Quantcast

The push for reparations grows....

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
LordOpie said:
If Africa is so great, why don't african-americans go back?

Was it wrong to kidnap and enslave them? Of course, but their descendents have a better life here than in AIDS and Malaria ridden, economically depressed, genocidal waste-land their non-enslaved brethen exist in.
How come when white people piss and moan about things they don't like they aren't told "go back to Europe"? Or Israel even...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Old Man G Funk said:
Go back to Australia.:oink:
God, I wish mate. I'm still trying to find that perfect mix of bad behaviour that's enough to get me deported but not enough to get me sent to jail.
:rofl:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Valve Bouncer's negative feedback said:
didn't realise you were such a racist.VB
How is what I said racist?

I wasn't commenting on people, but geography, politics, health and economics. Africa is one jacked up continent that's either ignored by the UN/US or lied to by the Vatican.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
valve bouncer said:
How come when white people piss and moan about things they don't like they aren't told "go back to Europe"? Or Israel even...
We get "go to hell." Duh.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Several times people (americans) have asked me why the Quebec french don't go "back to France".....I then remind them that technically, the french have been in quebec longer than the americans in america.....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MMike said:
Several times people (americans) have asked me why the Quebec french don't go "back to France".....I then remind them that technically, the french have been in quebec longer than the americans in america.....
Except those native americans...

Oh, and mexicans.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MMike said:
I'm quite sure that most Americans could careless where they are as long as they aren't here.

Now I suspect that a TON of English speakin' Canadians ask your question all the time.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
So who's supposed to be paying the reparations? The slave owners, the slave shippers, the slave traders, the slave catchers, or the original tenants of the plantations where the slaves worked?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
fluff said:
So who's supposed to be paying the reparations? The slave owners, the slave shippers, the slave traders, the slave catchers, or the original tenants of the plantations where the slaves worked?
I dont see how ANY of those people could be held liable because slavery was LEGAL. They didnt break any laws, only operated within them, so Im not quite sure anyone should have legal standing to demand money from them.
The only thing I could see is if the govt. payed out for making "bad" decisions, but it was a different world back then, and MY tax dollars shouldnt go to that. Im only 2nd gen. american.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
BurlyShirley said:
I dont see how ANY of those people could be held liable because slavery was LEGAL. They didnt break any laws, only operated within them, so Im not quite sure anyone should have legal standing to demand money from them.
The only thing I could see is if the govt. payed out for making "bad" decisions, but it was a different world back then, and MY tax dollars shouldnt go to that. Im only 2nd gen. american.
Well, I was being facetious but your response made me think about the legality of slave trading.

First the slaves had to be captured. Probably illegal in their eyes, and possibly in their homeland. Now if we ignore that part then it still is questionable as one can only assume that whilst is was legal to then transport, trade and own these slaves, it was illegal to just randomly enslave people? So the law would have been built on the premise that slaves were effectively a sub-people. So whilst it may have been legal it was certainly immoral.

So, are there any legal precedents for retrospective action for legal yet immoral acts?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well from my understanding, it wasnt like europeans went in and just rounded up a bunch of people to be slaves. They traded goods to african tribes who provided slaves.
Now, if africans are capturing africans, then how's it illegal on the traders' part?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
BurlyShirley said:
Well from my understanding, it wasnt like europeans went in and just rounded up a bunch of people to be slaves. They traded goods to african tribes who provided slaves.
Now, if africans are capturing africans, then how's it illegal on the traders' part?
Slaves were often captured by other African tribes. Arabs were the mainstay of the slave trading, Europeans were doing a lot of the transporting (and the US was pretty much European in attitude and culture after all).

As for the second question, if it's illegal to enslave people, how can it be legal to own slaves? It's a bit like stealing and owning stolen goods.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
It's legal to own slaves. Says so in the Bible.

You people could avoid a lot of worry with a little reading of the good book. Man, I wish I had a couple of hot horny daughters to get me drunk right now...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
fluff said:
Slaves were often captured by other African tribes. Arabs were the mainstay of the slave trading, Europeans were doing a lot of the transporting (and the US was pretty much European in attitude and culture after all).

As for the second question, if it's illegal to enslave people, how can it be legal to own slaves? It's a bit like stealing and owning stolen goods.
Still, this is the fault of the lawmakers, not the people operating under the laws.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Silver said:
Be careful with that. You just let Himmler off the hook there...
Dude, Im just saying you cant go and sue Chevy for not having seatbelts before seatbelts were required. You cant make people pay money for essentially following the law. Makes no sense. What's next?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
BurlyShirley said:
Dude, Im just saying you cant go and sue Chevy for not having seatbelts before seatbelts were required. You cant make people pay money for essentially following the law. Makes no sense. What's next?
I agree with you. Slavery at the time was normal, accepted by most cultures, and wasn't in general frowned upon. That doesn't make it right, but at the same time, it wasn't like the slave trade was a new thing that popped up overnight that turned the conventional rules of morality around.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If reparations must be paid I'd suggest that they be issued soley in the form of education credit. If you aren't willing to commit the funds to bettering yourself/a family member then you're SOL.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Silver said:
I agree with you. Slavery at the time was normal, accepted by most cultures, and wasn't in general frowned upon. That doesn't make it right, but at the same time, it wasn't like the slave trade was a new thing that popped up overnight that turned the conventional rules of morality around.
Shouldn't the lawsuits be directed back to the various tribes in Africa that actually did the selling of their rivals into slavery? Or maybe include the Arabs who sold millions into bondage as well..?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
LordOpie said:
If Africa is so great, why don't african-americans go back?

Was it wrong to kidnap and enslave them? Of course, but their descendents have a better life here than in AIDS and Malaria ridden, economically depressed, genocidal waste-land their non-enslaved brethen exist in.
And who caused that ****hole known as Africa...yeah...okay.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
fluff said:
So, are there any legal precedents for retrospective action for legal yet immoral acts?
numerberg trials??
in fact there is, in international law, an exemption to the retroactive application of laws, regardless of jurisdiction and local laws, for genocide, crimes against humanity and stuff like that.

you can well argue that against slavery.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
ALEXIS_DH said:
numerberg trials??
in fact there is, in international law, an exemption to the retroactive application of laws, regardless of jurisdiction and local laws, for genocide, crimes against humanity and stuff like that.

you can well argue that against slavery.
But at what historical distance does that cease to apply? You can't go sueing Mongolia for the destruction caused by Ghengis Kahn.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
BurlyShirley said:
But at what historical distance does that cease to apply? You can't go sueing Mongolia for the destruction caused by Ghengis Kahn.
actually, genocide, crimes against humanity and stuff like that "do not prescribe", that can pretty much mean "forever", unless there is a precedent for said case where a related claim has been dropped.....

although i believe affirmative actions is a good enough form of reparation.. its not a handout, but gives an incentive to achieving miniorities (who would otherwise have it too hard to compete, partly because their background and history) by lowering the bar, then hopefully, wealth attained by harder work will trickle down...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
blue said:
And who caused that ****hole known as Africa...yeah...okay.
How about this... attach a monetary figure to reparations and use that money to improve the African motherland?