Quantcast

The Upturn Dropper

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
p5pb26312257.jpg

p5pb26312258.jpg

"GCode is 2 in 1 MTB frame. Simple as that" Quote - pale sandy yellowish-brownbike.com

Looks as though it's taking a pale sandy yellowish-brown poop. ...but it's stuck

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Huh, didn't expect so many positive comments on Pink Bike.
We really are the grumpy old men of the bike world.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It's pretty interesting as a proof of concept. Answers the question "can a frame actively adapt to two different static geometries and linkage rotation limits?". Neat application of parametric design. Probably not real practical at the moment but still interesting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Huh, didn't expect so many positive comments on Pink Bike.
We really are the grumpy old men of the bike world.

As part of the RM user agreement we are contractually obligated to be outraged by every new product and prototype (especially prototypes) as though we are mandated to purchase it with our own money under punishment by death.

If people stopped trying new things we would all still be on 26" bikes with 800mm wheelbases and enough BB clearance to slowly ride over giant logs without hitting our fragile plastic bash guards like god intended.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
In all honesty, I think it’s really cool. It demonstrates all kinds of skills, a creative thought process and it meets a certain riders needs.
having said that, it’ll be a disaster as a real brand. Some things only have to exist once.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
If people stopped trying new things we would all still be on 26" bikes with 800mm wheelbases and enough BB clearance to slowly ride over giant logs without hitting our fragile plastic bash guards like god intended.
False Premise: All giant logs are now cleared within two days of them falling. (I do miss that stuff, it is kind of a lost skill)

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
As part of the RM user agreement we are contractually obligated to be outraged by every new product and prototype (especially prototypes) as though we are mandated to purchase it with our own money under punishment by death.

Just questioning what it is making this essential.

It was (is) this type of fervor which, for me about a decade ago, had proper gravel bike riding become appreciated and later - road riding. Where as - whatever it is this concept wishes to pretend to offer - anyone with the ability to shape materials into a frameset therefore has championed all types of trail and terrain and the bike's an instant 'game changer'. It's silly.

It was said this contraption is 'two bikes in one' meaning there's seemingly no middle ground. And, the host media site is willing to be jaded to the point of being in total agreement. I rarely am climbing on any trail without undulations and then also the same on a descent. I see no ability here other than for this thing to be making a stunt out of climbing and a stunt out of descending - there's no quality to the two riding types (a 'middle earth' I guess?) unless you have this exact type of terrain stashed away...

I'd gladly ride my 26" IHBC ride than something which potentially has no adaptability to it yet requires quantum mechanics to do a 200hr shock service.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just questioning what it is making this essential.

It was (is) this type of fervor which, for me about a decade ago, had proper gravel bike riding become appreciated and later - road riding. Where as - whatever it is this concept wishes to pretend to offer - anyone with the ability to shape materials into a frameset therefore has championed all types of trail and terrain and the bike's an instant 'game changer'. It's silly.

It was said this contraption is 'two bikes in one' meaning there's seemingly no middle ground. And, the host media site is willing to be jaded to the point of being in total agreement. I rarely am climbing on any trail without undulations and then also the same on a descent. I see no ability here other than for this thing to be making a stunt out of climbing and a stunt out of descending - there's no quality to the two riding types (a 'middle earth' I guess?) unless you have this exact type of terrain stashed away...

I'd gladly ride my 26" IHBC ride than something which potentially has no adaptability to it yet requires quantum mechanics to do a 200hr shock service.

It probably isn't anywhere near essential and it is a goofy implementation. But someone had an idea and made it real. Perhaps for them it works really well, perhaps it would work well for a lot of other folks. But people trying shit is how progress is made. I remember people laughing at dropper posts as another hite-right and doomed for failure. The road to progress is paved by people trying ideas even when the majority of those ideas fail. I can tell you this, blowjobs weren't invented because someone was just thinking inside the box.
:rofl:

I kind of get it though. I liked travel adjust forks like Fox Talas back in the day, being able to quickly adjust my head angle based on trail conditions. Better bike geometry reduced the need for that but one of the things I like about my Manitou Mezzer is I can go from 150mm to 180mm with nothing but a shock pump for rolling trails or the bike park. Sure Manitou doesn't say that is how it should be done, but it works.