Quantcast

Think "Mountain Park"

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
Like for a freeride competition thing. Like BMX park only geared for 26" freeride stunts out in the woods.

A realtively small closed area with interlaced loops linking a dozen or so stunts and jumps. A rider gets a set time and has to put it all together. Can have set points for each stunt based on the difficulty and style points on each jump.

I have such a course and would love to have a grass roots kind of thing. Who knows, could start a trend. A cuircut of Freeride parks for competitions.

What Say?

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
Check out the Southeast Photo thread page 34 in The South. Or you can see my thumbnails in the Trail Building thread. My trails are Tar River and the Freeride stunts for "Mountain Park" are in the "Playground".

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1001.0

Last link

There are a lot more stunts in the Playground. It seems everybody takes pictures of the same ones.

A run down of the Playground stunts;
100' "S" cedar sky bridge,
Lil' Sister huck (3.5' high) w/ 5" skinny option,(the skinny is ussually hit going up from a mound jump on the other side of the ravine, it's tough)
DH run-berm to mound to gap to cedar wall to spine to bermed climb.
Monster jump (adjustable kicker jump),
bridge to teeter to creek gap,
bridge to roller to berm to skinny over rootball,
Radial ramp to spine berm to cedar wall

The Cedar Wall can be hit from 3 different lines from both directions. One is off the "S" ramp down a 8' high 45 deg chute ramp.

Many of the pics are in the new "Phase II" Playground. An adjacent area linked by trail. The pic of Noah on the 'little trail drop thingy" is the linking trail. For competiton total scores could be a combination of rounds on both sections.

The Mega Drop is on property a mile away. It's a cool jump that can drop a rider over 15' and 40' over the ground, but, is not part of the "Playground".

The whole idea works because all the stunts can easily be linked together. Momentum from one takes you to the next.

Right now there are stunt parks being built across the country that could be set up for this kind of competition. Here in NC Planet Zod and Pee Wee's could be part of a curcuit.

Think about it people.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
Yeah the comp sounds fun, but maybe don't time it.
I think it would be fun to see who could come up with the most creative lines and tricks. I thik a holistic dirt jumping type scoring system would work best.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
they already have a comp like that in Oregon or Washington...I think it's the Chutes and ladders contest or something...check it out...might help you on starting your own comp...

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
I'll look for some info.

Big Mike, Tar River is about 2 hours south of Richmond off I85 south of Oxford NC. Your welcome to come down and check it out.

Scoring could be worked out over time. DH uses simple time and keeping things simple is good. BMX scores moves, and leaves the routine up to the rider. I like that, but it's subjective. Scoring each stunt and giving a set time leaves the line and how to mix it up to the rider. Probably the easiest and most creative for the rider. Setting a task, like ride all the wooden structures for time, allows variation and would work. Maybe some combinations of all of the above depending on the course, available judges and circumstances. Consistancy over a curcuit would be good though.

The whole idea is to have a way for the strongest riders to come out on top. A 5 minute balls out routine with the person who can put the most into it being the winner would do that.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
good idea. really good. We'd just have to do it in the winter, and *gasp* you might have to clear it out a little more. Right now, you can barely see a single stunt. we can work that out, though.

TM1

Monkey
Jul 19, 2002
Central NC
There is a problem with Fall/Winter months. Hunting. All the property around here is leased by hunting groups from Sept to May.

Visibilty through the trees still is difficult in the winter. I quess it's part of my building style to make things a "tunnel". I've stuffed over a mile and a half of trail and all of the stunts into about 10 acres of land. The thick growth between is a visual block. In many places there is less than 10' between the lines of trail. But, when your riding you don't see it and it just seems like your going deeper and deeper into the woods.

I realize it makes taking pics difficult, and it's difficult to see what's ahead. Makes for some interesting surprizes at speed. Because it's close we clear the stunts verbally. For a competttion each rider would have the course to himself for the ride. You just have to know the course.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Sounds like a good idea bryan. you might want to get with some of the guys in FL that built the TOE over on freeride south . they put on freeride comps almost quarterly now and that place is getting insane! heck...even dangerous dan and others had to check it out for a magazine shoot :thumb:

anyhoo, i think it would be do-able but it would be wise to do it in the coolest weather possible considering the hunting schedules.

here's a pic of one of their many insane stunts

and a link to lots of other TOE pics to give you an idea of how big the turn-out is on their comps.
pics here