Quantcast

Thinking of getting rid of Karpiel, and building a 204? Thoughts?

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The last time anyone asked anything about a 204 around here was (surprise, surprise) when you dug up this thread 3 years ago. Before that, it was 2004.

FYI it is 2009 now so that is a full three years of absolutely zero interest,questions, or even mention of the 204. You are free to think that an outdated, proprietary, and heavy frame is the best thing since sliced bread. It is awesome that you have figured out overly complicated ways to keep an outdated proprietary frame with significant 'quirks' up and running.

BUT.....

NO one cares. No one is out there looking for info about the frame, crappy chainguide, odd hub, or screwy chainline/pivot. No one!!

If there were any interest in this subject, people would ask here. THey would ask at MTBR. But thy don't.

Maybe you could put all your super cool 204 faqs, stasts, mods, fixxes, etc on you own super special 204 web site. THen ALL the people that you think ride these bikes and need your help can find that help through your special site.........

Edit: it seems as you do have your very own Tomac 204 forum with all of your in-demand info available for all. Except that no one is asking questions, giving feedbackl looking for information, or posting anything about the Tomac 204 in any way at your site either.......

Hmmmmmm.........................................

Last edited:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I care too. There is one at a bike shop around here. I was thinking about picking it up. Any reason I shouldn't buy it besides it being outdated, proprietary, and heavy?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Brand new 204 hanging in Tread bike shop on Dyckman street in Manhattan, NYC. Im sure if anyone was interested he'd hook you up!

The SP, not the earlier Lawwill 204's.

Tomac bikes - hmm.. might be good but the looks and the gun obsessed names deter...

Jun 20, 2007
Not only do I care, but my DH bike is a Tomac Magnum 204! Great bike, still rides great despite all of the years. I am on my original rear hub and shock, and I still have my Hayes purples, and the Sun/Tomac rims. I like the info, because I want to know what my options are if my hub goes some day, or I have another problem.

Jun 20, 2007
I care too. There is one at a bike shop around here. I was thinking about picking it up. Any reason I shouldn't buy it besides it being outdated, proprietary, and heavy?
One more thing to consider-it is a long bike, best suited for wide open courses. In that situation, it can go as fast as you want. When the woods get tight, you could pick a better ride. The trade off for the weight is it is bombproof. I for one am not scared of the proprietary aspects, as the bike was built to last a looonnnnnggggg time.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
One more thing to consider-it is a long bike, best suited for wide open courses. In that situation, it can go as fast as you want. When the woods get tight, you could pick a better ride. The trade off for the weight is it is bombproof. I for one am not scared of the proprietary aspects, as the bike was built to last a looonnnnnggggg time.
Sort of....I owned one...never had a problem with hardware or anything, but a crack formed at the headtube and I got rid of it. Also, compared to most current frames, it has a really steep head angle- like 68 degrees or something. Not so great for fast and steep.