Quantcast

The pain of upgrading is so worth it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I looked at the PC requirements for Assassin's Creed, I noticed my machine was not up to snuff.

# Processor: Dual core processor 2.6 GHz Intel® Pentium® D or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+ (Intel Core® 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or better recommended)
# RAM: 1 GB Windows Xp / 2 GB Windows Vista
# 256 MB DirectX® 10.0-compliant video card or DirectX 9.0-compliant card with Shader Model 3.0 or higher

Frys had the usual sale, so I went shopping over the weekend. After installing a new motherboard, RAM, power supply, and video card, I had to do a clean install of XP and I'm sure I forgot to back something up.

It took nearly 4 hours of installs, patches, updates, and reboots to get up and running. But holy hell, this thing is smoking fast now (at least it runs the game without issues)!

AMD 64 x2 5200+
GeForce 7050 chipset
ATI HD2600xt Pro 512MB video card
4GB 800MHz RAM
Antec TruePower Trio 550W power suply

$340 to play a $50 game. Seems a bit silly, but after playing it for a few hours last night, it's all worth it. I just ordered a 22" widescreen monitor because the old one just didn't do the graphics justice.

All in all a cheap, yet effective build. My last build was free, so I was a little spoiled.