Quantcast

The Top 5 BMX Racing Tires?

Bog Dogs

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
Grove City, FL, USA
I recently got into BMX Racing and definitely have the wrong tires. Not only are they too narrow but also have the wrong kind of tread. I've studied around the web to figure out what I should be racing on but there are conflicting views.

The top tires seem to be:

Maxxis DTH
Tioga Power Block
Tioga Power band
ITS Micro-Knobby
ITS MK2
Maxxis Holy Rollers

I have only tired the Micro-Knobbys so far. I want to hear what you have tried. What do you prefer and why?

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Maxxis dth and Intense micro knobby are the 2 most popular at my local track.

Our track has soiltac straights and blacktop berms.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
cool! agreed, I've adapted to a 1.75 pretty well but I wouldn't want to go any thinner either.

Similar to the maxxis holyroller would be a Kenda Krad. The kenda might be a few dollars cheaper but really the same tire. You can never go wrong with that basic simple tread pattern for either of those two tires. That plus the price is a great combo.

Bog Dogs

Chimp
Jul 20, 2010
Grove City, FL, USA
Thanks for the help everyone. I wrote a short article about The Top Five Best Tires for BMX Racing and then I went for the Maxxis DTH 1.75. I love them. They roll so fast, carve great, land well. My only afterthought was that they size small. I could have gone 1.85 and got some more wheel circumference from them.

I'm still keep an eye on the gearing as well. I'm running a 39 - 17 right now.