Quantcast

The Zerode thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
That is pretty handy then, my old work used to get custom head gaskets water cut, it's amazing what they can do with water and a bit of grit.

Wouldn't be all that difficult to mask the frame up and fibreglass a nice cover from woven cloth, some of the adhesive magnet strips are pretty strong and would hold it in place fine(I think).

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Anyone know which month of Dirt mag this was in? I was trying to watch for it, but must have missed it. Can anyone scan and post?
They did an interview with Joe Connell and did some riding on his personal Zerode. It wasn't a full on review. But there will be some in 2013 for sure. It sounds like they liked it from what I have heard. My subscription ran out this month need to get to the book store to get it.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
Question about the shock guard:

My old beat up guard bolts to two plastic mounts that ride on the lower shock shaft.
My new guard has holes to bolt directly to the frame.
I guess newer frames have tapped holes for this?
I guess I need to drill and tap my frame?

Edit:
Like these, on the right:

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Question about the shock guard:

My old beat up guard bolts to two plastic mounts that ride on the lower shock shaft.
My new guard has holes to bolt directly to the frame.
I guess newer frames have tapped holes for this?
I guess I need to drill and tap my frame?
Yeah the new frames have small holes in the back of them...

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Yeah the new frames have small holes in the back of them...
Cool, thanks, all sorted out.

Call me crazy, but this is what I came up with.
Used both the old and new mounting patterns, and used both a plastic and carbon guard doubled-up.
Why you ask?
My old carbon ones were all smashed up, so I know they are brittle and subject to cracking after they get beat up, while the new plastic ones are tougher, but quite flexible. This way the plastic will take the abrasion and abuse while the carbon gives the strength and stiffness. No so concerned about weight.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
can anyone describe in depth the who what when where why how of running a X9 shifter on an alfine? pleeeez?
Just did this mod. It's based on a sram x9 9 speed shifter.
You can either order a complete modified shifter unit or just a small internal part that you swap out.
Contact your local dealer.
I was able to get the shifter for cheap and the part was $20.
Shifting is now awesome. It even lets you pull (big button) up to 4 gears at a time, so easiest to hardest in only two "strokes". Ergonomics are way better, and lighter to boot.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Looks like the Zerode boys are doing well at the races congrats guys!!!

"Reuben Olorenshaw has taken out the inagural Top Gun DH race in Nelson today by 1 second over Brook MacDonald with Kieran Bennett in 3rd! Lawrence Cawte also won the U19 class! Podiums all around for the team today!"

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
How do you guys feel about the doubling up of the free play of the hub and the freehub? Is it ever an issue - say in tight twisty trails, punching out of corners?

I thought most designs like this used a fixed rear hub?

I don't know why it has taken me so long to think about this one..

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
It's not a problem. The lag is noticeable when climbing (it's a dh bike so who cares) its come up many times when talking about the Zerode but anyone who has put real time on the bike will tell you it is a non issue.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
It's not a problem. The lag is noticeable when climbing (it's a dh bike so who cares) its come up many times when talking about the Zerode but anyone who has put real time on the bike will tell you it is a non issue.
I've actually ridden a Zerode, a couple of years ago, and couldn't remember anything significant. Pretty much was the opposite kind of trail that i would think it might be a problem on.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Its not noticeable when going DH, but I do prefer my I9 rear hub over my Hope when Im riding uphill.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So has anyone worked out how far it's off by? Eg. if you have a 10 degree engagement rear hub, what is your actual engagement on a Zerode once you factor in the double loss?

For what it's worth I didn't notice it either, but I wasn't looking for it.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
There's a french company that makes fixed rear hubs specifically for pinion and other gb bikes. Drops a lot of weight and complication. I can't think of their name and a quick googling didn't show me anything.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
This is the 10th time this has come up and the same convo happens every time , then everyone decides its fine how it is and some one buys a Zerode or doesn't.....

Dodgysam

Chimp
Jan 23, 2013
Gday there.

Im and friend of Jonos...(styledairtime)

This one is mine.
Nothing special pics...will get better ones later.