Quantcast

\\\Third Dump GMT///

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:disgust1:
sounds like you leaf hating people need moar speed, moar suspensionz!!!!! steep, rutted, babyhead-littered trails in wilsons are eleventy-billion times more fun this time of year!
Seems like the proper solution is to sweep the leaves, cut out the roots, and remove the rocks.
I hear super wide rims, with super wide tires provide oodles of traction, allowing you to climb like a xc racer, and descend like a dh bike, in all conditions, all the time.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Narrower than the rest of that list? Yeah - that's why it was first in the list.

Doesn't it go, narrow->wide:

1) Regular, non-retarded 2.3-2.5 tires
2) Wide Trail
3) Plus
4) Fat

??
No, narrower than regular, non-retarded tires. The placement of the knobs is tighter on WT tires, narrower than on regular tires so the profile won't be too square on wider rims. As such, a regular tire is wider than a WT tire on such rims.

Clear as mud?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Try and find a festool retailer near you, they will be glad to demo the fancy stuff for you :)

If you do a lot of sanding, most people would say that their sanders are top notch.
Mebbe I will. I have a ton of time on my Bosch random orbit sander. I'd love to know if the Festool does something I can't live without.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Mebbe I will. I have a ton of time on my Bosch random orbit sander. I'd love to know if the Festool does something I can't live without.
I've got about $12k in festool stuff.
The system approach is great. Their plastic is brittle garbage. Replacement parts and abrasives are pricey. Dust collection is awesome. In our commercial-use environment, they're expensive to operate but the convenience/flexibility of the products makes them a better option over other brands cobbled together.
6/10 would rather not bang again but in too deep to switch brands.

E: their warranty service is great too. All of our sanders fail annually but, perhaps due to serial #s being worn off, they continue to repair them for free for me. Would rather not need that service but at least they stand behind their stuff.

Last edited:

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
The system approach is great. Their plastic is brittle garbage. Replacement parts and abrasives are pricey. Dust collection is awesome. In our commercial-use environment, they're expensive to operate but the convenience/flexibility of the products makes them a better option over other brands cobbled together.

E: their warranty service is great too. All of our sanders fail annually but, perhaps due to serial #s being worn off, they continue to repair them for free for me. Would rather not need that service but at least they stand behind their stuff.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=21&f7=FESTOOL

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

The system part of it is cool, I can understand that. Knowing what you know now, would you still happily march down Festool lane? Or would you mix and match some of their stuff with offerings from other companies?

My current lineup has stuff from Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Hitachi. No real complaints, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. I've come to appreciate the pleasure working with high quality purpose built equipment brings.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
The system part of it is cool, I can understand that. Knowing what you know now, would you still happily march down Festool lane? Or would you mix and match some of their stuff with offerings from other companies?

My current lineup has stuff from Bosch, Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Hitachi. No real complaints, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. I've come to appreciate the pleasure working with high quality purpose built equipment brings.
If dust collection is a major consideration Festool is hard to beat.
We own a lot of makita too, often rigged to tie into the festool vacs if containment is needed.
For recreational use a smart guy like yourself could mix and match brands to suit your needs.
For our crews, working out of various trailers/vans/trucks, the system approach saves a lot of headaches compared to when I built my own set-ups.

Festool makes great products, don't get me wrong.
They just weren't designed to be treated like a Weinstein intern, which is how my guys roll.