Quantcast

Third Annual BEACON BLOWOUT DH Race

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
the old line through the rock was more chalenging and thus more fun, the drop is just a drop and there are atleast 3 drops exactly like that one in the course already. so why not keep the fun, techy, rock section.

BerSerK

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
What up everyone hope to see you at the beacon blow out

Ive been a long time mt Spokane rider but need to find some peeps to show me around beacon "old, new there all the same to me" i have lots of free time and want to ride let me know when you are going to have some fun and maybe i can join ya!

I want to race, but want to practice with the pros b4.

I live at the Y and can get their quickly HINT HINT MinorThreat lol

Give me a shout out guys i can keep up

Thanks

BerSerK

:cheers:

Downhillbell

Chimp
May 7, 2008
hey I am planing on racing the Bomber this year, but I dont know what class to race in.

I ride beacon quite a bit and hit most of the big drops there and I am quick amoung the group of riders I ride with.
I dont want to enter a beginner class and just walk over people, but I also dont want to ride in a class that is way over my head.
so what class should a 15 year old like me race in?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Sorry all! I didn't realize there were fresh posts until today (title wasn't bold on my browser - oops).

BerSerk - - I'd be happy to hook up with you for a ride; BUT - - my new frame is not here yet so I don't have a bike right now, and I'm on vacation the following week. Best bet is to call Chris A. at WheelSport East and find out the days they're going. Anyway, it seems like there's always somebody up there practicing and more will be as the race date gets nearer.

Downhillbell - - If you're hitting all the big stuff you should at least sign up Sport, I'd say. There are others that might advise Expert but only you can answer that. Jr Ex is a pretty stacked field usually and if you're sorta new to actual racing, there's no shame in running Sport.

Glad everyone is looking forward to it. Beacon is always fun and we will make every effort to make it a good day for all.

Downhillbell

Chimp
May 7, 2008
Sorry all! I didn't realize there were fresh posts until today (title wasn't bold on my browser - oops).

Downhillbell - - If you're hitting all the big stuff you should at least sign up Sport, I'd say. There are others that might advise Expert but only you can answer that. Jr Ex is a pretty stacked field usually and if you're sorta new to actual racing, there's no shame in running Sport.

Glad everyone is looking forward to it. Beacon is always fun and we will make every effort to make it a good day for all.

ok thanks, I havnt ever entered a race before but, A kid that I ride with a buddy that came in 2ed in the beginner class at Silver Mt. and that was before he got serious and I am faster than him to this day, so I was figureing that sport would be the best class for me to start in. But hopfully that is the right class for me. :cheers:

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
One good way to tell is, if you do every/most feature(s) on the course (drops, Twisted Sister, step-up, etc.) then you are definite Sport material. True beginners will be doing a lot of the ride-arounds.

Downhillbell

Chimp
May 7, 2008
ok thanks again as like I said I am hitting everything that beacon has to offer. but I have had a few people say that I could probably hold my own in the expert class.

I probably dont need to ask but who all is going up to beacon this weekend?
first I would like to ride with some one that has raced the bomber to tell me if I should possably race the expert or sport class and I would like someone to show me the last little section of the course. I know it from the top,then once you hit the step up close to the bottom I dont know where to go. I am guessing that with the good weather this weekend that there will be someone for one of the Mtb sites that could put me in the right class and show me the last of the course.
thanks for all the help and I am looking forward to a fun weekend of racing!!

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Doug,

I heard some rumor today that we had to be registered by tommorrow? any truth to this, or not? I won't be able to register until the day of the race(practice), so if I can't register then, I guess I'm not racing.

edit: n/m I read the site and whoever was telling me that, apparently can't read.

Kyle,

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Doug,

I heard some rumor today that we had to be registered by tommorrow? any truth to this, or not? I won't be able to register until the day of the race(practice), so if I can't register then, I guess I'm not racing.

edit: n/m I read the site and whoever was telling me that, apparently can't read.

Kyle,
Ya, they cannot read. Postmark date for mail-ins is May 27. I worked with active.com to make the online cutoff the same - - that still gives me plenty of time to download all of the onlines and set them up. And, YES, there will be on-site registration at Saturday practice. We just can't do day-of (Sunday) because we need time to get all the data sorted and generate the start list.

You have your NORBA license for '08 right? Because we will only be set up to do one-days for the Sports on down (or I guess the Opens challenging the pros?) We will not be able to sell season licenses on-site which Experts/Semis/Pros need to race their class or accumulate points.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
haha! I doubt there will be much problem - - You can ride better in your sleep than I can fully awake with a two-minute head start ;).

Got your Blindside put together yet? My floater kit was in the box sans axle so it delayed me a few days :(.

Downhillbell

Chimp
May 7, 2008
not to be the kid that doesn't know anything, but Is there any reason for me to get a year long NORBA license if I am racing in the sport class? I was planing on just doing the one day license
Will I need it for anything other than the Bomber?
The only other place I might race is at Silver and I don't know If I need one or not.
And If I do need a year long one, where do I have to go to buy it?

thank you guys again!!!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
If mostly all you're going to do is Silver, don't bother with a season license. Silver is self-insured, so their Sunday Series races do not require a license.

Silveroxx may be NORBA sanctioned; but, again, you can just purchase a one-day to cover that too. The prime motivations for going season license in Sport is if you were going to hit a National or two and wanted to accumulate Nat-standing points to qualify for the Championship, to satisfy sponsors, etc.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
If by "self shuttle" you mean push your own bike up the hill, then yeah. :biggrin:
But I am a fat, lazy, McD lovin American (really, no joke here) and I hate walking up hills. I came to DH, not hike!

Oh yea, and in response to this whole west side/east side, Tupac and Biggie thing you're all rambling about, I have the following to say on the whole matter:

West side bitches, west side.

When I lived on the East Coast (not the east side) we just took it as it came, finding racing where we could. There was only one race in VA, and it was the VA state champs as such.

So give poor Minorthreat a break. Running/putting together a race is a first class pain in the doo doo hole, with a real love/hate feeling towards it by the time its all said and done.

And bitching about $30? Come on now... $30 is dirty dirt cheap.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
haha! I doubt there will be much problem - - You can ride better in your sleep than I can fully awake with a two-minute head start ;).

Got your Blindside put together yet? My floater kit was in the box sans axle so it delayed me a few days :(.

haha, I got my BS built up the night before PA, I rode beacon last sunday and have never rode that poorly, I just need time on the new bike, I haven't ridden a DH bike in a while, it handles a little differently than my double.

Kyle,

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So I registered. Where the hell am I going? Directions, address, something...

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
So I registered. Where the hell am I going? Directions, address, something...
Go here and click on the Map tab. Then click 'map' view so you don't get the stupid aerial photo:

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1568131&assetId=70c3852a-b7cc-4af9-ad8a-d995b517f53a

I think last year I published concise driving directions. When I find them, I'll post them here. Crap, can't find them.

Physical address is 6707 E. Upriver Drive. Best way to get there is to take the Argonne exit #287 and turn left (North) across the freeway. Continue north throught the little town of Millwood, across the river and turn left (west) at the traffic light at Argonne and Upriver Drive. Go west on Upriver until you see the signs.

Doug

Last edited:

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
any word on what the course will be like? I heard rumor of a completely new course going around the waterfall/seattle line can anyone clarify?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Anyone know what the lodging situation is anywhere near there? Is there camping, or a Motel Six or something?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Go here and click on the Map tab. Then click 'map' view so you don't get the stupid aerial photo:

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1568131&assetId=70c3852a-b7cc-4af9-ad8a-d995b517f53a

I think last year I published concise driving directions. When I find them, I'll post them here. Crap, can't find them.

Physical address is 6707 E. Upriver Drive. Best way to get there is to take the Argonne exit #287 and turn left (North) across the freeway. Continue north throught the little town of Millwood, across the river and turn left (west) at the traffic light at Argonne and Upriver Drive. Go west on Upriver until you see the signs.

Doug
What is it, about a mile and a half to the gate?

If you are going up through Millwood, make sure to stop at the Rocket Bakery!!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
any word on what the course will be like? I heard rumor of a completely new course going around the waterfall/seattle line can anyone clarify?
Course will be much the same as the past two Blowouts. My dream of a longer course did not materialize because there is just not enough terrain to work with. I was scoping out some cool features but I did not want to cut out the waterfall and Seattle line so I had to can the idea. We will probably straighten it back out a bit after the step-up, eliminating last year's small drop that was a hard left after the step-up rock; so it will be more like it was year before last.

Also, there is a new double in the upper part of the course that got built this spring before the step-down drop. The ad hoc builders are always throwing something new into the mix.

We'll be out tomorrow morning staking out the course.

DirtMcGirk - - camping options include Riverside State Park (other side of town) or Liberty Lake County Park (farther out in the Spokane Valley). Tons of motels everywhere - - hopefully someone else will chime in about best/closest value.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Anyone know what the lodging situation is anywhere near there? Is there camping, or a Motel Six or something?
I'm staying at the Super 8, it's easy to get to the event from there. If you think Super 8 sucks there are many other options via the Service on Bones Over Metal.com

Check the top of the site.

The site gets some of the booking rate to help fund it. :spam:

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Hey MT, you should make the course go straight after the stepup and into the highspeed section of the old bomber course. The triple-double is prime right now!

Downhillbell

Chimp
May 7, 2008
Also, there is a new double in the upper part of the course that got built this spring before the step-down drop. The ad hoc builders are always throwing something new into the mix.
QUOTE]

I hate that new double soo much.:banghead: Its the only thing on the race course that scares me and I have yet to clear the entire thing clean. Its a good addition but I still hate the stupid thing.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Hey MT, you should make the course go straight after the stepup and into the highspeed section of the old bomber course. The triple-double is prime right now!
You got your wish, HTH - - it's in. I still personally prefer the waterfall/Seattle line but I was outvoted.

Downhillbell said:
I hate that new double soo much. Its the only thing on the race course that scares me and I have yet to clear the entire thing clean. Its a good addition but I still hate the stupid thing.
I'm a bit leery of it; so, needless to say, that's where I will be spending some time tomorrow trying to get it dialed.

Last edited:

Downhillbell

Chimp
May 7, 2008
I'm a bit leery of it; so, needless to say, that's where I will be spending some time tomorrow trying to get it dialed.

Yea I have honestly tried it 5 or 6 times and everytime I end up with the bottom bracket on the top of the landing. Maybe durring practice tomorrow I will be able to clean it. Are other ppl in the sport class clearing that?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Well this sucks.
Got stuck in Seattle after listening to my wife's theory on how much practice I need.

Never in my life have I ever missed a race I've registered for.

Someone post a photo.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I will get the files(s) from Cindy; I need to have them to generate the USAC report anyway. When I get that done, I'll re-sort the data and post it up somewhere this week.