Quantcast

This Facebook fad.....

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So here's a question (I know I will regret having asked)...

But is facebook as a software "thing" well built?

I always find it does weird, quirky things. The latest example is the stupid notifier that my wife "had changed her profile picture". She actually did it last night. But it says that she only did it in the last 5 mins. I realize "cool story bro" and all that.

But why would it do that? I'm just curious, from a coding/software point of view, is Facebook well put together?

So here's a question (I know I will regret having asked)...

But is facebook as a software "thing" well built?

I always find it does weird, quirky things. The latest example is the stupid notifier that my wife "had changed her profile picture". She actually did it last night. But it says that she only did it in the last 5 mins. I realize "cool story bro" and all that.

But why would it do that? I'm just curious, from a coding/software point of view, is Facebook well put together?
I have observed this sort of behavior and am guessing that they have a distributed database that gets out of synchronization at times.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
on the top of the News Feed, you can click on "top news" or "most recent." it was probably on "top news" that your wife changed her picture.

their new "theater" viewing for pictures blows btw

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Yes....photo view sucks.

And no...the actual time stamp on the 'event" was off.

And actually just now, Luc and I were hurling abuse at each other, and the page repeatedly got stuck when it was maybe 25% loaded.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Its codebase is always in flux. It's not robust by any means, but is always evolving/being broken, for what it's worth.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
re: the sucky photo view.

when you click any photo and it launches, hit F5 to refresh and it will relaunch the old photo viewer. (I hate the new one too)

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The new picture thing does suck. It doesn't look it's even part of facebook. Are there any firefox extensions that let you remove/add parts of a url for specific sites? I looked, but couldn't find any.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
The new picture thing does suck. It doesn't look it's even part of facebook. Are there any firefox extensions that let you remove/add parts of a url for specific sites? I looked, but couldn't find any.
there is a script for Chrome to get rid of the "theater," but havent looked for FF.