Quantcast

things that don't suck

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Riding without glasses... soon. (At least the climbs)
Getting Lasik or contacts?

First 4-5 rides after I got lasik freaked me the fuck out, you can see so much more detail in your peripheral vision I was having trouble focusing. After getting used to it though, 20/10-20/5 vision is amazing! Not only can I actually wear sunglasses when it's bright as shit, but I can see all the rocks I want to ram like a big dumb idiot.

Even wearing clear lenses at night my vision is infinitely better than it was with glasses.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
oh oh oh. I forgot one.

Vital's podcast.

It's still amazing to me there aren't more quality mtb podcasts out there, the path is pretty good also.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Getting Lasik or contacts?

First 4-5 rides after I got lasik freaked me the fuck out, you can see so much more detail in your peripheral vision I was having trouble focusing. After getting used to it though, 20/10-20/5 vision is amazing! Not only can I actually wear sunglasses when it's bright as shit, but I can see all the rocks I want to ram like a big dumb idiot.

Even wearing clear lenses at night my vision is infinitely better than it was with glasses.
PRK

Just got my contact bandage off moments ago. 20/25 20/30 and things ought to sharpen up over the next few days.

Half shell and goggles for me for the next little while.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Been watching Ben Cathro's YouTube stuff a bit lately. The dude is really good at what he does. I wish more of the pros ran some kind of informative stuff for us plebs rather than just trying to sell us RedBull and Oakley shit all the time.

I87 northbound, a blue Mini with NJ plates passes...

149 east, there's the mini again, can't quite manage to get above the speed limit. It gains the advantage by some red light timing...

22 northbound...

4 westbound...

22A northbound, there's the Mini again, same shit, 45 in a 50... plus there's a ? Toyota with MA plates tailgating me...

Finally get a clear line of dight, floor it and pass the Mini, which speeds up and follows...

Mini passes me, gives me the finger, followed by the Toyota...

Speed limit drops to 40 from 50, I drop speed, blue lights ahead...

Sheriff, with blues on, passes both cars, continues at moderate speed, I'm a little puzzled...

Another Sheriff falls in behind me, now I'm really puzzled...

First sheriff stops just past a side road, directs the Mini and Toyo into it, waves me on, following sheriff turns on blues, stops...

I give S1 a thumbs up.

In retrospect, I think it was a drug courier stop.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@toodles
Ben aint a pro. Well. he is. but probably not the way you're thinking. He runs http://sickskills.co.uk/ coaching and races and runs a race team with a little outside help/support. but not a big pro deal or anything.
I've known Ben since he was a little kid (he wasn't all that little even then TBH) racing Youth here. His Dad Alan was a huge part of the Scottish racing scene involved in running the SDA DH series. Just like his dad Ben's always been massively enthusiastic, friendly and helpful and obviously an imense talent on a bike and absolutely loves the sport. It's great to see him doing well with the business and the Youtube chanel. Last time I spoke to him Sickskills was just a random day at Ft william around the time Sickskills was starting to take off and he was puting tons of time into promoting it (often for free). Even when he was British champion and had managed top 10 at WC level I'm fairly sure he wasn't breaking even with the cost of racing/travel. In the last few years he's worked really hard and turned his passion into his living. I'm rarely around the race scene at all anymore but he seems to be back racing a lot in Scotland and from what I gather he'll be doing the odd WC again this year. Give him a follow on social media. (I don't even have Facebook, but have really enjoyed his youtube stuff)

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Speaking of YouTube, there a channel called mtb where a few Earthed episodes have been uploaded recently with good quality. Here is one

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Ben Cathro easily had the best race content from the WC rounds he attended last year. Excited to see if he can do more of the same this year.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
meeting a borderline senior citizen on the trails, sitting and chatting for 15 minutes about everything except bikes then letting him lead out the next section of trail to be nice only to have him pass me on every climb and move off trail while cheering me on the downs. props to tom and his saddle bag, 2 frame bags, hiking boots in toe clips, 2.1 tubed tires and bike i didn't even recognize w/suspension so old & stiff i'm not sure it was actually moving.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have to mention the 100% Brisker gloves that I've been using for pretty much this entire winter. They do not suck.

I've used them from -10c to +5c. They keep my hands warm, aren't too bulky and generally don't make my hands sweat. I prefer to use these gloves over the "warmer" Mavic Aksium gloves that I have.

They aren't the cheapest gloves out there, but I would 10/10 bang again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have to mention the 100% Brisker gloves that I've been using for pretty much this entire winter. They do not suck.

I've used them from -10c to +5c. They keep my hands warm, aren't too bulky and generally don't make my hands sweat. I prefer to use these gloves over the "warmer" Mavic Aksium gloves that I have.

They aren't the cheapest gloves out there, but I would 10/10 bang again.
love my briskers. Keep me warm but I can actually feel the bike. Got two pairs by accident, kept the second because they're nice gloves.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if y'all need kickass winter gloves, answer sleestaks. warm as hell (i've used them as low as about 8°, colder when accounting for windchill), 1 finger braking, great feel, and best of all you can find them for about $35 (msrp is $40)

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
if y'all need kickass winter gloves, answer sleestaks. warm as hell (i've used them as low as about 8°, colder when accounting for windchill), 1 finger braking, great feel, and best of all you can find them for about $35 (msrp is $40)
Answer Sleestaks:
gloves-detail-sleestak-cammo.jpg