Quantcast

Third party spring for fox 40?

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
I'm running the blue spring on my performance LSC and I have about 13% sag.
Feels very nice in some part of the track, no ending support! but not in love on wet roots plus it's very tiring.

In my previous fox 40 rc2 I had the purple spring, I was about at 25% of sag and I'm not sure I want to go back there, is there any afterparty spring that sits in the middle? I saw the marzocchi spring, freaking expensive (80 british pound) and J-tech can build an adapter for 10 pounds, it's quite expensive for a steel spring, any other option?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How much do you weigh?
I think your deficits might actually be from the damper, particularly the wet roots part.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
150lbs, Pretty sure it’s not the shock tho, maybe it’s a bit the ultra stiff 35mm handlebar, maybe a bit the very thin grip but trust me the fork is wild stiff!

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Funny I have been told by fox UK that they won't import any more steel spring in EU....only ti for 160 pounds, or air conversion kit....this is bullshit!

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Quick coil question. I have the 350# coil on the trail bike. Should i get the same for the DH bike or keep it at a higher weight? It came with 450#. When my bike rack comes in tomorrow, ill be able to ride the DH moar and want a nice ride.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Quick coil question. I have the 350# coil on the trail bike. Should i get the same for the DH bike or keep it at a higher weight? It came with 450#. When my bike rack comes in tomorrow, ill be able to ride the DH moar and want a nice ride.
How do the leverage ratios compare?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
At 150lbs (is that without gear?) you should be on a blue spring anyway.
According to Fox (from memory) that's the middle point between blue and purple, but from experience, for any remotely serious DH riding while on that cusp, I'd always pick the blue. If you really want a purple I bet heaps of people have them sitting around somewhere - since 40s used to come with all 3. Put up a wanted ad. I'm pretty sure the 380 springs fit too, just be careful with rates because they run very soft (a firm is softer than the Fox Blue, so I wouldn't bother with a medium).

I can't comment on your fork without riding it but you did mention the bike is brand new, and sometimes they can take a while to break in properly and loosen up to their final form. It's improved a lot these days and is more consistent/faster but I'd still give it some time. It could also just be the damper being inferior to the RC2.

I think running an RC2 damper would probably be of benefit, particularly set up using the HSC for adding compression support and keeping the LSC below 1/3 of its total range. If it were me I'd 100% keep the blue spring, and invest in the RC2 (assuming the fork is running well and has no chassis issues). You probably think you want to wait for the Grip2 but after your X2 experience hopefully you'll be over the "latest=greatest" stuff.

Good luck either way!

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
At 150lbs (is that without gear?) you should be on a blue spring anyway.
According to Fox (from memory) that's the middle point between blue and purple, but from experience, for any remotely serious DH riding while on that cusp, I'd always pick the blue. If you really want a purple I bet heaps of people have them sitting around somewhere - since 40s used to come with all 3. Put up a wanted ad. I'm pretty sure the 380 springs fit too, just be careful with rates because they run very soft (a firm is softer than the Fox Blue, so I wouldn't bother with a medium).

I can't comment on your fork without riding it but you did mention the bike is brand new, and sometimes they can take a while to break in properly and loosen up to their final form. It's improved a lot these days and is more consistent/faster but I'd still give it some time. It could also just be the damper being inferior to the RC2.

I think running an RC2 damper would probably be of benefit, particularly set up using the HSC for adding compression support and keeping the LSC below 1/3 of its total range. If it were me I'd 100% keep the blue spring, and invest in the RC2 (assuming the fork is running well and has no chassis issues). You probably think you want to wait for the Grip2 but after your X2 experience hopefully you'll be over the "latest=greatest" stuff.

Good luck either way!
Thanks Udi, I will follow your advice and wait for a break in period, even tho I would be very surprise, on roots it's like VERY stiff.

The Marzocchi I was thinking of this https://j-techsuspension.co.uk/collections/springs/products/marzocchi-380-888-fork-springs it's a 6.5N so between the purple 6.1N and the blue 7N, not sure if it may damage the internal stanchions tho or if it's super heavy.

RC2 it's crazy expensive (400£) I will wait since the Grip2 it's out they will probably lower it, or find it used...fitting 5 spacers in the float X2 helped immensely, it's diving into the travel much less and believe it or not rebound feels faster (go figure), I have no doubt an RC4 feels way better but it was a cheap fix and it's usable now, I was hoping to get a quick and cheap fix for the fork chatter too and just enjoy the bike as it is for a season and enjoy the upgrades next year.

I'll give it 4-5 more riding days to see if it gets better.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah that'd probably be a good option for you - by don't get the medium I meant the 5.4 (obs way too soft), but the 6.5 should be good. The marzocchi spring wrap is average but once it dies you can just replace it with the same black heatshrink tubing that Fox uses. I think it's just normal electrical heatshrink, @toodles hooked me up with a big strip from his work, maybe he can tell you what diameter. I use a single long strip in the center like Fox does stock, but I make it ~10-20% longer which seems to stay quiet.

I don't think they're heavier than Fox, but what might be worth checking (or confirming with someone) is what the ID is. Not sure if Fox still use the long brown dildo inside the spring like they did on the last factory coil 40s, if so, need to make sure that slides into the new spring OK.

I'm glad you're getting along with the shock. I did try to say it's a decent shock earlier in that thread, just had to agree with the pickier folk who chimed in later (re: RC4). But I've ridden the Float X2 in a bunch of DH bikes now and in the current iteration I found it decent, I'd rock it if I had to.

Maybe worth refreshing the oil in the lowers (and check there's enough) + slick honey the seals after a few rides too, if you haven't already.
You can very easily tell if it needs more break in time by cycling the stanchions in lowers (while both are still bolted in the crowns) but with the damper and spring topcaps unscrewed so they aren't active. You can also get a feel for how much friction the damper exerts (probably worth checking at min. LSC as well as your current setting). I just feel like "VERY" stiff can't be coming from the spring, and dropping the rate might just be compensating for something elsewhere. At least this way you could get a rough idea yourself.