Quantcast

the oil issue

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
There are tons of facts and figures, assumptions, and non-sequiters (sp?) floating around in regard to the oil. How much we get and from where.

I think we all can agree that www.snopes2.com is a good source for the true/false of nearly anything right?

Well here is this:

The subject is another email falsehood (yes, I'm guilty of spreading one or two as are you, admit it.) about from where oil originates. Snopes goes on to explain where the stuff actually comes from.

Relevant, sure.
Educational, sure.
Does it matter, in the larger scheme, probably not but it's nice to know some truth because we are not privy to all of it.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/nogas.htm

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Heard a bizarre theroy yesterday.
Summarizing:
"The whole idea behind the Carter Doctrine is that we want to be dependant on Mid-East oil and use as much of it as we can. Continueing to do so until it becomes increasingly expensive for Mid-East nations to produce (ie drilling deeper costs more etc) at which time we cease buying oil from the region and shift the balance of economic power to the region of our chosing. Unless of course we have developed alternatives of our own."

Kinda crackpot eh? But on some level it makes a bit of sense. Gold is no longer commercially mined in CA because it is too expensive to do so.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Damn True
Heard a bizarre theroy yesterday.
Summarizing:
"The whole idea behind the Carter Doctrine is that we want to be dependant on Mid-East oil and use as much of it as we can. Continueing to do so until it becomes increasingly expensive for Mid-East nations to produce (ie drilling deeper costs more etc) at which time we cease buying oil from the region and shift the balance of economic power to the region of our chosing. Unless of course we have developed alternatives of our own."

Kinda crackpot eh? But on some level it makes a bit of sense. Gold is no longer commercially mined in CA because it is too expensive to do so.

It seems like super-long-range planning, to a point of being unbelievable. "And our flying cars won't need gas, they'll run on poo!"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
a friend of mine sent that around, and i passed it on to my brother who pays the bills buying and selling oil as a broker. he said it's all bunk, because stuff changes hands so often you can never tell it's real provence (as was noted in the Snopes thing).