race and eliminate potential for play at the lower-mount.
They are tight with the top hat washers. These can be expanded to shape w/ a round file.

nbkrwc30ih_210.jpg

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
While riding my sunday this weekend I noticed that the cranks/chain locked up a couple of times. Each time i was blowing through some major rock gardens so the suspension was under load and when I went to pedal the cranks were locked up. A quick back pedal and they were free again. The frame still has the rs vivid on it. Any idea what causes this?

I have the dw on my firebird but never had this happen

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
While riding my sunday this weekend I noticed that the cranks/chain locked up a couple of times. Each time i was blowing through some major rock gardens so the suspension was under load and when I went to pedal the cranks were locked up. A quick back pedal and they were free again. The frame still has the rs vivid on it. Any idea what causes this?

I have the dw on my firebird but never had this happen
sounds like it could be hub problem. no reason the frame would cause that unless the chain was getting jammed up somewhere, like between the suspension uprights and the cranks or something, but if the chain isn't getting jammed up then it has to be the hub

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Chain is jamming in the chain guide. The half crank back is freeing it.
Remove your spring and check chain guide set up a. and clearance throughout the suspension's. compression
A sticky freehub mechanism can add to your problems so also check it freewheels as it should.

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
didnt even think about the guide since it was working perfect except those two times. I will check without the spring and put it on the stand. Hub is sun ringle with only 3 rides on it should be ok. Thanks.

kotajack

Chimp
Feb 25, 2004
Mass
Any of you guys ever make a switch to another frame and come back to the sunday?

I have been looking at a dhr with the dw link but I really have very few complaints with the sunday. From what I have read here, nothing a dhx upgrade cant fix.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I try the DHR DW for one year, and got back to the Sunday.
the Chain Stay was too long, and the Brake Squat was too high. the sunday is just a better bike.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I try the DHR DW for one year, and got back to the Sunday.
the Chain Stay was too long, and the Brake Squat was too high. the sunday is just a better bike.
lol saying the Sunday is a better bike is a bit of a stretch. I came from a Sunday and much prefer the DW DHR over the Sunday. I think what you mean is that the Sunday just suits you as a rider better than the DHR did.