Quantcast

The Web Monkey Speaks: Please Don't Kill The 29er

webmonkey365

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
You may not have liked the 29ers of the past. I understand why--I didn't either--but times have changed and we are on the verge of bringing 29ers into their own... and, yet, product managers are asking themselves whether they should cut 29ers out of their lines altogether and simply replace them with 650b. The 29-inch wheel has become uncool....again. But is that reason enough to banish it to the glue factory?

The Web Monkey Speaks: Please Don't Kill The 29er

gravityfreak

Chimp
Jan 24, 2002
Sydney Australia
It's just such a bummer that people don't think for themselves these days. I can understand how / why newbs to the sport will buy whatever is hot right now - but the rest of us? There is no reason why any wheel size should be killed off. I don't know anyone who is against 27.5 / 650b other than for the fact that it's been the demise of 26" and with it the resale value of those bikes / access to the latest wheels etc.

If only we the consumers would collectively push back - that is one sure way to ensure what get's shoved down our throat survives or doesn't. If none of us jumped on the 650b bandwagon - it wouldn't have killed off the other sizes.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
your power as contributor to a bicycle media outlet is to influence CUSTOMERS to buy things - whether that is directly or indirectly exerting influence. Purchasing decisions influences COMPANIES to make things that people buy.
This is true for wheel size, or any other attribute of the bicycle. This article could be "Dear Bicycle Companies, don't stop making titanium hardtails".

goto11

Chimp
Apr 30, 2013
I feel like full-suspension 26ers were just coming into their own in 2007, which is when I bought my last bike. I think the only original part on that bike is the headset, but I still love it and really cannot justify getting a 29er or 650B to replace it. If I break my frame, I'll consider a 650B, but that also means new wheels and new fork (my current fork is only a year and a half old), so even then, I might get another 26er (craigslist?). I have a lot of fun on my 26er, and I'm not giving up bacon and beer anytime soon.

goto11

Chimp
Apr 30, 2013
I would also like to add that many people are comparing old tech 26ers to new tech 29ers. I think that if those same people rode a new tech 26er they would be equally impressed by its performance, especially on tight, twisty, bumpy stuff, which is where I prefer to do most of my riding.

coney

Chimp
May 19, 2014
Totally agree - I can see validity in riding and owning bikes in any wheel size. I'm with you goto11 - I'm quite happy slashing DH and climbing mountains on my "old school", yet completely functional 3x9 26" 2010 Zesty until it cracks.

pedgars1129

Chimp
May 23, 2014
I entered the world of mountain biking in 2010. I bought my first bike, a 2004 Specialized FSR XC, used from a guy on craigslist. It wasn't the right size for me but I rode that bike until the wheels fell off, literally. It got to the point of 2-4 broken spokes with every trip to the trails. It was at this point that I decided it was time to shell out for a new, right off the show room floor, bike. After shopping around, I decided on a 2011 Specialized Camber Comp 26er. It was on clearance at my LBS due to the 2012 models rolling out. After purchasing my bike everyone gave me grief for not going with a 29er. 26" wheels were all I knew, and to be honest I didn't want to spend the substantially larger sum of money on the 29" model. Those new 2012 models I spoke of earlier, completely phased out the 26" model. I have still yet to ride a 29er, so I have nothing to compare to, but I love my 26" wheels. Unfortunately, I now find myself in the same boat as some of the above commenters. When it comes time for needing a new frame, I will be forced to buy a new fork, and new wheels as well. In addition to this, component manufacturers are doing the same thing to us. They have all but done away with 3x9 drivetrains. V-brakes, other than those found on road bikes, have become a relic of the not so distant past. Hex head screws being replaced with star keys, and the list can go on. What I'm trying to say is, it might be time for the mountain bike community to come together on this. Lets pick a standard, and stick with it. I understand that innovation is good for the sport, and in fact, inevitable at some point. But, its time to quit letting the manufacturing companies dictate what we "have" to buy.

BillyD

Chimp
May 23, 2014
Salida, CO
I just sold nice 29er (hard tail racer). I've owned and raced single speeds and even owned a big free ride bike for lift access. But, I cleared out the arsenal this spring to get one fine mtb steed......I ended up buying a carbon 26er. But, here's the interesting part: While traveling recently in the Rockies, I went into 5 different bike shops and asked "what should an aggressive rider own if he/she only had one bike" every mechanic (not the guys in retail), in every shop, said "get a 26" while you still can."

29" wheels should stay, but not because they finally handle well. But, because they ride in a unique way and always have. They are fast and efficient. When I have the money, maybe I'll add another 29er to my quiver—but, I'm currently not interested in 650b. If, bike industry, you're thinking, "ahhh! the 650b is the perfect hybrid! You don't need a quiver!" ...I'll show you my minivan. Please bike industry, don't make vanilla. Keep 29er...for those that really rail? Get a 26er while you can.

r1Gel

Chimp
Jul 10, 2013
Funny. I've been on 650B since 2009, probably the first conversion in my country. I love it. But just very recently I've been lusting for an FS 29er. Even after going on a 4-hour trail ride on a friend's hardtail SS 29er that's 3kg heavier than my own bike. Go figure.