Quantcast

The pasta!

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Step 1: the pasta dough magically appears on the counter. I don't know where those crumbs came from.

Step 2: the awesome machine

Step 3: yay!

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Here's one I learned this summer from my relatives in Rome.
"It's like carbonara, but with tomatoes and onions instead of the eggs."

Pasta alla matriciana:
Ingredients
  • pancetta or bacon, cut into small into pieces
  • medium onion, chopped small/diced
  • pecorino romano cheese, grated
  • tomato, see instructions below
  • white wine
  • pepper, hot pepper
  • olive oil

• Fry the onion and pancetta/bacon in some olive oil until the onions are pale and start to turn light gold. The pancetta/bacon should just start to crisp around the edges.
  • Add a small cup of white wine and let is mostly evaporate
  • Add the tomato--my uncle says then cook for 15 minutes if using fresh tomatoes, or 1 hour if using canned. Cook it until you're satisfied. Amounts are hardly ever specified, but it's probably around 28oz of tomatoes. Good Italian plum tomatoes, of course. Break them up with your spoon as you cook the sauce.
  • Don't forget the hot pepper, however much you want. Salt too.
  • Toss your pasta with the sauce and with the pecorino romano. Parmesan will do in a pinch, but at least some pecorino makes it much better.
Enjoy! Best with spaghetti.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ahh... I think I have the same pasta maker. :thumb:

Although the whole "like carbonara except with tomatoes and onions instead of the eggs" kinda freaks me out. :p

My favorite sauce for fresh pasta is a wild mushroom ragout. :drool:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I thought the "like carbonara w/ tomatoes, etc." was weird too, until I realized that all my uncle really meant was that both sauces contain olive oil and pancetta cooked about the same way, plus some white wine. He's a funny guy sometimes.

You can kind of see the spaghetti alla matriciana in this pic:

The pasta in the foreground is penne w/ tartufo (truffle). There must have been a fire sale on truffles, because it was loaded, and only 4euro.

Wild mushroom ragout sounds amazing. :drool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
recipe looks good, but finding fresh morels and porcinis is about as easy as getting a ride report out of Stosh.
Did you miss the "when I can get them" part?

I made the recipe with dried porcinis and dried $hitakes and it still came out :drool:

Give it a shot.

Edit: you could always head to my mom's land - there are always morels that go to waste in the back 40. :(

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, we can get fresh porcini now and then, but they're expensive and it's difficult to know the quality, origin, etc. I've had mixed results when I've decided to pay the price, and I generally prefer to stick with chanterelles, ****akes, and random, lesser-known varieties that show up in the markets around here. Morels can be found in season and they're not that expensive (speaking relatively) but my understanding is that they typically come from Washington and Oregon.

In other news, is it me or did SS just invite us over to his Mom's place? Hubba hubba, bow-chicka-wow-wow. :brows:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Yeah, we can get fresh porcini now and then, but they're expensive and it's difficult to know the quality, origin, etc. I've had mixed results when I've decided to pay the price, and I generally prefer to stick with chanterelles, ****akes, and random, lesser-known varieties that show up in the markets around here. Morels can be found in season and they're not that expensive (speaking relatively) but my understanding is that they typically come from Washington and Oregon.
I'd really like to be able to identify edibles, because our mountains positively explode with fungus in the late summer given the right conditions. There are oodles of different kinds available including portabellos, chantrelles, *and* porcinis (boletus)... as well as lots of poisonous ones. :dead:

In other news, is it me or did SS just invite us over to his Mom's place? Hubba hubba, bow-chicka-wow-wow. :brows:
Goddam perverts. :rant:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Here's another one I like. It worked out pretty well with fresh fettuccine. My gramps has become allergic to tomatoes in his old age, but he loves the fresh pasta, so I've been looking for non-tomato pasta dressings. (Recipe from M. Hazan)

2 pounds fresh spinach or 2 ten-ounce packages thawed frozen
spinach, chopped
¼ pound butter (more or less)
2 ounces unsmoked boiled ham, chopped
Salt
grated nutmeg
¼ cup(+) fresh ricotta
½ cup grated parmigiano

If using fresh spinach, remove the stems, cook, and gently squeeze some of the moisture from it and set aside. If using thawed frozen spinach, squeeze the moisture from it, chop fine (if it's not already broken up), and set aside. Put half the butter in a sauté pan and turn on the heat to medium high. When the butter foam begins to subside, add the ham, turn it two or three times, then add the spinach and liberal pinches of salt. Saute the spinach over lively heat, turning it frequently for about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and mix in the nutmeg. Toss the cooked and drained pasta with the contents of the pan, plus the ricotta, the remaining butter, and the grated parmigiano. Serve at once.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Here's one I learned this summer from my relatives in Rome.
"It's like carbonara, but with tomatoes and onions instead of the eggs."

Pasta alla matriciana:
Ingredients
  • pancetta or bacon, cut into small into pieces
  • medium onion, chopped small/diced
  • pecorino romano cheese, grated
  • tomato, see instructions below
  • white wine
  • pepper, hot pepper
  • olive oil

• Fry the onion and pancetta/bacon in some olive oil until the onions are pale and start to turn light gold. The pancetta/bacon should just start to crisp around the edges.
  • Add a small cup of white wine and let is mostly evaporate
  • Add the tomato--my uncle says then cook for 15 minutes if using fresh tomatoes, or 1 hour if using canned. Cook it until you're satisfied. Amounts are hardly ever specified, but it's probably around 28oz of tomatoes. Good Italian plum tomatoes, of course. Break them up with your spoon as you cook the sauce.
  • Don't forget the hot pepper, however much you want. Salt too.
  • Toss your pasta with the sauce and with the pecorino romano. Parmesan will do in a pinch, but at least some pecorino makes it much better.
Enjoy! Best with spaghetti.
I made this last evening. I substituted some lemon boy 'maters for the plum and cooked a bit longer since the lemon boys are very juicy. No hot pepper since the boys aren't universally a fan of hot spice (yet).

Lots of fresh pecorino and we MOWED through it. Good stuff for sure and SIMPLE. :thumb:

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006

It always seems like it takes forever to make these things. But the only thing that competes in absolute deliciousness is homemade ravioli.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I've never tried sweet potato; I might have to do that sometime. Is there a sauce that goes particularly well with sweet potato gnocchi?