Quantcast

The Pope Has Passed On...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
dh girlie said:
I'll put that one in the dead file. I was being cadly and intimating that my pants were currently around my ankles...something just not possible at work, at least during duty hours. When you take too many hard cuts with the bat, you're bound to wiff on occasion. :o:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I believe that once the pope is dead there is a tremendous amount of ceremony and pomp and circumstance... When he is dead a cardinal or bishop will call his true name 3 times asking him if he is really dead. If the pope does not answer then he (the bishop) takes the papal ring from his hand. I am not sure but I believe that they destroy the ring and make a new one for the new pope. They also close a set of doors to the vatican. I forget but they are very ceremonial. They get closed whenever a pope dies.

The cardinals and /or bishops will vote on th new pope. I am not sure about how they decide on who to vote for and all that. It's been a while since I was in Catholic school. I do remember when John Paul II became pope. It was huge in the catholic schools... teaching about the process and all that. Of course I was in elementery school and don't remember toomuch about it.

I'll see if I can find a better description on the new pope process...

Edit: Here is a good description of the new pope process... It's long so I'll just post the linky and the first few sentences...

http://www.catholicplanet.com/articles/papal-election1.htm

The rules governing the election of the next Pope are determined by the Apostolic Constitution Universi Dominici Gregis (UDG), written by John Paul II and promulgated on February 22 of 1996. After the death of Pope John Paul II, the next Pope will be chosen by the Cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm going to hell regardless, so it if is a joke, I should be the one to report it.

Either way, I haven't heard firm/reliable news.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ciaran said:
I believe that once the pope is dead there is a tremendous amount of ceremony and pomp and circumstance... When he is dead a cardinal or bishop will call his true name 3 times asking him if he is really dead. If the pope does not answer then he (the bishop) takes the papal ring from his hand. I am not sure but I believe that they destroy the ring and make a new one for the new pope. They also close a set of doors to the vatican. I forget but they are very ceremonial. They get closed whenever a pope dies.

The cardinals and /or bishops will vote on th new pope. I am not sure about how they decide on who to vote for and all that. It's been a while since I was in Catholic school. I do remember when John Paul II became pope. It was huge in the catholic schools... teaching about the process and all that. Of course I was in elementery school and don't remember toomuch about it.

Edit: Here is a good description of the new pope process... It's long so I'll just post the linky and the first few sentences...

The rules governing the election of the next Pope are determined by the Apostolic Constitution Universi Dominici Gregis (UDG), written by John Paul II and promulgated on February 22 of 1996. After the death of Pope John Paul II, the next Pope will be chosen by the Cardinals of the Roman Catholic Church

Do you do any acting out of this ceremony? Like in costumes??? :D:D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Ciaran said:

That's not how it works... haven't you read Angels and Demons?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Jeremy R said:
I knew as I typed that, the kind of person who would appreciate it, is the same kind of person who would post a picture of a Mars bar with a glass of water sitting on it.
What can I say? I like cheesy humor :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
they burn the thingy and the smoke from the chimbly, then the cardinals meet, and then they ring the bell for the new pup!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, here is the rediculously long way of how to find out the pope is dead:

Following is what is specified by Vatican law, according to Rev Thomas Reese, editor in chief of America, the Catholic weekly magazine, and author of Inside the Vatican: The Politics and Organisation of the Catholic Church.

When the pope dies, the prefect of the papal household, Bishop James Harvey, informs the "camerlengo" or chamberlain, Cardinal Eduardo Martinez Somalo, who must verify his death.

He must do this in the presence of the papal master of ceremonies, Archbishop Piero Marini, the cleric prelates of the Apostolic Camera and the secretary of the Apostolic Camera.

The secretary of the Apostolic Camera draws up a death certificate.

The camerlengo then tells the vicar of Rome, Cardinal Camillo Ruini, of the pope's death and the vicar informs the people of Rome.

In the meantime, the prefect of the papal household tells the dean of the college of cardinals, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who in turn informs the rest of the college, the ambassadors accredited to the Holy See and the heads of nations.
Advertisement
Advertisement

While this is the formal procedure, most people will learn of the pope's death from the media.
But Wait, Here comes the best part!

As late as 1903, at the death of Pope Leo XIII, a pope's death was verified by striking the pontiff's forehead with a silver hammer. It may also have been used on John XXIII, who died in 1963, according to America weekly's website.
Source

Following is what is specified by Vatican law, according to Rev Thomas Reese, editor in chief of America, the Catholic weekly magazine, and author of Inside the Vatican: The Politics and Organisation of the Catholic Church.

When the pope dies, the prefect of the papal household, Bishop James Harvey, informs the "camerlengo" or chamberlain, Cardinal Eduardo Martinez Somalo, who must verify his death.

He must do this in the presence of the papal master of ceremonies, Archbishop Piero Marini, the cleric prelates of the Apostolic Camera and the secretary of the Apostolic Camera.

The secretary of the Apostolic Camera draws up a death certificate.

The camerlengo then tells the vicar of Rome, Cardinal Camillo Ruini, of the pope's death and the vicar informs the people of Rome.

In the meantime, the prefect of the papal household tells the dean of the college of cardinals, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who in turn informs the rest of the college, the ambassadors accredited to the Holy See and the heads of nations.
Advertisement
Advertisement

While this is the formal procedure, most people will learn of the pope's death from the media.
Well, based on that drawn out preceedure, my guess is, he's probably already kicked the bucket and they're going through the rigorous steps outlined above. Sorry I was premature in posting the demise of the Pope. I was listening to Fox News on the radio as they were reporting it. Fricken media.... :rolleyes: