Quantcast

The Shipyard....

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I passed over some Shipyard IPA tonight in favor of Dogfish Head IPA... which I'd never had and is delicious. Definitely report back RE: the Shipyard, and maybe I'll pick some up next time.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I passed over some Shipyard IPA tonight in favor of Dogfish Head IPA... which I'd never had and is delicious. Definitely report back RE: the Shipyard, and maybe I'll pick some up next time.
Was the DFH the 60 or 90 minute? I found the 60 to be fairly bland for an IPA, but the 90 was definitely a tasty brew....

Still haven't gotten into the Shipyard - last night was a bottle of Italian barbera...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Drinking one right now. Kind of a bummer. I find it rather ordinary - not at all what I expect in an IPA. Almost no bitter and the maltiness is not to my liking.

Ah well.... as my wife says - "It's better than Miller Light." :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
You act like a beer snob but all you drink is IPA? :disgust1: That's like someone offering up their opinions on cheeses but they only eat cheddar.
I've had my go 'round with other beer styles. I simply prefer IPA to all the rest. Therefore it is what I purchase and drink.

You don't hear me proffering opinions on stouts, porters, lagers, weizens, etc... do you?

I mean, other than occasionally calling them swill. :p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I too mainly drink IPA's. I've outgrown the desire to find the hoppiest strongest ones around. It seems anyone can just jam a bunch of hops into the wort and charge $9 a six pack. It's much harder to jam a bunch of hops in there and develop a nice complex taste that isn't overbearing. Currently my favorites are DFH 60 min and Stone IPA.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I too mainly drink IPA's. I've outgrown the desire to find the hoppiest strongest ones around. It seems anyone can just jam a bunch of hops into the wort and charge $9 a six pack. It's much harder to jam a bunch of hops in there and develop a nice complex taste that isn't overbearing. Currently my favorites are DFH 60 min and Stone IPA.
I like Stone - that's good stuff. The Deschutes Quail Springs is quite tasty as well.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
When in doubt, I drink an IPA. probably is my favorite style... along with dirty wheats, black lagers, and coffee porters.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Was the DFH the 60 or 90 minute? I found the 60 to be fairly bland for an IPA, but the 90 was definitely a tasty brew....
It was the 60 minute, and I really like it. It wasn't overly hoppy - heavy on the hops can be good, but this was just a very smooth drinking, tasty beer.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
It was the 60 minute, and I really like it. It wasn't overly hoppy - heavy on the hops can be good, but this was just a very smooth drinking, tasty beer.
Yeah - it's definitely a balancing act. I actually thought the 60 minute was similar to the Shipyard in that it was a bit too under-hopped for my taste. What I really like is a brew that has lots of hop aroma and a strong bitter flavor. I've found alot of the Double/Imperial IPAs just have too much malt which usually requires them to go overboard with the hops to provide the bitters.

One strong/Imperial ale I've had that is pretty smooth and not too hoppy is Gordon's. Try some if you can find it: