Quantcast

thinking abut racing agen.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I’m getting back in to mountain biking after a few years off. I use to race XC at the local level. I stopped because of a few serious injuries. What I want to know is if its really hard to come back to racing and being competitive after abut 4 years out of it? And if at 28 what my chances of turning pro might be. I’m not looking for big time sponsorship just a few local sponsors to help pay the caust of racing.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
i don't know what the chances of pro are but go race. See if you like it train do your best than see if you're pro or not. You might be i bit to old if you have never really been fit but just go race.

Now

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I was in grate shape when I stopped. I’m not in that kind of shape now but I think a season of serious work on the bike and in the gym will get me back to that. I was a climber when I raced. I wasn’t a really good technical rider but I could out climb any one.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well than get started and work on your technicle cause you'll need it to be pro.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya it sounds like a good idea to do a few local races to see if you still like and how good/bad you are. It will also give you an idea of what things you need to focus your training on for next year. I'm guessing racings almost over for the winter. It's snowing here and racing finished back is september.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Yea racing is dun here for the winter too. Un less i want to try cyclecross. I dont think i have what it takes for that right now. I have to talk to the shop that sponcers the thirsday night race to see when it starts. I think im going to spend the winter puting milles on the bike and on my road bike. The othar question i have is. Im building my first full suspention bike. I allso have my old race bike witch needs a fue new parts to update it. Witch would should i train on and race on?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I geuss it depends if the trails you race on have lots of roots and rocks that slow hardtails down i'd want an FS but I'm racing my C-dale hardtail on really bumpy canadain trails I'm fine with it. I think you said that you were not so good at tech but a fast climber so maybe the FS would be best. What is it?
I'd train on the old race bike and race on the new FS.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
On second thought maybe the Klein with some newer components would be better for racing.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Do them anyway even if you come dead last the more practic the better. It's always nice to see were you're starting from when training starts.