Quantcast

"there is no god but allah"

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
essentially, that's the message from bishop muskens (what? you never heard of him?)
Amsterdam, Aug. 14, 2007 (CWNews.com) - A Dutch Catholic bishop has suggested that Christians should refer to God as "Allah" to promote better relations with Muslims.

Bishop Martinus "Tiny" Muskens of Breda told the "Network" television show that "God doesn't really care how we address Him."

Pointing out that "Allah" is a term already used by Christians who speak Arabic, Bishop Muskens said that humans are needlessly divided over such terminology. God, the bishop said, is above such "bickering."

The Dutch bishop admitted that his suggestion was not likely to gain widespread acceptance. But he predicted that within a century or two, Dutch Catholics would be addressing prayers to "Allah." :shocked:

Bishop Muskens has a history of creating occasional controversy within the Church. He has broken with Vatican leadership to endorse the use of condoms as a means of preventing the spread of AIDS, and in 2006 he traveled to Uganda to endorse the work of a group called Stop AIDS Now, which emphasized condom distribution.
i'm starting to see where monty python gets their material.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
To promote better relations with Muslims? Sheesh, talk about a complicated solution possibly creating another problem. For a start, how about practicing the same religious tolerance that Catholics and Christians demand from others?

Read: don't hate and attempt to convert every breathing organism on the planet. Also, don't bring Gawd into the schools while alienating other religions.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
time to change your sig, reflux. perhaps something from teh allah snackbar?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
time to change your sig, reflux. perhaps something from teh allah snackbar?
Perhaps. It was an impulse change in the first place and it's place in my sig was doomed to be temporary. As for a new sig, nothing quotable has graced my eyes lately, but you guys never fail to disappoint in the end.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i think what this dutch bishop fails to realize is that islamic discourse - namely the qur'an & other pronouncements (hadiths) - are unique in that they exist primarily in arabic, which is curious for such a far-reaching religion where arabic is not the mother tongue. if nothing else, this failure to assume the tongue of the host nation is indicative of how this faith seems to have a significant number who refuse to assimilate.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i think what this dutch bishop fails to realize is that islamic discourse - namely the qur'an & other pronouncements (hadiths) - are unique in that they exist primarily in arabic, which is curious for such a far-reaching religion where arabic is not the mother tongue. if nothing else, this failure to assume the tongue of the host nation is indicative of how this faith seems to have a significant number who refuse to assimilate.
resistance is futile?