Quantcast

The Ultimate MoCo damper ? For Yari, Domain, Boxxer, ...

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
Hi Guys,

With the release of the new Domain and the Yari RC still being frequently speced on bikes I've been sucked into the black hole of Motion Control (MoCo) DIY tuning. I currently have 2 Yari at home (Hardtail and GF bike) and before testing my theory i'd like to run it by you so I don't render those forks useless for no reasons.

I base my theory after reading following ressources:
- Understanding of original MoCo: https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/tuning-blackbox-speedstack-in-boxxer-wc-team.166577/
- Tuning of the more recent versions: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/super-yari.1069974/
- Modification of the MoCo by a german tuner: https://www.bike-magazin.de/freeride/test/80-euro-federgabel-tuning-pimp-my-yari
- German DIY mod: https://radtechnik.2ix.de/yarituning.php
- English speaking DIY mod: http://www.supercross-online.de/Z/Yari_MotionControl

So MoCo is basically an orifice damper with a poppet valve.

First thing you can do is to reduce the amount of MoCo movement before it opens the poppet. Back in the days it was done by a nyloc nut, nowadays you do that with little spacers. This helps to reduce spiking, it isn't a terrible place to start as it is reversible and really easy to do. I also retains the possibility to adjust compression bleed (LsC) but you have zero control over your damping curve. It might be enough for many people tho. It might be enough for me too but I have compulsive tinkering syndrome so I can't leave potential when I see some.

Now next is what is done by Anyrace and somewhat similarly by Radtechnik, they increased the LsC ports to have enough flow for it not to spike and controlled the flow with a shim stack. This allows you to have much more control over your damping curve since you just have to modify your stack depending on your needs. One problem is that you don't have control over low speed compression (bleed) as you need to leave the sawblade fully open, if you don't you would be back to orifice damping as the shim stack wouldn't do anything if inline with a bottleneck. Same problem as the old boxxer WC and the Speedstack. So any adjustment to LsC have to be done by stack modification which is not practical.

Finally SX-online solution for which you basically use 2 of the LsC holes for shim damping and the last hole is used for LsC adjustment. Main issue with this one is that the shims get unequally loaded. I am not sure if this is a problem in real world but this is why I came up with my idea as this solution mostly solves all the problems.

Now what I propose is to create a completely independent shim circuit and keep the original LsC circuit mostly untouched.This would offer a proper bleed adjustment (ultra low speed) via the original LsC circuit, Low to High speed compression through the shims stack and if you need extra digressive damping the possibility to space the poppet valve for blow-off. To achieve this I propose to drill 3 holes in the 3 ridges that are not used in the MoCo head. The hole would have to be drilled at an angle in order to use a shim that would not cover the LsC circuit but still exit outside of the Sawblade so the shim circuit would not be impacted by the LsC adjuster. Aside from the drilling the LsC hole would have to be chamfered so would the Shim circuit holes on their entrance side. This this means that the oil flow will not be optimal as it won't be straight but I think it is negligible and as long as the chamfers allow to keep the orifice surface it shouldn't be a problem. Because I try to keep the LsC circuit close to its original state my solution would use some face shims of 20mm OD likke Radtechnik instead of the 22mm used by SX-online.

Some pictures to illustrate the idea (cred: Radtechnik), in red the new holes for the Shim circuit, in black the original LsC holes, in yellow the chamfers to allow LsC circuit to not be obstructed by the 20mm face shim (used in this picture), in green the chamfer at the entry of the shim circuit to not be restricted by the sawblade.

yarimc.jpg
yari3.jpg

To dive a bit deeper into the theory, SX-online seems satisfied with a LsC circuit of 6.4mm² and a Shimed circuit of 19.2mm². My solution should offer slightly more flow with LsC at 13mm² (original surface) and with a drilling of 3mm a shimed circuit of 21.2mm². While the extra LsC surface if probably useless and will need to be at least half way closed, having the option is good. Having extra shim circuit surface should allow for more tuning possibility of the HsC via the shimstack with less risk to hit the maximum flow. If this was to happen you could still control it with the poppet valve spacing. If more shim circuit flow is need one could go with SX-Online solution and simply drill some 3.5mm holes in (some of) the blank ridges as I doubt the would be enough room on the ridges to drill bigger than 3mm and remain within the 20mm face shim diameter.

What do you guys think ? Am I out of my mind ? Do that sound solid enough so I should order some shims and take the dremel out ?

Last edited:

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
I think you should get a LSC only Charger damper, they are super simple to re-shim.....

Orifice damper and poppet valve? That's like a double serving of *hit stew.
Did I asked you what replacement damper should I buy ? I don't think so, unless my english isn't as good as I thought.

That is not really the spirit, I could buy a Fast or Novypart compression assembly and be done with it. But what would I learn from this ? I fully subscribe to the "built not bought" spirit. If it fail I will buy either of those options, definitely not a Charger cartridge anyway.

All dampers are orifice based, they vary in the way they manage HsC but the LsC circuit (bleed) is always some sort of orifice so you comment is rather uneducated on top of being pointless.

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
That's how MRP forks roll these days.
And X2 shocks, CCDB, Kitsuma, Helm, Push 11.6 and the list is long. That aside I prefer shims as they allow you to tune you damping curve much better, especially when your poppet is controled by a plastic tube vs spring and preload.

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
:cray:

I've got a drawer full of shims and lots of learning under my belt. It just helps to start with something that actually has a chance.
Owning some stuff and playing leggo with it to experiment doesn't mean you have a basic understand of how things work and why, your remark about orifice and poppet clearly show this. Go on YT and watch all the Vorsprung video, then go on Restackor and read all the sections that explain damper theory. That should help you understand what a crossover shim does and how it influence your damping curve.

If I don't get decent results by the end of this goofing around I will drop and aftermarket cartridge and won't look back but if this can work it might be helpfull for people that don't have the budget to do this and still want to improve their suspension. And once you have enough oil flow and control it with a shim stack I don't see why this couldn't work. I am looking for peer reviewing of the solution I thought off, if you can't provide insightfull comments about it then please stop trolling this thread.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
please stop trolling this thread.
Haha... you must be new here?

Chill dude! You'll quickly learn very few comments here are serious.
The humour perhaps doesn't carry over so obviously when you're new here but it's well worth sticking around and joining in.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Hi Guys,

With the release of the new Domain and the Yari RC still being frequently speced on bikes I've been sucked into the black hole of Motion Control (MoCo) DIY tuning. I currently have 2 Yari at home (Hardtail and GF bike) and before testing my theory i'd like to run it by you so I don't render those forks useless for no reasons.

I base my theory after reading following ressources:
- Understanding of original MoCo: https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/tuning-blackbox-speedstack-in-boxxer-wc-team.166577/
- Tuning of the more recent versions: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/super-yari.1069974/
- Modification of the MoCo by a german tuner: https://www.bike-magazin.de/freeride/test/80-euro-federgabel-tuning-pimp-my-yari
- German DIY mod: https://radtechnik.2ix.de/yarituning.php
- English speaking DIY mod: http://www.supercross-online.de/Z/Yari_MotionControl

So MoCo is basically an orifice damper with a poppet valve.

First thing you can do is to reduce the amount of MoCo movement before it opens the poppet. Back in the days it was done by a nyloc nut, nowadays you do that with little spacers. This helps to reduce spiking, it isn't a terrible place to start as it is reversible and really easy to do. I also retains the possibility to adjust compression bleed (LsC) but you have zero control over your damping curve. It might be enough for many people tho. It might be enough for me too but I have compulsive tinkering syndrome so I can't leave potential when I see some.

Now next is what is done by Anyrace and somewhat similarly by Radtechnik, they increased the LsC ports to have enough flow for it not to spike and controlled the flow with a shim stack. This allows you to have much more control over your damping curve since you just have to modify your stack depending on your needs. One problem is that you don't have control over low speed compression (bleed) as you need to leave the sawblade fully open, if you don't you would be back to orifice damping as the shim stack wouldn't do anything if inline with a bottleneck. Same problem as the old boxxer WC and the Speedstack. So any adjustment to LsC have to be done by stack modification which is not practical.

Finally SX-online solution for which you basically use 2 of the LsC holes for shim damping and the last hole is used for LsC adjustment. Main issue with this one is that the shims get unequally loaded. I am not sure if this is a problem in real world but this is why I came up with my idea as this solution mostly solves all the problems.

Now what I propose is to create a completely independent shim circuit and keep the original LsC circuit mostly untouched.This would offer a proper bleed adjustment (ultra low speed) via the original LsC circuit, Low to High speed compression through the shims stack and if you need extra digressive damping the possibility to space the poppet valve for blow-off. To achieve this I propose to drill 3 holes in the 3 ridges that are not used in the MoCo head. The hole would have to be drilled at an angle in order to use a shim that would not cover the LsC circuit but still exit outside of the Sawblade so the shim circuit would not be impacted by the LsC adjuster. Aside from the drilling the LsC hole would have to be chamfered so would the Shim circuit holes on their entrance side. This this means that the oil flow will not be optimal as it won't be straight but I think it is negligible and as long as the chamfers allow to keep the orifice surface it shouldn't be a problem. Because I try to keep the LsC circuit close to its original state my solution would use some face shims of 20mm OD likke Radtechnik instead of the 22mm used by SX-online.

Some pictures to illustrate the idea (cred: Radtechnik), in red the new holes for the Shim circuit, in black the original LsC holes, in yellow the chamfers to allow LsC circuit to not be obstructed by the 20mm face shim (used in this picture), in green the chamfer at the entry of the shim circuit to not be restricted by the sawblade.

View attachment 168333View attachment 168334

To dive a bit deeper into the theory, SX-online seems satisfied with a LsC circuit of 6.4mm² and a Shimed circuit of 19.2mm². My solution should offer slightly more flow with LsC at 13mm² (original surface) and with a drilling of 3mm a shimed circuit of 21.2mm². While the extra LsC surface if probably useless and will need to be at least half way closed, having the option is good. Having extra shim circuit surface should allow for more tuning possibility of the HsC via the shimstack with less risk to hit the maximum flow. If this was to happen you could still control it with the poppet valve spacing. If more shim circuit flow is need one could go with SX-Online solution and simply drill some 3.5mm holes in (some of) the blank ridges as I doubt the would be enough room on the ridges to drill bigger than 3mm and remain within the 20mm face shim diameter.

What do you guys think ? Am I out of my mind ? Do that sound solid enough so I should order some shims and take the dremel out ?
Yes, do it and take pictures along the way so we can all learn. I have some reading todo now,Thank You. I was in DH Forum looking at old Piture’s,and this caught my eye.
Avy

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I have compulsive tinkering syndrome
So that's how it's called! :D it definitively sounds better than armchair engineering. I will use it again!

Having gone from a moco to a Splug on my Yari, I would tend to say that the moco indeed spikes on the compression but also restricts the rebound which is also important. The check valving on the moco is done by the sawblade, somehow. I don't fully understand if it is the mass of the sawblafe, or the stiffness of the spring, or something else that restrict the rebound but it is clearly a limiting factor. This needs to be addressed on top of creating separate LSC and HSC circuits.

I have considered adapting a compression block from a Manitou fork to a yari but never bothered to think it through. The Manitou compression block is very similar to a Splug in the way it is working and it is quite cheap at around 60€.

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
So that's how it's called! :D it definitively sounds better than armchair engineering. I will use it again!

Having gone from a moco to a Splug on my Yari, I would tend to say that the moco indeed spikes on the compression but also restricts the rebound which is also important. The check valving on the moco is done by the sawblade, somehow. I don't fully understand if it is the mass of the sawblafe, or the stiffness of the spring, or something else that restrict the rebound but it is clearly a limiting factor. This needs to be addressed on top of creating separate LSC and HSC circuits.

I have considered adapting a compression block from a Manitou fork to a yari but never bothered to think it through. The Manitou compression block is very similar to a Splug in the way it is working and it is quite cheap at around 60€.
Did the switch to the Splug solve your rebound issue ? I have never really found this to be a problem and in fairness I don't see how this could impact rebound as it is controled by the shaft piston which is completely submerged in oil and creating pressure against the sealhead. Too stiff of a check plate could create cavitation but that would end up decreasing the compression damping over long harsh runs.

Did you do anything to your MoCo before switching to the Splug ?

I still have a Mattoc Pro in my part bin, brilliant fork really. Fitting the compression assembly would be amazing but way beyond the DIY/Dremel skilset/tools have :cray:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
It is when I switch to the Splug that I understood that I had issues with the rebound: I had to slow the rebound when installing the splug.

The rebound piston is indeed submerged in oil, still some oil has to flow through the compression assembly the back way to compensate for the diminishing volume of the rebound shaft. This flow of oil is somehow restricted on the moco, in my limited understanding.

I did not try to improve my moco before getting the splug. I might be a victim of Novyparts marketing, but I have little fate in a damper made of flexy plastic... I would be happy to be proven wrong on the other hand!

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
It is when I switch to the Splug that I understood that I had issues with the rebound: I had to slow the rebound when installing the splug.

The rebound piston is indeed submerged in oil, still some oil has to flow through the compression assembly the back way to compensate for the diminishing volume of the rebound shaft. This flow of oil is somehow restricted on the moco, in my limited understanding.

I did not try to improve my moco before getting the splug. I might be a victim of Novyparts marketing, but I have little fate in a damper made of flexy plastic... I would be happy to be proven wrong on the other hand!
This might be off topic but still somewhat interesting. I tried to check for rebound with and without compression assembly and didn't find any major difference which seem logical since it shouldn't have any influence on rebound speed. Did you notice the rebound speed difference while riding or right after installing the Splug ? If it was while riding could it be that the support from the Splug gave you a higher dynamic ride height which makes you ride a different portion of the spring curve hence needing to adjust rebound accordingly ?

Alternatively and probably the right answer, if the Splug is allowing you to use more of your travel more often (which it should), that means you would end up more often end up deep in the travel which creates more rebound force which requires more rebound danping force than with the stock moco that can't use travel due to low oil flow and high poppet threshold.

Was rebound adjusted by clickers or shim ? Have you modified anything else when you installed your Splug, like rebound shaft o-ring, different oil, etc ?

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Salut!
I felt the difference while riding. I have a vivid memory of adjusting the rebound 2 clicks slower in the first 100m of trail when first riding the fork with the Splug installed. I had spend some time with the fork in its original form before upgrading.

I cannot find my notes for the 27.5 Yari I had with my first Splug, they must have gone to the new owner of the fork... anyhow I don't recall changing anything but the Splug, I might have adjusted the oil level.

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
Hi mate, sorry I clearly missed you thread but it is very impressive work you've done there ! Way above what I can and have time to do currently. While I wouldn't go to a poppet system if I was going to such extensive work I can see so many applications. For instance replacing the original "spring" tube with your design but retain the top part so you would have the sealing issue sorted, not necessary but in case the original tube breaks. And doing a face piston using shims but keeping the sawblade assembly. With a custom 3D printed piston you could have much better bleed/shim circuits since you wouldn't be limited to the existing plastic injection design. More orifice size for shim circuit so you have more tunining opportunities with the shim stack, smaller orifice size for the bleed circuit with a modified sawblade to have these orifices closer to the center of the piston to allow more space for the shim circuit. Shims allow for more tunability than poppets and since you would have only the piston to design/print it would be easier to have several iterations to try out on the trail while probably still less work involved.

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
By the way, so far this is what it looks like. Did a write up on Mtbr about it but I've been away since I did the mods so I didn't have a chance to use it properly. While I was at it I also stuffed the tube with foam similarly to Yari-up or some Manitou ABS forks in order to have a fake closed cartridge, again seems fine but it needs to be riden properly now. Will report when I can.
AE6DCD61-BCF3-4611-BF73-A3B47099FEBE.jpeg
AA0F0AD1-3E35-4E9E-9B56-9B557B352390.jpeg

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I'm surprised you were ok with the foam. I had to go super psycho with minimizing the volume my damper took up to avoid hydrolock.

Balgaroth

Chimp
Oct 22, 2021
Alsace (FR)
Definitely no hydrolock but this need more exploration. For instance the foam doesn't fill the gaps of the tube so I still have air trapped in the cartridge because of that. Maybe it is what prevent it from locking ? Since your assembly doesn't have these holes your only air volume is the inner diam minus all that is inside it whereas normal MoCo has those areas as well as the small volume between the stanchion wall and plastic tube. When I have the time I will try to add a little more foam and bleed the whole leg from the rebound side to have as close to zero air in the system. I might end up with hydrolock too but it's free and reversible so no reasons not to give it a go.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Too stiff of a check plate could create cavitation but that would end up decreasing the compression damping over long harsh runs.
Interestingly this was the biggest upgrade from leaving MoCo behind, but not due to cavitation.
The nyloc nut modded moco damper itself (plastic HS tube and all) worked well enough for the time, the real issue is that the oil simply aerates over the course of a rough DH run from sloshing around resulting in a steady decrease of compression damping. Pulling the damper out immediately after a long run verified what was happening - a nice head of foam in the bath right at the compression valve. Interestingly the same effects of aeration were noticeable on Marzocchi forks, however in rebound rather than compression as the rebound piston is at the highest point in their cartridges.

Switched to sealed inverted Fox RC2 cartridges and never looked back. I'd consider this alone a valid reason to run a Charger / Charger 2 damper instead of messing around with the MoCo, especially when coupled with wallowy air spring curves.