Quantcast

The Vintage Downhill Podcast

Nov 8, 2023
I enjoyed listening to these and thought some of you would too. Some cool old stories about some cool old DH bikes. It’s interesting to hear it from their perspective.

Hey Guys.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for listening.

And while I'm glad you're listening, so are we!

We're open to your input on what you'd like to see improved. What subjects you'd like to see covered. If there's particular people or subjects you think would be fun.

We do have LOTS of people ready to come talk with us - but I think we want to take a quality over quantity approach.

IE - I dont think we're going to publish weekly or even bi-weekly. We will try and publish regularly - but we're going to focus on providing quality content, with quality topics and hopefully provide information that not everyone has heard before.

That said - We ARE listening. So HMU with feedback.

Thanks!
ChuckD

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Hey Guys.

We're open to your input on what you'd like to see improved. What subjects you'd like to see covered. If there's particular people or subjects you think would be fun.

We do have LOTS of people ready to come talk with us - but I think we want to take a quality over quantity approach.

IE - I dont think we're going to publish weekly or even bi-weekly. We will try and publish regularly - but we're going to focus on providing quality content, with quality topics and hopefully provide information that not everyone has heard before.

Thanks!
ChuckD
Doc.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Hey Guys.

Thanks!
ChuckD
Cheers for doing them, I especially like the well-informed questions. That is nice and refreshing in contrast to the more established sites, which always ask the same stuff.

I guess you want to stay technology centered, so talk more with the engineers and brands and less the racers.

Some things I would enjoy hearing about are:

- someone from Honda about their DH bike development

- Doug Bradbury of Manitou and Tomac bikes

- Nicolas Vouilloz about the bikes he rode and co-developed (maybe also in combination with Olivier Bossard); more in-depth version of what DIRT did in some of their final mags)

- Fabien Barel about his geometry experiments

- Max Commencal

- Mert Lawwill/John Parker

- Peter Denk of Hot Chili fame

- Tomaso Ancillotti

Nov 8, 2023
Cheers for doing them, I especially like the well-informed questions. That is nice and refreshing in contrast to the more established sites, which always ask the same stuff.

I guess you want to stay technology centered, so talk more with the engineers and brands and less the racers.

Some things I would enjoy hearing about are:

- someone from Honda about their DH bike development

- Doug Bradbury of Manitou and Tomac bikes

- Nicolas Vouilloz about the bikes he rode and co-developed (maybe also in combination with Olivier Bossard); more in-depth version of what DIRT did in some of their final mags)

- Fabien Barel about his geometry experiments

- Max Commencal

- Mert Lawwill/John Parker

- Peter Denk of Hot Chili fame

- Tomaso Ancillotti
Thanks for the feedback. We have a world champion pro scheduled for next week. A honda rider (also world champ) is ready to come on - just need to get him scheduled.

Several other companies and racers are ready to come on.

We're just trying to get our bearings. Given that our group and the people we talk to are international, scheduling is always a challenge.

I will say that the people involved in the podcast are extremely well informed and we hope that comes through.

If you haven't listened to the Foes or Turner podcasts - give a listen. I feel like we've been able to bring to light some info that either wasnt known or very few knew.

Keep the feedback coming!

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Thanks for the feedback. We have a world champion pro scheduled for next week. A honda rider (also world champ) is ready to come on - just need to get him scheduled.

Several other companies and racers are ready to come on.

We're just trying to get our bearings. Given that our group and the people we talk to are international, scheduling is always a challenge.
From Honda I really would love to hear from some of Honda's engineers and the unknown japanese racers that used them domestically. Greg Minnaar and Martin Whiteley have talked about the project on several occasions already and it felt quite repetitive. Maybe they are not allowed to say more, but all the tech bits would interest me.

I will say that the people involved in the podcast are extremely well informed and we hope that comes through.
I like that you talk more technology than career, so I hope you keep that up with the racers as well.

If you haven't listened to the Foes or Turner podcasts - give a listen. I feel like we've been able to bring to light some info that either wasnt known or very few knew.
Skimmed over the Foes and Turner ones, too busy to truely enjoy them. Will try to listen to them in full asap.

Keep the feedback coming!
You know who this buckoW fellow that started this thread is, or? He would be an extremely interesting guest as well me thinks. ;)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Perhaps not vintage, but it'd be cool to hear from some of the old free riders. What are they up to now, how are they doing? Guys from the Drop In crew, etc

I'm sure some have Instagram accounts I could go stalk, but thats just snippets. There was an interview of Tyler Klassen a few years ago and it sounds like he had a really tough time, but is doing okay now. It was nice to hear from him.

Damn that was back in 2018...

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
i used to ride with tyler bitd, and yeah, the substance (ab)use got concerningly heavy for a a good while. hadn't seen him for a few years, and the above vid was pretty eye opening in terms of personal transformation; surprisingly hippy/holistic for sure, but glad he found a means to turn around a self destructive lifestyle.

also - hell yes, re: the balfa people! hugo as well. curious where they're at now.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
i used to ride with tyler bitd, and yeah, the substance (ab)use got concerningly heavy for a a good while. hadn't seen him for a few years, and the above vid was pretty eye opening in terms of personal transformation; surprisingly hippy/holistic for sure, but glad he found a means to turn around a self destructive lifestyle.

also - hell yes, re: the balfa people! hugo as well. curious where they're at now.
Was it more than Drinking? I thought it was just endless Beers?

I'm glad he is ok as well. He took some serious injuries. I still have him at RedBull on his V10 going bigger than any Man on the Mountain on my ToolBox.

Avy

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
^no hard drugs that i was aware of; just all the booze, all the time. reminds me of the time he was scheming about hooking up a secondary window washer pump & reservoir in his truck, with a hose running into the cab, so he could have stealth on demand liquor service. which, at the time, i thought was an awesome idea. can't recall if that ever came to fruition.

i remember him setting up the green v10 in the shop just prior to heading off to rampage. pretty neat watching him progress from shop rat to local ripper to world class shredder.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Not how I was intending my comment be taken; not trying to gloat or rub salt in the wound.

Nov 8, 2023
Perhaps not vintage, but it'd be cool to hear from some of the old free riders. What are they up to now, how are they doing? Guys from the Drop In crew, etc

I'm sure some have Instagram accounts I could go stalk, but thats just snippets. There was an interview of Tyler Klassen a few years ago and it sounds like he had a really tough time, but is doing okay now. It was nice to hear from him.

Damn that was back in 2018...
Just posted Nathan Rennie today.

Also, this morning we recorded a podcast with a guy largely responsible for the creation of the Redbull Rampage - as well as heavily involved in the earl freeride scene. two weeks from today we'll release that episode ;-)

So watch this space!

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Hey Guys.

Thanks!
ChuckD
ChuckD,thank you for your long vested time to make these videos happen. With all this time vested,I can’t have you looking bad. You need to tighten the interview up. You have the facts,but just like Nathen said,you need to a smooth operator.

The pace is to slow.
There is no progression,ie,his life and racing.
When someone other than me and All bike geeks views this video,you want them to know what a Bad Ass man he is,good and bad. It is you tobe the Conducter,Miestroe on how that goes.
I thought I saw you mention Fans asking questions? So they can ask a question? I Love Nathen,Fucking Beast! I have many a question’s? Have a live feed? Fucking bring in a Surprise Guest. In this case have Chris as a Guest. We would Love it!

Avy