Quantcast

things you can do with a broken arm?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
this probably belongs in the lounge but dhers have a higher incident of injury so i thought it would be more useful.
i broke my hand on sunday. nothing horrible but i'm off for 4-6 weeks. being a machinist, i'm unable to work. i'm trying to figure out things to do to keep me from going insane.
so far i have:
applied for my passport (to make it easier to go to whistler)
gone to the dentist
took care of some lingering financial issues
got all of my scrips filled

i'm out of ideas and it will probably be a bit before i can work.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
buildyourown said:
this probably belongs in the lounge but dhers have a higher incident of injury so i thought it would be more useful.
i broke my hand on sunday. nothing horrible but i'm off for 4-6 weeks. being a machinist, i'm unable to work. i'm trying to figure out things to do to keep me from going insane.
so far i have:
applied for my passport (to make it easier to go to whistler)
gone to the dentist
took care of some lingering financial issues
got all of my scrips filled

i'm out of ideas and it will probably be a bit before i can work.
"My advice to you is: To start drinking heavily" - John Belushi in Animal House

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This may be considered blasphemous but I managed to get some road rides in with a broken hand last year.

There is always drinking beer.

Hiking.

True up some wheels.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
u can always try to take the game of curling... great and boring sport that only reguires one hand, as long as u are the person moving the stone. good luck with it if u should try it, and let me know what its like im interested.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
very true but cycling for thoose who know nothing about the sport might find it boring, i guess i cant rightfuly say its boring without ever playing it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
dhriderII said:
u can always try to take the game of curling... great and boring sport that only reguires one hand, as long as u are the person moving the stone. good luck with it if u should try it, and let me know what its like im interested.

i've tried curling. it's expensive, you have to either join a league or rent out the whole rink (expensive) and they thaw the rink in mid april

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I had a partial separation in my left shoulder for the last 8 weeks. I am finally back on the bike. In the off time, I hit the leg presses, extensions, calf presses, etc. pretty hard. Well... it actually paid off. I hate the gym, and it was boring as hell, but my sprinting is better now than it was before I was injured. I suppose if you are already a gym rat, then this is old hat, but it was new to me. Good luck with the recoup.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
-get a ps2 and be on RM a every minute.
maybe you cuod learn 1 handed wheeliea and bunnyhops.

In mba in the hardcore rider section , one guy was born with on arm, but he easily hit a 20' wooden trail drop.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Think healing thoughts. Write a nice letter to your mother.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
Fire up the CAD station and think up some new stuff to make. Read some books. Burn a lot of new CD's. Spring cleaning - get rid of some stuff you don't use anymore. Track down some new restaurants you've never bothered to try. Go camping and/or hiking. Send emails to people you haven't spoken to in a while, or call them.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
cad, yeah lol that might drive him insane if he doesnt have someone there to help along thru it, i know i was going crazying trying to get all the commands down.:mumble:

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
When I was out for 10 weeks last fall:
-rode the trainer (lasted a weekend)
-drank beer
-learned to wipe with the other hand
-drank some more beer

still trying to ride off the beer weight

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dhriderII said:
maybe even no hands needed if u get good enought!
Well, I figured that he'd be doing more than riding down the road. Don't the hardcore unicycle guys like Kris use a single brake? It'd be pretty hardcore to do those trials-y while keeping the wheel from rotating using just your leg power!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Join a gym and do the stepper or Elypitcal machine, will make riding much more fun when you start back...........and stare at the thongs on the machine in front of you......