Quantcast

The Zerode thread

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I think I ma going KAWI green on mine.....damn or KTM orange. Justin to answer you mid March is when Rob is thinking he will start seeing em....

Last edited:

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
ok so that fox 40 is photoshopped on and the down tube is photoshopped from the picture up top.

Is the downtube a bit square in the top picture? which is cool.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
The bottom pic has what one of the new decals will look like. and I guess 40s just for another example. It was a pic for dealers, guessing it got leaked out with peoples enthusiasm for information. I'll post pics of mine up as soon as I get it built, hopefully within a week.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2010
Salt Lake City
Yeah less travel, still over 8" though. Will match the front better.
Less rearward travel too? If so do you think it will negatively affect how the bike deals with square edge bumps? Maybe less will be more in this case?
I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the G2 once you've gotten it together and gotten some rides on it. Also curious what the weight is. Thanks for sharing.

Jul 31, 2010
Salt Lake City
This image was on the Zerode site and it looks like this guy (Kieran Bennett) is racing the G2 and did rather well getting 2nd behind Sam Blenkinsop. I'd sure like to hear what differences he feels between the G1 and G2.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
now i'm really interested
Yeah be pretty slick. Get 3000 plus shifts out of a charge that would last me years.... the batteries do tend to loose power sitting I would guess. But mounting the battery inside the sea-tube would be the sick ticket. Just straight down onto the hub!

Last edited:

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Could I combine the gearbox guard with some thicker carbon to replace the nylon guides? How have these worn for you guys because my second hand frame here shows hardly any wear which makes me think a carbon guide would work?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I have seen very little wear on the 6 team frames I got back or the 1 I owned for awhile.......

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Mr Plow has a G1. And that guard in the pic is just a proto, might change for production.
Make some cool Carbon ones Mr Plow. Though those nylon(or whatever it was)ones posted before looked pretty cool.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
916.jpg

With two seasons under our belt and a new manufacturer on board we have been able to make a bunch of refinements to the Zerode DH frame for 2013. Designated the Zerode G2, here are some of the changes from the old G1:

1) The geometry has had an overhaul for the G2. 3 sizes, shorter head tubes, longer top tubes and slacker head angles mean a race ready chassis for all body shapes and sizes.

2) With lessons learned from the G1 we have shaved over 300grams off the frame. Some of this is unsprung weight in the chainstay, axle and rocker further improving the Zerode suspension performance.

3) The down tube yolk has been redesigned to increase the ground clearance by 20mm, increase chain ring clearance for a better primary chain line and incorporates a sturdy shock guard mount so your shock and frame are protected from stray rocks.

4) Each Zerode will come with 2 shifters. The standard Alfine unit and a modified SRAM unit. You choose which one you feel most at home with.

5) A new rectangular down tube is stiffer, lighter and stronger than the old round tube.

6) The chainstay has been redesigned to increase tyre, crank and chain tensioner clearance.

7) Reduced travel from 9.25” to 8.3”. With less unsprung weight and an efficient axle path we felt a little less travel would give a more lively feel, reduce weight and make a great pedalling chassis even better without sacrificing it’s superb bump eating ability.

8) New colours….The G2 is Bead blasted and anodised in Black or Charcoal with four decal options. Custom Anodising is available.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Couple of quick setup questions for a new (used) zerode owner, hope you guys don't mind. I google'd around for this info but couldn't find it.

What is the proper spacer setup on the casette?

I'm going to be running Saints, not the very latest version but the one before that. What kind of BB spacer setup should I go with? Right now I have 1 5mm spacer on each side.

The person I bought the frame from (I think he posts on here, might even be demo9?) didn't include the chainring spacer. Is that something I definitely need?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Couple of quick setup questions for a new (used) zerode owner, hope you guys don't mind. I google'd around for this info but couldn't find it.

What is the proper spacer setup on the casette?Straightest proper chain line to Alfine sprocket, whatever that takes spacer wise.

I'm going to be running Saints, not the very latest version but the one before that. What kind of BB spacer setup should I go with? Right now I have 1 5mm spacer on each side.Whatever gives the same spacing from chain stays on each side.

The person I bought the frame from (I think he posts on here, might even be demo9?) didn't include the chainring spacer. Is that something I definitely need?
You want to use spacers(washers are fine)between crank spiders and chain ring to set the chainring with chain on it as close to frame as possible. Check chain ring is straight. All of the above will give you the longest sprocket and chain life, but doesn't matter if it's a touch out, they last for ever anyway. Just might add some drag if not straight.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
cool, thanks. I'll throw a chain on there and see how it looks.

Are most people running a 32t ring?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

What is the proper spacer setup on the casette?

I'm going to be running Saints, not the very latest version but the one before that. What kind of BB spacer setup should I go with? Right now I have 1 5mm spacer on each side.

Rob is using standard chainring spacers now. I am 99% certain you need a total of 6mm at each bolt shimano makes them in numerous sizes. So a good size shop will have the different widths you need to = 6mm. As for the BB spacing it is standard Shimano for an 83mm BB which I think is 1 spacer on drive side and 2 on non drive. I don't have a bike here but can double check....in the AM what the one I have built is doing.

Yes you have to run a 32 tooth on the front.....

Last edited:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I pulled the BB off my tr450 and it had 1 on the drive and 2 on the non drive so that probably is standard 83mm shimano.

thanks for all the info Ian and no skid marks!

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
View attachment 113262

With two seasons under our belt and a new manufacturer on board we have been able to make a bunch of refinements to the Zerode DH frame for 2013. Designated the Zerode G2, here are some of the changes from the old G1:

1) The geometry has had an overhaul for the G2. 3 sizes, shorter head tubes, longer top tubes and slacker head angles mean a race ready chassis for all body shapes and sizes.

2) With lessons learned from the G1 we have shaved over 300grams off the frame. Some of this is unsprung weight in the chainstay, axle and rocker further improving the Zerode suspension performance.

3) The down tube yolk has been redesigned to increase the ground clearance by 20mm, increase chain ring clearance for a better primary chain line and incorporates a sturdy shock guard mount so your shock and frame are protected from stray rocks.

4) Each Zerode will come with 2 shifters. The standard Alfine unit and a modified SRAM unit. You choose which one you feel most at home with.

5) A new rectangular down tube is stiffer, lighter and stronger than the old round tube.

6) The chainstay has been redesigned to increase tyre, crank and chain tensioner clearance.

7) Reduced travel from 9.25” to 8.3”. With less unsprung weight and an efficient axle path we felt a little less travel would give a more lively feel, reduce weight and make a great pedalling chassis even better without sacrificing it’s superb bump eating ability.

8) New colours….The G2 is Bead blasted and anodised in Black or Charcoal with four decal options. Custom Anodising is available.

so why is it so hard to post all the relevant specs on the website? still missing ACTUAL frame weight, shock length, shock type, shock options

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
It is a 2.75 stroke with two shock choices as before. It is either an RC4 or CCDB for shock choice. CCDB Air may be an option he has ti ride it with one first the DHX felt not very good so he isn't offering them.