Quantcast

Thinking about a 5.56

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Think next week I am going to go pick myself up a nice bolt action 5.56. Open to suggestions for which one and idea's and suggestions. Main use will be for fun, and gopher/varmint hunting, will fire the .223 at that point of course but having the ability to fire the 5.56 without risking damage to the rifle is a plus when moving to larger varmint such as coyote etc..... Let the feedback roll

Last edited:
The ass tickler right now is the Mossberg MVP. Bolt action that accepts AR magazines, this is what you want. ruger american rifle has been getting great reviews for a sub $400 dollar gun, but you still need to buy glass and rings/mount.

I want a gunsite lefty really bad.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I have glass and rings so I am good there, in fact I have an assortment. Was just looking at the MVP, looks awesome, come gopher season a 30 round ar mag would be nice.

Dan I would go for a mini but I have enough semi's, looking for a bolt this time

Casey-Ryan

Monkey
Jan 2, 2012
Gloucester, MA
MVP is the way to go and there are so many aftermarket mags out there that it is super easy to stock up before any hunt. I live in MA so I got it so I could utilize my pre-ban mags from my Stag

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not sure .223 vs 5.56 is going to make a big difference with a coyote. It's 2800fps vs 3200 right? I can do both out of my AR, but realistically most people are going to buy .223 and there's no real reason IMO for the "capability" of 5.56, since it's not much more.

Think next week I am going to go pick myself up a nice bolt action 5.56. Open to suggestions for which one and idea's and suggestions. Main use will be for fun, and gopher/varmint hunting, will fire the .223 at that point of course but having the ability to fire the 5.56 without risking damage to the rifle is a plus when moving to larger varmint such as coyote etc..... Let the feedback roll
i'd check out the 300 black out, if financials allow for ammo costs.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/300-AAC-Blackout-Model-7-Rifle_p_631.html

or

http://www.advanced-armament.com/300-AAC-Blackout--Handi-Rifle_p_630.html

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I'm not sure .223 vs 5.56 is going to make a big difference with a coyote. It's 2800fps vs 3200 right? I can do both out of my AR, but realistically most people are going to buy .223 and there's no real reason IMO for the "capability" of 5.56, since it's not much more.
Only reason I like the capability is ammo supply, Yeah I will be shooting 223 most all the time
Yeah saw those, looking for something with a 20 - 22 inch barrel. Nothing this weekend while I was ot, Did manage to order a bunch of parts for others I already have though, gonna save up a bit more yet before I dump it on a cc, make sure I get what I want. Held a few of those 16 in barrel bolts, at that point I would just pick up my current AR. Im looking 100 to 300 yard plus shots with this one. More just cause I can than any type of needed

gonefirefightin

free wieners

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
He is quite correct actually, you see the one in your first pic has it installed already but not included<for obvious reasons> Not that it will hurt anything, but your ears, It is still a rather short barrel and if I were to go that short of a barrel I would stick with my AR

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So I never got my rifle yet, other expenses came up... Still saving up for the Howa, after some advice from GFF, reading up a bunch of reviews, and going and putting hands on the rifle it is worth waiting a bit more to get the one I want. Also should be getting a new .45 in the next few weeks as part of the new job too!