Quantcast

The Tour de France

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Can I be the first one to say, "f*#k off Greg Lemond" for the 09 Tour. Why can't he fall from a cliff???
He looks real bad when he constantly ask these questions but i kind of like it.....like Phil Ligget says, "We never know if we are truely seeing greatness anymore and that's a shame.".....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Was listening to the Eurosport audio feed. They were talking about rumors floating around. Supposedly it has some legs......
That would be interesting....maybe Cadel would be a super domestique and then team leader for Italy or Spain? Ala Roberto Heras

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
That would be interesting....maybe Cadel would be a super domestique and then team leader for Italy or Spain? Ala Roberto Heras
Yeah it would be interesting. He's obviously not happy with his current team, and I imagine they are not too happy with him. Still, it would mean basically giving up his Tour ambitions for next year. Maybe he realizes that he probably won't be able to win anyway as long as Lance and Contador are around, and yes, plans to refocus on Italy and Spain.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Yeah......supposedly he has now lost the internal battle within Silencio to Van Der Brook....

Cadel going to RadioShack would shocking....but the rumor seemed to be running rampant through the team buses this am :phone: . Cadel seems so self centered it makes it strange, but maybe he has realized a lesser Grand Tour is all he is capable of...even that is a stretch though.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Who is up to watch the Tour? Its about to start! Actually....I couldn't sleep :( I'll get to see the whole stage though

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
there are a couple of ppl on the Ventoux

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Best stage of the Tour! I'm really happy Wiggins maintained his 4th. I was hoping we would see Armstrong attack, but he probably figured it was futile against the Schleck brothers. Andy and Contador were very impressive today

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Who is up to watch the Tour? Its about to start! Actually....I couldn't sleep :( I'll get to see the whole stage though
I DVR'd it and went on a 50 mile ride this morning.

I came back, showered, and enjoyed my commercial free stage. :) :)

It was good! The schlecks really wanted to be on the podium together. I have a feeling if Contador and Schleck really would have kept going, they would have won the stage. But it was cool to see them really try for the podium.

Wiggins had a gutsy ride, I was happy to see him keep fourth. I was glad to see Pelozoti give it a go as well, nothing to gain in the mountains jersey, but he went for the win anyway.

Just a lot of great stuff on the stage today, to much to really ramble about. :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I could only watch the last few minutes of the stage on youtube today, unfortunately. Looked interesting. Only thing that puzzled me was the last meters of the lead group- looked like Martin took the last turn really wide for no reason and Garate took it inside. Couldn't tell if that made the difference, but if so that was pretty boneheaded of Martin.

In any case, I really enjoyed the Tour this year. Contador is a beast. I liked watching his combative style and explosive attacks. The fact that he accelerates when he doesn't have to and maybe makes some tactical errors makes the race more exciting and interesting (eg dropping Kloden a few days ago, his stage 7 attack). I guess he just likes to put it to other people. Way better than watching some time trial machine just hang on to other people's wheels.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I could only watch the last few minutes of the stage on youtube today, unfortunately. Looked interesting. Only thing that puzzled me was the last meters of the lead group- looked like Martin took the last turn really wide for no reason and Garate took it inside. Couldn't tell if that made the difference, but if so that was pretty boneheaded of Martin.

In any case, I really enjoyed the Tour this year. Contador is a beast. I liked watching his combative style and explosive attacks. The fact that he accelerates when he doesn't have to and maybe makes some tactical errors makes the race more exciting and interesting (eg dropping Kloden a few days ago, his stage 7 attack). I guess he just likes to put it to other people. Way better than watching some time trial machine just hang on to other people's wheels.

Didn't see the moment you were talking about but taking a climbing corner wide gives you a more consistent grade. Take the inside and things can get really steep. If he was out of gear and didn't have the legs the wide route may have been better for him.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
How many times can the Schleck brothers look back....?....they ride looking backward more than looking foward...

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Was hoping to see Armstrong at least have a go or two at taking Andy Schleck on Ventoux, but it looked like he didn't really have the legs to challenge Andy and didn't want to risk blowing his third.

The most awesome (and improbable) end to Hushovd's tour would be for him to jump out the front with 1km to go and hold it across the line like Vinokourov in 2005.

Someone ought to inform McGee.

Edit: Go Beppu!

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
God damn. Cav is a ****ing badass.

Well, that whole Columbia team. Damn. What a setup.
Columbia executes to perfection...Garmin tried to disrupt and they came right back in, got the gap in the corner and never looked back. I was very impressed.....I was hoping Farrar would be there to challenge but it seemed like Garmin started the train too early.

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
Columbia executes to perfection...Garmin tried to disrupt and they came right back in, got the gap in the corner and never looked back. I was very impressed.....I was hoping Farrar would be there to challenge but it seemed like Garmin started the train too early.
Thanks to Big George, Garmin got a little disruption of their own.... :eek: (aren't paybacks a bitch?!)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hincappie was using a lot of past tense terms when talking about columbia. Rumours flying that he will be going to TRS or Garmin and that was why he was so butt hurt from the teams chasing.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bitter?

During the traditional champagne toast for the winning team Lance didn't even pretend to take a sip. Dumped it before putting it anywhere near his lips.:rofl:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
...and you never saw those two (Contador and Lance) even near each other while everyone was "celebrating".... oh yes, it's on-like-donkey-kong for next year!! :weee:
As for next year it will epic.....but Lance would better serve himself not running his mouth so much. Not sure he want's to piss AC off too much. Contador seems to have a bit of a savage side. Everyone seems to be questioning AC's intelligence, not sure he needed to be a genius this year to pedal away from people....

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Everyone seems to be questioning AC's intelligence, not sure he needed to be a genius this year to pedal away from people....
I wonder why this really is, and I suspect the way he speaks contributes to this perception.

It's hard to tell for sure, but I have the feeling that he knew exactly what he was doing on the Arcalis stage, and it was a very shrewd tactical move. I think there's a very good possibility that he is a lot smarter than he gets credit for.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I wonder why this really is, and I suspect the way he speaks contributes to this perception.

It's hard to tell for sure, but I have the feeling that he knew exactly what he was doing on the Arcalis stage, and it was a very shrewd tactical move. I think there's a very good possibility that he is a lot smarter than he gets credit for.
yeah....i think he was just shrewd and aggressive more than anything. After all it seems he has figured out the nuances of TT'ing.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Bitter?

During the traditional champagne toast for the winning team Lance didn't even pretend to take a sip. Dumped it before putting it anywhere near his lips.:rofl:
I think only one guy on the whole team drank his! Contador even dumped it.