Quantcast

The Vuelta

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Astana rider worst off from massive pile-up in Liège

American Chris Horner has once again been plagued by the bad luck which has haunted him all season. The Astana rider was one of dozens of riders involved in a crash in the final kilometres of the Vuelta a Espana's stage four on Tuesday, and his team confirmed that he has an "undisplaced fracture of the wrist".

Horner will not continue the race as the risk of the break becoming worse over the next two weeks is too great, his team said.

It is the third serious injury of the 37-year-old rider's 2009 season. In February, he injured his knee in the Tour of California. In April, he broke his collarbone and ribs in a crash at the Vuelta a Pais Vasco after his teammate Daniel Navarro broke his chain and fell in his path.

He recovered in time to contest the Giro d'Italia, where he was highly placed in the overall when he fell victim to another crash on stage 11. He was diagnosed later with a fractured tibia.

Horner again recovered from his injury, but not in time to be selected for Astana's Tour de France squad. He sat out much of July, returning to competition at the Tour of Elk Grove before heading back to Europe where he nearly won the Tour de l'Ain.

"I'm done for the year, for sure. My season is over, but I'm not stopping cycling!" Horner declared in an interview posted on his team's web site.

Astana's newest recruit, Alexander Vinokourov, was also injured in the wreck on Tuesday. He sustained a wound to his left elbow and hip, but will continue the race.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
tough luck for Horner this year. that pile up was nasty. hate to be that guy first into those concrete barriers with people piling up on him! looked like about 1/3rd of the peloton was involved.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is just going to make Vino angry. He will eat the livers of his rivals then attack their bloody corpses.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
tough luck for Horner this year. that pile up was nasty. hate to be that guy first into those concrete barriers with people piling up on him! looked like about 1/3rd of the peloton was involved.
That guy has had nothing but bad luck lately :(

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Watched Stage 3 last night...wow...just wow...

Everyone was going down like a crackhead in a dark theater...

Saw the end of the broadcast and it showed horner just laying there saying, "F*CK!" over and over again as he tried to move his wrist...Lame.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The crummy part is that Horner is 37....that may have been his last/only chance to captain the team for a grand Tour.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
André Greipel, and Columbia in general, have been killing it! I would still like to see Farrar win a stage. This Saturday the race should heat up with some nasty climbs

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Cadel = whiner. f*ckin' whiner. You didn't actually think that another GC contender (Gesink) was going to let you by on the inside without a fight...oh...wait...you did? Dumbass.

Stage 8 & 9...wow...those were some climbs...jeezuz.

The closing k's for the peloton coming up to the final climb in 9 were insane!! Steady 70kph!!!???!? Reeee dick u lus.

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Farrar!!! Farrar!!! Yay...semi-local boy makes good!

Too bad the champagne cork sucked...doh.:rofl:

What the hell was Liquigas doing? They were on the front almost the entire way...

Hey I've got an idea of how to kill your sprinters legs, lead the big ass climb!!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Damn good ride by Ryder! I was hoping he would pull it off! Robert Gesign (sp?) did a very impressive ride as well....he has a very bright future ahead of him!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Impressive stage today! I thought Basso and Evans were going to put time into Valverde....he did a damn good job of clawing back, and then dropping, those guys. Robert is an impressive rider...I hope he continues to improve and doesn't pull a Cuenego in the Tours

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007