Quantcast

The Thanksgiving side dish thread

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
only one week 'till turkeyday, so lets start talking about sidedishes. I have the mashed potatoes, gravey, cranbuerry sauce, and rolls covered. However I need some new interesting stuffing ideas, so lets hear them.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Here's a really good yam one. What I like about it is that it is not a sweet concoction with mini marshmallows. It's a big hit since my friend brought it over one year, I've made it every year since. Parentheses are original amts of sugar and butter, (from my friend's mom) but we both make in with the reduced amounts.

Golden Sweet Potatoes

beat 4 room temp eggs, 1/2 (1) C white sugar, 1 (2) sticks room temp melted butter.
Add 1 c. milk, 2 tsp vanilla

optional - 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp cinnamon

Add 2 large cans of cooked yams, drained. Mash and beat until smooth. Place in baking dish - 9x13 I think.
Add topping -
1. C b. sugar, 1/2 c white flour, 4 T butter cut in, 1/2 or more chopped nuts. Sprinkle topping on and bake uncovered for 45 mins at 350.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
yummy yum.

San Francisco style dressing (Sunset magazine)

(about 16 cups, I double for a 22# bird)

1-1.5# loaf sliced sourdough, cubed
1/2 butter
2 onions, finely chopped
2 C thin sliced celery with leaves
1/2# mushrooms, rinsed, thinly sliced
1 red pepper (.5#) 1/4 dice
1 can artichoke hearts diced (my addition)
1/2C finely chopped italian parsley
5 green onions, trimmed and thin sliced
1 can (10.5 oz) chicked broth
2 6.5 oz cans chopped clams
1 2.25 can sliced black olives, drained
2 tsp italian seasoning blend
salt and pepper
2 large eggs

bake bread cubes in 325 oven until dry and firm to touch ( 20 mins or so)

meanwhile, combine butter, onions, celery, pepper, mushrooms and saute until veggies are limp

Mix cooked veg mixture with parlsey, green onions, clams, & broth, olives and seasonings, with bread cubes in large pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.In another bowl beat eggs and then toss the eggs into the bread mixture.

Bake in 350 oven , covered, until hot. 35- 40 mins, 50-65 if mix was chilled first.
If you want it crusty, uncover for the last 20 minutes

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Bourbon yams...I'll see if I can dig up the recipe.

Been travelling for many thanksgivings lately so I haven't cooked the meal in a while but last time I went with prime rib. it was a nice change.

Go to the butcher's and get a big hunk of bacon, unsliced bacon. Or pancetta if you can score some. chop that into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes. fry it up over low heat, so all the fat melts and the meat doesnt get all dry and crunchy. Add to the bacon a bunch of brussel sprouts cut in half or quarters. then dried cranberrys. salt and pepper to taste. the brussels get all wilted and delicious, and the bacon crisps up nicely w/o becoming charred cubes or gross-ness.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
is green bean casserole interesting enough? EASY as hell to make and delicious
My wife... pretty much hates cooking. If she does cook something you don't want to be in the kitchen because it's a big ordeal. Anyway I'm not trying to bag on her but I've come to terms with the fact that I'll be doing the cooking in this relationship.

Needless to say she suggested she make her world famous green bean casserole. It's the same recipe thats on the back of all fried onion cans. :)
Well I baked 4 apple pies from scratch which I started baking at 7am. Not to mentioned I first had to clean the kitchen, and run out and get some ingredients before I could start at 7am. So I finish them and make some broccoli slaw ala Treesaw finally finishing up at 12pm just in time for Aubrey to enter the kitchen and make her string bean casserole. Well it's a big deal to start off because now she's making 2 which means doubling the ingredients so it's 2x as confusing. I did the most work and used the can opener to open the 4 cans of mushroom soup by HAND! she combines the ingredients checking the recipe over about 10 times and getting angry at me because I didnt' have the cans ready or I poured them in when she wasn't looking. Then at dinner she's all worried that she screwed them up......

I love her to death but man.... I hate cooking with her.

Sorry, that was my green bean casserole story.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I thought it was humorous (the green bean casserole story)

OMGF and I have totally different styles in the kitchen.

I throw everything in without measuring, and he measures everything...

they're little differences, but they're funny

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I thought it was humorous (the green bean casserole story)

OMGF and I have totally different styles in the kitchen.

I throw everything in without measuring, and he measures everything...

they're little differences, but they're funny

Yeah my wife follows a recipe to a T where as I make up stuff as I go along.
She gets mad because she'll love my food one time and the next time she'll be like "Why did you change that recipe I loved it" I can never remember how I did the previous recipe.