Quantcast

Thinking of losing a couple of inches - suggest me a 20

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
I've been riding a Faction zeitgeist 22 last couple of years , enjoying it but feel a change coming on. Most 20 inch bmx have felt too twitchy for me but just had a go of my friends custom Standard with 21.5 tt and big ass bars and it felt great. I may not need that long and thinking of a 21 or 21.25 as more avaliable. What else should I look out for? Is the rest of the geo pretty standard? I prefer slack rather than super steep head angle.
I've gone down from 24 to 22 and now want a 20 again after 20 plus years of not riding one, so I'm what you might call old old school. Mostly ride small, tight little skateparks.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I've been riding a Faction zeitgeist 22 last couple of years , enjoying it but feel a change coming on. Most 20 inch bmx have felt too twitchy for me but just had a go of my friends custom Standard with 21.5 tt and big ass bars and it felt great. I may not need that long and thinking of a 21 or 21.25 as more avaliable. What else should I look out for? Is the rest of the geo pretty standard? I prefer slack rather than super steep head angle.
I've gone down from 24 to 22 and now want a 20 again after 20 plus years of not riding one, so I'm what you might call old old school. Mostly ride small, tight little skateparks.
Although there are a ton of frame options out there, there aren't too many with slack head angles. Almost everything is 74.5 or 75 (even 75.5). The only new frames I can think of are the Deluxe BMX frames . . . . http://deluxebmx.com/product/pa-model-frame/

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Although there are a ton of frame options out there, there aren't too many with slack head angles. Almost everything is 74.5 or 75 (even 75.5). The only new frames I can think of are the Deluxe BMX frames . . . . http://deluxebmx.com/product/pa-model-frame/
Yeah. After a bit more thought and research I think 74.5 would be fine, just more than that feels way too twitchy, and that's the difference between the 20's I've liked or not. That and the longer tt and bigger bars.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Are you looking for a complete or a frame? Check the Fit Brian Foster or Justin Inman for a longer TT all round kickass bike.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hey Oldtricks, I was thinking the same myself!
One bike that keeps catching my attention is the Sunday Scout. Nice geo for us older guys. OK it's supposed to be designed for trails but seriously for us old guys it reminds me of my old BMX :))

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Are you looking for a complete or a frame? Check the Fit Brian Foster or Justin Inman for a longer TT all round kickass bike.
Just a frame I think. Anyone want to swap too - for a Faction 22 set up, Frame, forks, wheels, 4 tires...

The geo on the 20's seems to be pretty similar. I just want at least 21tt, and no steeper than 74.5.