Quantcast

The snow thread.

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
HOLY S#IT! be carefull everyone.

From the CAIC website today (jan. 13):
"one avalanche was visible from about 8 miles away, and was estimated as 20' deep and 5200' wide (yeah, about a mile)."
:dead:

January 6, they said there was another 20' crown below treeline (If I read that correctly). That's kinda scary.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
T0mo said:
HOLY S#IT! be carefull everyone.

From the CAIC website today (jan. 13):
"one avalanche was visible from about 8 miles away, and was estimated as 20' deep and 5200' wide (yeah, about a mile)."
:dead:

January 6, they said there was another 20' crown below treeline (If I read that correctly). That's kinda scary.
It's bad in Utah as well. Apparently a slide happened inbounds at The Canyons and may have buried skiers. :eek:

-S.S.-

Edit: Apparently it occurred just outside the ski area.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yeah, slide danger is HUGE right now because of the super wet sitting on a layer of super fluff. I just saw the Canyon slide on 9 News. Apparaently, Monarch had a huge slide too. Lowly Steamboat has full slide warning about going OB too.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I was getting my stuff together to go up to RMNP tommorow and break in the splitboard, when I realized that I forgot to go grab a beacon from the backcountry club office. I really need to just buy one, unfortunately I have no money whatsoever. Normally I would say screw and just go, but with the conditions the way they are now I thought better of it. One more weekend out of the snow.... :angry:

Here's the monster...

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
WOlf Creek=unreal right now. It might be heavy but it's so plentiful that even groomers can't make the snow packed enough so you don't sink in a bit.

Avy control at Crested Butte ruined our fun for today, but anybody down for a trip out there Monday I'm going....day trip to CB...

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Hey inediblehulk, help me understand your picture. Does that board split lengthwise and those blue strips, giant tele-skins basically turning your board into a pair of snowshoes? Wow, never seen that; what a sweet idea! Does it have biscuits to keep it together or does the bindings take care of that?

Edit: I don't board, you can prob tell. But I'm always keen on toy tech :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Pau11y said:
Hey inediblehulk, help me understand your picture. Does that board split lengthwise and those blue strips, giant tele-skins basically turning your board into a pair of snowshoes? Wow, never seen that; what a sweet idea! Does it have biscuits to keep it together or does the bindings take care of that?

Edit: I don't board, you can prob tell. But I'm always keen on toy tech :D
I think splitboards are pretty cool if you're in a group of splitboarders. Otherwise it's waiting around for hours while the splitboarders take off/put on their skins, fack with their boards and bindings..........

Of course, it's no better when they're on snowshoes....... maybe a little quicker. :D

-S.S.-

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Yeah it spilts into two very wide tele-ski things. It does have a disadvantage over ATs or Teles in that it does take a few minutes to swap it around, but it's certainly better than snowshoes. The aluminum binding plates provide most of the structural support for the board.

the wop

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
Colorado Springs
if any colo springs cats want to ride w/ me I usually take sunday strolls through the park, be it keystone ,or breck. you should see breck's stunt ditch (half pipe)
farking perfection. I'll ride w/ non springs folk as well we'd just have to meet there.
e-mail me if yous guys want to shred the rad www.dgnrt32@hotmail.com

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Took the splitboard out today, up near copper in the backcountry. It rocks the house, and we got some amazing untracked glade runs with plenty of powder in. The board just stays on top, totally effortless.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I was trying to get every rail on film before we headed to Keystone for a pipe showdown at night...in my attempt at the 30 foot down rail to 270 I got off balance and &#*# up.

Here is the actual break happening...

It sucks...stupid move, should have never happened...if I was willing to take a slam I'd be skiing today...instead the season is in jeopordy...

Looks like its sprain and my medial mellaious that broke...

I want to beat all expected healing times and still be rippin by spring break...

I figure I'll be able to do the rowing machine, work the hell out of my left leg and do wallsits and possibly leg extensions/curls...not the same as my old burl routine but close enough

Attachments

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
SkaredShtles said:
If it was powder, why would you want to stay on top of it?? :confused:

-S.S.-
If the front end goes under with a snowboard youre taking a dive, so I should say the front end stays up, but you still get the pillowy goodness. With a board that is too small you have to lean back ridiculously hard just to keep moving, which is tiring and makes it hard to turn, not to mention that it just sucks.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Thats why backcountry is where it's at. No new snow in over a week and we still get pow. Not to mention that getting up under your own power is far more rewarding and incredible training.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
TheInedibleHulk said:
If the front end goes under with a snowboard youre taking a dive, so I should say the front end stays up, but you still get the pillowy goodness. With a board that is too small you have to lean back ridiculously hard just to keep moving, which is tiring and makes it hard to turn, not to mention that it just sucks.
Wow. Sounds like too much work. You should try skiing:

:thumb:

-S.S.-

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
neversummersnow said:
well my season is done, broken ankle...#*()#$&@
Jeff, what the hell are you doing to yourself? Im still afraid of rails. Ive got couple friends who are all damn good at that stuff, but Ive seen them all get jacked up trying rails. Not to mention Ive jacked myself up doing them and destroyed a perfectly good pair of skis 2 years in a row due to those damn things. Im fine with going big in the park, hitting up deep powder and rippiing fast turns on perfectly goomed corduroy. Rails arent skiing.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
yeah, no sh1t, #*)(# u and your snorkel...jeez...couldn't this thread find its way to thread hell now that I'm hurt?

yeah, i'd say screw rails, but I have to do them, I will go do the one that broke me and will stick the 270 off...i know i'm better than that.

peace, 6+ weeks and counting until i can walk normal...

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
huh, if it gets that deep I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff duct tape his cast to the AKs.

Jeff, did you hear TJ's broke too? He stuck up on a rail at Winter Park on the 3rd and jammed his wrist hard. He kept riding a little bit and finally went to the doctor yesterday to find out that he broke it! The snow's eatin' people up this year.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I will be skiing if it gets deep, I'm not kidding...

it might be better off dead style one ski...(remember, I broke my ankle, picked up my ski and ripped the park to the bottom on one ski...pinned)

I have vid to back it up.

I took the splint off and have some movement...way more than I thought. THe doc is letting me ride in just a few weeks...he's UUBER cool and works on a lots of aths. He's all about 120 percent recovery...that's why i have surgery tommorow

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Pau11y said:
I think you should get your hands on a stick of "big boom" and go send that rail to rail hell. Just go up there some 5:00am and make modern art out of it, and then blame E.L.F. :D

Good call, I will destroy that rail, but in a different way...my visualization is already going nuts.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I broke my fibula in January of my senior year of high school. I got it casted, took a couple weeks off then wrapped it up so it would be nice and warm and skied 3 weeks later on 1 leg. Within about a week of doing that I was hitting most of the jumps in the terrain park and skiing most of the trails on the mountain. I still wasnt allowed to race though because they actually have rules that you need to start and finish with 2 skis on and have releasable bindings.