Quantcast

the random thought thread

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You will never see Hillary in a tank top.
A cold blooded General never would have advanced on Trenton in the winter. Washington also distilled whiskey. Alcohol is poisonous to lizards.
For delicious Chicken. I would have advanced on Trenton and I am a pussy. Just not sure... Mashded ptators, coleslaw, bisquits and gravy.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The need to have that aha moment should always be prefaced by the fact that most of us cannot remember the last time we were punched in the face... Think of that the next time you mouth off to a stranger...

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My neighbor has been working on his 30 year old deck for a week. He has resorted to taking a palm sander to it. Not sure if he is an idiot with an penchant for the mundane, or if he just prefers the incessant whine of a power tool over the incessant screeching of his wife.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
manuals ain't easy to find in that segment ...
Yeah that's so true. Sucks balls.

I've been toying with getting rid of the current car, for something that actually gives more power for the same fuel consumption.

But I've not ever owned an automatic car, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. The Lexus IS-F seems like the perfect replacement, minus is being a sedan. Pretty much the same as @stoneys M5, but with slightly better reliability. Prices look good, too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah that's so true. Sucks balls.

I've been toying with getting rid of the current car, for something that actually gives more power for the same fuel consumption.

But I've not ever owned an automatic car, so I'm not sure how I feel about that. The Lexus IS-F seems like the perfect replacement, minus is being a sedan. Pretty much the same as @stoneys M5, but with slightly better reliability. Prices look good, too.
Gone are the days of the crappy old 3 speed slushboxes. Modern high gear count autos do a great job of never ever being in the gear you want. Nothing is more satisfying than cracking the throttle a little bit and having the car down shift 3 gears and scream near redline before quickly shifting back up as you simply try to maintain your speed over a small incline.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Gone are the days of the crappy old 3 speed slushboxes. Modern high gear count autos do a great job of never ever being in the gear you want. Nothing is more satisfying than cracking the throttle a little bit and having the car down shift 3 gears and scream near redline before quickly shifting back up as you simply try to maintain your speed over a small incline.
I rate this post as useful and informative.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
it's not racerboi, it's enjoying the experience of controlling what the fuck is going on, just a little bit. it's enjoying driving for the same reason you don't ride a fucking ebike.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
it's not racerboi, it's enjoying the experience of controlling what the fuck is going on, just a little bit. it's enjoying driving for the same reason you don't ride a fucking ebike.
This. No AT gives me the same level of throttle control like a good old clutch + a fun stick. It has nothing to do with racing or acceleration, all to do with precision. ATs suck.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This. No AT gives me the same level of throttle control like a good old clutch + a fun stick. It has nothing to do with racing or acceleration, all to do with precision. ATs suck.
An automatic can never anticipate what might happen, I can. I also think things like automatics, auto braking, auto lane control etc., further separates the driver from driving, allowing people to not pay attention and do dangerous dipshit things like text while driving.

I also dislike the direction of touchscreens in cars. Tactile controls allow you to feel what you are doing and keep your eyes on the road. Touchscreens require you to look at what you are doing.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
An automatic can never anticipate what might happen, I can. I also think things like automatics, auto braking, auto lane control etc., further separates the driver from driving, allowing people to not pay attention and do dangerous dipshit things like text while driving.
I used to drive a manual, but I prefer an automatic for city driving. It's so much easier to sharpen my knives when I don't have to shift.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Tis a fool's errand to ever leave the house without all knives fully sharpened.
I dunno, I've got a lot of knives. Sometimes it's really hard to keep track of them all so I usually just start with a pile on the dash so they're easy to reach. In the summer I like to ride with the windows down and tend to lose a few under hard braking. But like I said, I've got more.

You're a pretty resourceful guy, do you know where I can get a good asbestos free, steering wheel mounted, soldering tray ? I've got the tanks wedged into the console just right so it doesn't get loose. Safety first you know.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I dunno, I've got a lot of knives. Sometimes it's really hard to keep track of them all so I usually just start with a pile on the dash so they're easy to reach. In the summer I like to ride with the windows down and tend to lose a few under hard braking. But like I said, I've got more.

You're a pretty resourceful guy, do you know where I can get a good asbestos free, steering wheel mounted, soldering tray ? I've got the tanks wedged into the console just right so it doesn't get loose. Safety first you know.
Soldering?? Get with the times and get a laser welding rig installed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have more money in my bank, than I've ever had previously.

Going back to school a few years ago was the best decision of my life. Even if I had to sell a bike and become fat, no regrets there.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Is it possible to use up a tub of anti-seize? Everyone I know still has the one they bought at least a decade ago. Much like herpes anti-seize is the gift that keeps on giving.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Is it possible to use up a tub of anti-seize? Everyone I know still has the one they bought at least a decade ago. Much like herpes anti-seize is the gift that keeps on giving.
About 10 years ago my dad gave me this cool assorted 5-pack of loc-tite products that came in twist-to-use tubes (think: glue sticks) he got at work. Blue and red loc-tite, pipe dope, silver and gold anti-seize. All still have something left.

\coolstorybro

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Manualing is not something I can do on flat ground, but on the trail, to cross a small gully or puddle, roll off a root drop, no problem. Never could quite get to the balance point in the parking lot.

The other day I deliberately hoped onto a flat top rock that's probably only 12-14" long and landed in a manual and held it across the rock. Kind of like a straight tail tap at speed. I felt pretty darn good about it. Will probably never happen like that again though.

I call stuff like this; Brief Moments of Being Badass.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Someone was surprised that being from the Boston area I don't know how to play cribbage. Is that a thing? Do all New Englanders go wild for cribbage or something?