Quantcast

The Official Iron Horse Sunday / DW-Link Tech. & Tuning Section

Jun 25, 2018
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I'm new to the forum and i just got an iron horse Sunday L with 62° upgrade to my Gambler 2010 L and i don't have the frame bearing sizes. Coud someone give me them i know maybe you discussed this in the forum but there are a lot of pages to find them. Thanks alot !

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm new to the forum and i just got an iron horse Sunday L with 62° upgrade to my Gambler 2010 L and i don't have the frame bearing sizes. Coud someone give me them i know maybe you discussed this in the forum but there are a lot of pages to find them. Thanks alot !
Which year model Sunday?
The good Sunday frames (2007-2009) with F7 linkage use extended inner race bearings which are proprietary parts. You can use the kit here: http://enduroforkseals.com/id266.html for a full replacement set.

If you really want to use standard bearings on those year model frames, you can do it but you'll need spacers to take up the gap that the extender inner races otherwise take. These are the four lower bearings only, and are suffixed "MAX-E" (6902-2RS-MAX-E and 6903-2RS-MAX-E). They may also say LLU instead of 2RS, just a slightly tighter seal. For the four upper bearings you can use standard bearings - they are 608-2RS and 6902-2RS.

I added an o-ring to the inside gap of the lower link bearings, which means they last much longer particularly in wet/muddy conditions:
bearing.png

Good luck.

Jun 25, 2018
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Which year model Sunday?
The good Sunday frames (2007-2009) with F7 linkage use extended inner race bearings which are proprietary parts. You can use the kit here: http://enduroforkseals.com/id266.html for a full replacement set.

If you really want to use standard bearings on those year model frames, you can do it but you'll need spacers to take up the gap that the extender inner races otherwise take. These are the four lower bearings only, and are suffixed "MAX-E" (6902-2RS-MAX-E and 6903-2RS-MAX-E). They may also say LLU instead of 2RS, just a slightly tighter seal. For the four upper bearings you can use standard bearings - they are 608-2RS and 6902-2RS.

I added an o-ring to the inside gap of the lower link bearings, which means they last much longer particularly in wet/muddy conditions:
View attachment 129301

Good luck.
I need the exact sizes for shock bushings to give them to a hardware store to make them for me !

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The shock hardware (reducers) are 30x10mm (30mm wide, 10mm ID, 12.7mm OD) at both ends of the shock on your frame. The DU bushings are standard 12.7mm ID items.

The actual shock bolts are custom parts, measure your own if you want some made.

If you want any more info it's time to stop being lazy and read through the thread.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
So i've bought a cheap sunday setup for a winter project, only got 126 pages to read through now.

Apparently it is a Kinesis model which was made of different tubing and was for the team, might be BS but sounded good.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I’m picking up a new (to me) Sunday frame. I can’t really justify buying a new DH bike being that I am returning to school (switching careers) and coming from a not so well paying industry. I’m basically doing a straight swap for a Sunday from my Diamondback DB5 DH bike. I know, I know. The Sunday is OLD. I had one before the DB5 and loved the HELL out of it. I never liked the DB (it was too large for me and just never really appealed to me). Hopefully my nostalgia proves correct on the Sunday. It only needs to last for a couple shuttle days a year and a couple weeks in Whistler (I’ll have my Rune still, which is what I’ve been riding for shuttling and the park the last couple years anyway if I do hate it).

Anyhow, I have a fat shaft DHX RC4 with low tune that needs a check-up. I figured since I am already sending it in for servicing, I should probably get it tuned too. Who does this for Sundays anymore? Vorsprung is close enough and Steve is a rad guy. I live in Seattle, but frequently find myself in Bellingham.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I’m picking up a new (to me) Sunday frame. I can’t really justify buying a new DH bike being that I am returning to school (switching careers) and coming from a not so well paying industry. I’m basically doing a straight swap for a Sunday from my Diamondback DB5 DH bike. I know, I know. The Sunday is OLD. I had one before the DB5 and loved the HELL out of it. I never liked the DB (it was too large for me and just never really appealed to me). Hopefully my nostalgia proves correct on the Sunday. It only needs to last for a couple shuttle days a year and a couple weeks in Whistler (I’ll have my Rune still, which is what I’ve been riding for shuttling and the park the last couple years anyway if I do hate it).

Anyhow, I have a fat shaft DHX RC4 with low tune that needs a check-up. I figured since I am already sending it in for servicing, I should probably get it tuned too. Who does this for Sundays anymore? Vorsprung is close enough and Steve is a rad guy. I live in Seattle, but frequently find myself in Bellingham.
That may be a problem, on some bikes it's an incredibly bad shock for the application, mostly with the longer-stroke usages if I remember correctly. These had the pro-pedal, which was bad, but the other issue was related to the fluid volume displaced with the large shaft version. Can't remember exactly what it was off the top of my head. Not an issue on some travel/stroke combinations.

Mumblemiler

Chimp
Mar 29, 2019
So, a little while after the last post on this thread, which I've read voraciously after becoming a recent owner to a (I think) 2005 Sunday.

It has the 8mm shock hardware, a Progressive 5th Element shock and a silver bottom link.

Shock is weeping oil from the rebound adjuster, and given its age I am assuming its a no go for a rebuild/repair.

On a very tight budget, so considering a DNM shock from Taiwan and appropriate mods to lower link.

Thoughts and/or advice welcome!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@Olly no need, it seems my trained minions have replicated my workflow perfectly.
I agree, send it to Craig and have it rebuilt and refreshed. I'd prefer that to switching to a cheap shock, no mods needed.

My second choice (on a budget) would be to find a decent condition used DHX5.0, PB buysell or ebay, as they should fit the stock frame - or with very minimal modding. Do cycle shock in frame with spring removed to confirm if going this route. 2006+ frames came with this shock stock, I forget if the link needed to change for it or not.

The material removal required to fit the RC4 is much greater, and I'd restrict this to the F7 links (forged 7075) from 2007 onwards, I'm unsure about the earlier frames on that front.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The '05 came with the 5th Element. The '06 came with the Fox DHX stock and the ano red link. The link could be purchased aftermarket (back in the day). If you have the ano red one, then you can run a Fox.

Mumblemiler

Chimp
Mar 29, 2019
Thanks guys, UK based, so the cost of shipping shock out/back plus the $185 or so for the service is eating up a lot of money for me. Will check market for a used shock as well.

That said, I can always save up!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
In that case you could contact TFTuned (UK based) on servicing your 5th element.
You should be aware that the most common wear parts (seals in the adjusters, as well as the shaft seals and wiper) are not specific to the 5th element, so a good service center can still rebuild your shock. Those were tuned for the frames correctly and worked decently from what I recall, so it's probably not the worst option to just get it running like new again if it suits your budget.

However, you should definitely also check your local MTB classifieds (whatever they are - usually these days it's just MTB-specific sale groups on facebook) for a DHX5.0 in 9.5x3.0, there's plenty of them out there. In my experience if they're visually in good condition externally, there's a tendency for them to be good on the inside too. With everyone switching to enduro, when these parts pop up in DH size they're usually very cheap.

Good luck!

Mumblemiler

Chimp
Mar 29, 2019
Unfortunately TFT no longer service the shock, and neither does anyone else in the UK from what I can see. I've seen a suitable (240x76) Rock Shox Kage RC that can be had brand new for less than the cost of a service on any shock I've ever had. Anyone tried this on a Sunday?

Apr 17, 2014
Soooo... After all this mullet bike revolution is anyone thinking of running a 650b on the front of the Sunday?
Has anyone tried the 26 rear / 650b front on the Sunday? Opinions?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Soooo... After all this mullet bike revolution is anyone thinking of running a 650b on the front of the Sunday?
Has anyone tried the 26 rear / 650b front on the Sunday? Opinions?
@AndySTi can comment as he's been running his 2009 WC like this for a while.
I'd definitely run it that way if I had to ride a Sunday again.

Sputnick

Chimp
Aug 2, 2019
This thread is an awesome source of information for these weapons!
I have recently got my own after always wanting one when I raced 10 years ago.
Took me forever to find one in the 19", this one popped up on Facebook for stupidly cheap and I snagged it straight away.
It needed some proper loving, have done a full rebuild with new bearings.
Total cost including new bearings is under $500AUD!
Had to do the grub screw mod to the DW link to stop play in the bottom linkage.

Still a bucket load of fun to ride, and fast!
On the lookout for a 27.5" front wheel to try out, but am in no hurry.

20190803_120928_resized.jpg

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hi, I’m just wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I have a 2009 Sunday team that I am currently restoring. I am trying to find pivot bolts but I can’t find them anywhere. Can anyone suggest where I might be able to source. Thanks Kieran
Back in the day when we needed hardware spares we would actually order parts from McMaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/

Try looking around here - you should be able to find what you need. May I suggest looking for "Shoulder Bolts" as a starting point.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Pearce Cycles in the UK used to stock a lot of spares for the Sunday. They might still have some stuff laying around. Try contacting them.
It was James. Pearce Cycles mechanic who used to machine varous ironhorse parts/spares, fit them and resolve various issues with the frames. He left Pearce many years back to set up his own supension servicing and tuning company.
He's an extremely helpful guy so it might still be worth dropping him an email.

Sunday_BG

Chimp
Nov 26, 2019
Hello guys. I have bought a Sunday frame couple of weeks ago, and I was wondering, if anyone have some spare patrs that can sell/send to me for this frame? I've read some of this thread, and found usefull info about contacting Pearce Cycles, sending a mail to the J-TECH and so, but no luck for now. I'm trying to install 2014 rockshox rc2, and a bos link is the part I mostly need. Can anyone help?
Thanks

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Hello guys. I have bought a Sunday frame couple of weeks ago, and I was wondering, if anyone have some spare patrs that can sell/send to me for this frame? I've read some of this thread, and found usefull info about contacting Pearce Cycles, sending a mail to the J-TECH and so, but no luck for now. I'm trying to install 2014 rockshox rc2, and a bos link is the part I mostly need. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Can you dremel cut the extra material in your stock link? IIRC that's what most people did that didn't have '08+ frames/links made to fit the RS Vivid.

Might be difficult to find that BOS link.

Bnito

Chimp
Feb 18, 2020
Old thread, old bikes :)

Built this one for my 12year old son, found it cheap. Bike was in quite good condition. Rebuilt it, serviced front fork, powdercoated frame, ordered a set of stickers. Rebuilt rims. 200lbs spring was the lightest available, boy weights around 45kg. Front is old 09 boxxer, just new stickers, rear shock is vivid 5.1. Did not service it as it seemed to work just fine and don't have knowledge yet of rear shocks. Frame is size small. Also installed Superstarcomponents -2 angleset.

Haven't yet measured weight, i'd assume 16.5-16kgs. Measured weight pretty much 17kgs :disgust: Could be a bit lighter for young rider but we'll see how it feels.

Maybe by swapping components could drop around 500grams, but i doubt that is worth it.

ironhorse_rezised.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
sweet kids bike
fit a shorter lower stem and sort the saddle angle for him out though

Bnito

Chimp
Feb 18, 2020
I just slammed the saddle there, but we will sort the angle... still few months till he can actually ride it as its winter here in finland. But overall the riding position looks quite good. I could look for a little more shorter seat post which could be inserted a bit deeper, theres still few centimeters it could go deeper but the current seatpost has bigger diameter up top which prevents it to go further...

I've tried to google a bit about the original crankset, i read somewhere that the cranks are quite heavy (1300 grams) cranks nowaydays weight a lot less, and i could get one for cheap, they should weight closer to 750 grams so almost half, just wondering if the original cranks really are that heavy?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

stellan996

Chimp
Apr 27, 2020
Hi all those looking for linkages, hit up BETD, bought mine from them last month. Heresy current project. Will take a full picture of bike tomorow

06 sunday team
Marzocchi bomber c2r shock
Original boxxer team fork
New shimano brakes each end
Straitline boxxer dm short stem
Straitline 36t chainring
Straitline defacto pedals
Lg1+ chainguide
Raceface atlas raised bars
5mm stem stem spacer

Hopung after this season to strip it, paint it and fit new linkage and bearings

Attachments