Quantcast

Things I dont understand...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I originally wrote this for the Lounge...but it kind of changed directions after the third beer of the night...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Petty. Just not good music. Not feeling it.

And for that matter- Jam bands (I love the dead...but Dave Matthews, WSP and others, I just dont see the attraction behind a 45 minute solo/song)

Hipsters. Nuff said.

White anger. What do most of these morons have to be angry about? Did they have a country that was built on the backs of others stolen from them?

Smoking. My Mom and father in law were both pack a day + for many many years...wtf? Why would you spend money on something that you know will make you stink, taste funny and ultimately kill you? Especially after manufacturers admitted they were trying to hook you?

Cross Fit. Really? Just what we needed, another fitness trend that ignores many time scientifically proven concepts and invents a competitive aspect just to stay alive...come on people, go find a shelter to volunteer at.

Hopped up trucks, cars and motorcycles. Cool...look at me...look at me...LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh...everyone loves going fast...but really? Dont we push it a bit too much?

American Exceptionalism. If this country is exceptional, it is because it is the sum of its parts...parts that have come from every corner of the globe. Parts that are made up of every race, creed. color and religion...and yet we are hung up on some rich kid who throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way and threatens to sue everyone and his brother for all kinds of outlandish shit. WTF is wrong with this country anyway?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I originally wrote this for the Lounge...but it kind of changed directions after the third beer of the night...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tom Petty. Just not good music. Not feeling it.
I love how he makes the simplest guitar solo that I could play seem like the hardest fucking thing ever. I do like two of his songs, the Last Dance one and Into the Great Wide Open, cause it sounds so hopeless. Other than that, MASSIVELY overblown and overrated. Yeah, he was with Dillon, and he fucking sounds like he is trying to sound like Dillon. I like the SNL parodies better.

And for that matter- Jam bands (I love the dead...but Dave Matthews, WSP and others, I just dont see the attraction behind a 45 minute solo/song)
Or I say, squeaky-ass non-singing mofo.

White anger. What do most of these morons have to be angry about? Did they have a country that was built on the backs of others stolen from them?

It's important to be angry, at something, like Obama, Guberment, Jews, etc. Most importantly, don't ever think about anything that could ever challenge your belief system.

Smoking. My Mom and father in law were both pack a day + for many many years...wtf? Why would you spend money on something that you know will make you stink, taste funny and ultimately kill you? Especially after manufacturers admitted they were trying to hook you?
Right? Yeah, I'm just going to drink a whole bunch of motor oil and sludge and who could predict it would actually be bad for me? I'm going to inhale a whole bunch of smoke in my lungs for my lifetime and everything should be fine. I realize they didn't have all that "science" back in the day, but this is something we really need science to figure out? Ok, confession, I AM drinking scotch right now...

Cross Fit. Really? Just what we needed, another fitness trend that ignores many time scientifically proven concepts and invents a competitive aspect just to stay alive...come on people, go find a shelter to volunteer at.
I disagree with the commercialized "you have to buy my video and work out with me at my crossfit gym" idea, but the concept of concentrating on core strength has been long-overlooked IMO. Take what you need from the fad and let the fallible spend their money on the gym and other crap.

Hopped up trucks, cars and motorcycles. Cool...look at me...look at me...LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sheesh...everyone loves going fast...but really? Dont we push it a bit too much?
What's a hopped up motorcycle? Maybe you mean the custom cycles and shit. Reminds me of when I screwed up and bought the "much louder than I intended" WRX exhaust due a part number mixup. Due to this and the wagon resonance, I had something that sounded like a loud low earthquake, not at all like an STI with no cats and straight pipe. At a drive through the guys would look left and right when I pulled up, looking for the car making the low rumbling noise. When those harley guys would sit there at the stop-light revving their engine going "blahp blahp blahp", I would gun the throttle and overpower them. Hilarious to see the look on their face. Fuck you, I'll just hold it at 4000K. How you like that?

Anyway, the trucks have gotten bat-shit crazy. Everyone is complaining about how little they make and how expensive shit is, because the want to buy an $80,000 truck with low profile tires.

American Exceptionalism. If this country is exceptional, it is because it is the sum of its parts...parts that have come from every corner of the globe. Parts that are made up of every race, creed. color and religion...and yet we are hung up on some rich kid who throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way and threatens to sue everyone and his brother for all kinds of outlandish shit. WTF is wrong with this country anyway?
Everything bad is the fault of the poor, don't you know?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
delete your punk rock.
Stuff I listen to isnt about the kind of meaningless misdirected white privilege that I was alluding to. Perhaps my statement was not detailed enough for you. I understand you are still angry about the Phlyers sucking this year...dont worry, you still have the 70s...

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My take is people like to complain and they have always have an audience. In the RM lounge a post pissing in the wind about your boss or coworkers will generate more response than a post about how great it is to be alive.

I do agree though, I used to be a big fan of Neil Young until Rockin in the Free World; without the fatally flawed US there would be no Neil Young - he should be thankful for tin soldiers, Nixon and the south.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I really don't understand photo-copiers. I never can seem to get the original positioned just right. But I also haven't had to use one in quite some time.

Oh shit, there isn't going to be a photo-copier test is there ? I really hope not, just don't need the stress.

Damn it, just typing this is stressing me out, better go for a long ride in the woods tomorrow.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Stuff I listen to isnt about the kind of meaningless misdirected white privilege that I was alluding to. Perhaps my statement was not detailed enough for you.
plenty detailed.

i'd still say delete it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Add to the list...

Foods, mainly vegetables, that are only consumed after being dipped in, covered, slathered or immersed in some kind of sauce, marinade or au jus that destroys whatever nutritional value it does have...if you wouldn't eat it straight away, why would you eat it? I'm talking to you brussel sprouts...asparagus...artichokes...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I really don't understand photo-copiers. I never can seem to get the original positioned just right. But I also haven't had to use one in quite some time.

Oh shit, there isn't going to be a photo-copier test is there ? I really hope not, just don't need the stress.

Damn it, just typing this is stressing me out, better go for a long ride in the woods tomorrow.
Think of thousands of tiny minions with pencils in a box.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
The whole 'exceptionalism' thing always gets me as well. This country, like all others will constantly evolve and morph. When i hear people use that phrase, I think it's just people scared of change.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The whole 'exceptionalism' thing always gets me as well. This country, like all others will constantly evolve and morph. When i hear people use that phrase, I think it's just people scared of change.
this could sum up the choices for president.....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What is so hard to understand? Folks are different, and what may appeal to one certainly may not appeal to another.

Mitch Hedberg said:
You can't please all of the people all of the time. And last night, all of those people were at my show.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Think of thousands of tiny minions with pencils in a box.
I thought it was nano-bots with microscopic Polaroid cameras and the entire copy process being orchestrated by the cleaning lady for David Ogden Stiers. Gosh, there really is a lot I don't understand. Better go for a ride in the woods to work all this out.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Add to the list...

Foods, mainly vegetables, that are only consumed after being dipped in, covered, slathered or immersed in some kind of sauce, marinade or au jus that destroys whatever nutritional value it does have...if you wouldn't eat it straight away, why would you eat it? I'm talking to you brussel sprouts...asparagus...artichokes...
destroyed, no, negatively offset sure. that's how fat people eat veggies.

and the last 3 veggies are just fine if prepared properly. slightly harder to prep than the average veggie but by no means an insurmountable task.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I wouldn't call halving them and sauteeing them covered, over low heat for 15-20 mins, labor intensive...I guess more so than steaming broccoli, etc., but not really. And so. damn. good.

I wouldn't call halving them and sauteeing them covered, over low heat for 15-20 mins, labor intensive...I guess more so than steaming broccoli, etc., but not really. And so. damn. good.
We grow 'em in our garden without insecticides and whatnot, so for me there's some process of removal of outer layers. I steam initially, then sautee with butter, pepper, and whim of the day. Have also roasted them.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Why a chunk of this country is supporting a POTUS candidate who is a blowhard hack attention whore businessman with an inflated sense of self importance and a string of failures behind him...and who has never held elected office of any kind?

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Why a chunk of this country is supporting a POTUS candidate who is a blowhard hack attention whore businessman with an inflated sense of self importance and a string of failures behind him...and who has never held elected office of any kind?
Hard to understand why an entire country would go along with the genocidal practices of an insane tyrant, but it happened in Germany.

A significant chunk of the population thinks just like Trump, but would continue to harmlessly grumble amongst themselves without a leader to galvanize their collective fear and hate.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Hard to understand why an entire country would go along with the genocidal practices of an insane tyrant, but it happened in Germany.

A significant chunk of the population thinks just like Trump, but would continue to harmlessly grumble amongst themselves without a leader to galvanize their collective fear and hate.
It's so scary how governments including ours have historically sanctioned racism. In my life the US has never been perfect in regards to race discrimination, but at least "officially" has always been attempting to make progress. I find it unbelievable that we now have a popular politician who would take us backwards willingly and openly.
I don't know what's more disturbing, Trump, or the apparently not insignificant mass of racist fvcks left in this country.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
To me it has become a matter of the idiots in this country showing their true colors...in the past 8 years so many standards have been doubled and a seriously ugly side of this nation has been exposed to the light. We will see where it takes us...

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Yeah, when Obama was elected I was so optimistic that our country had come so far in regards to racism. I naively thought we had progressed as a nation by electing the first Africa American President. Could not have been more wrong as the subtle and not so subtle examples of disrespectful racist behavior towards Obama by members of congress, the GOP, Fox news and countless hordes of enraged white conservatives began to emerge.

Trump and the mob are inching ever closer to electing American Hitler as the rest of the world looks on with disgust. His rhetoric is not going un-noticed and could damage our relations with other countries. What ever game he's playing, it's a dangerous one.