Quantcast

Thinking of switching to SRAM drivetrain... cassette questions

Jan 8, 2007
Ladera Ranch
Look, DLC is neither VPP or DW. However, DLC IS particularly suited extremely well for high wear metal surfaces.
In time we will have DLC on cassettes, as that really would be a better place then on the chain.

"DLC coatings are formed when ionized and decomposed carbon or hydrocarbon species land on the surface of a substrate with energy typically 10-300eV. DLC films may possess exceptional mechanical (high hardness), optical (high optical band gap), electrical (high electrical resistivity), chemical (inert) and tribological (low friction and wear coefficient) properties and can be deposited at low substrate temperature (<200°C).

DLC films are generally amorphous (i.e have no dominant crystalline lattice structure) and consist of a mixture of sp2 (graphite) & sp3 (diamond) phases. Control of film properties is strongly dependent on the flux characteristics of the chosen deposition technique (PVD sputter or evaporation and Pa-CVD), metal and hydrogen content within the film, sp2:sp3 ratio, substrate bias voltage, ion energy and ion density as well as substrate temperature. DLC film friction coefficient against steel generally ranges from 0.05-0.20, whilst film hardness and sp3 content can be tailored for specific applications. Metal and hydrogen containing DLC (Me-DLC or a-C:H:Me) exhibit hardness in the range 500-2000HV with 35% sp3, metal free DLC (C-DLC or a-C:H) typically 1500-4000HV and up to 75% sp3 , whilst tetrahedral amorphous carbon (ta-C) can be 4000-9000HV with 80-85% sp3."

http://techmetals.com/pvd/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwzpfHBRC1iIaL78Ol-eIBEiQAdZPVKvHO1Ty7d0OhHb0rCXEk_893sPKlC7P5RsTa6R0NyAwaAgaT8P8HAQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond-like_carbon

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've decided to overhaul my drive train this spring. I've ordered a 32T round N/W chainring, one of them diamonds chains ($60-ish shipped IIRC) for dentist bragging rights, and a black SunRace MX3 $45 shipped. Based on teh comments here, I am quite sure my bike is going to explode. :D