Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Here's what's wrong: I'm seeing a push to bring the road bike flat mount disc brake standard to MTB!
If you've ever worked on a road bike with these things you'll understand. It's a stupid system that's harder to adjust than normal post mount and was created without considering how it would mount to a fork. Its sole purpose was to make the caliper frame/fork interface look more elegant so road riders wluld adopt discs, but they forgot to figure out how it would attach to the fork. At this year's NAHBS show I had a conversation with an employee at the company that created the standard during which we agreed that it was half baked and should have been developed further before being released.

Tantrum Cycles

Turbo Monkey
Jun 29, 2016
Here's what's wrong: I'm seeing a push to bring the road bike flat mount disc brake standard to MTB!
If you've ever worked on a road bike with these things you'll understand. It's a stupid system that's harder to adjust than normal post mount and was created without considering how it would mount to a fork. Its sole purpose was to make the caliper frame/fork interface look more elegant so road riders wluld adopt discs, but they forgot to figure out how it would attach to the fork. At this year's NAHBS show I had a conversation with an employee at the company that created the standard during which we agreed that it was half baked and should have been developed further before being released.
oh fuckin great.

Well as a protest, I'm gonna get together with Hayes and re-introduce the 22 mm mount, which was the original and best rear caliper mount. It was only S's dumb ass IS mount that killed that, only to be killed itself by 74 mm post mount, which had already killed 68 and 72 mm post mounts, which coexisted peacefully as Rockshock used one and Manitou used the other on their forks and Fox only made shox.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
oh fuckin great.

Well as a protest, I'm gonna get together with Hayes and re-introduce the 22 mm mount, which was the original and best rear caliper mount. It was only S's dumb ass IS mount that killed that, only to be killed itself by 74 mm post mount, which had already killed 68 and 72 mm post mounts, which coexisted peacefully as Rockshock used one and Manitou used the other on their forks and Fox only made shox.
Isn't progress wonderful? :rofl:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It was only S's dumb ass IS mount that killed that, ....
What is the problem with IS? No need for threads in the frame/fork, easy adapter solutions for different disc sizes and the possibility to use shimz to center the caliper if you have a f'ed up frame. I also hate that manufacturers try to tell me which minimum size disc I should run on their frame/fork (cough....cough....PM180). Only disadvantage I can see is that the screws see shear forces.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
What is the problem with IS? No need for threads in the frame/fork, easy adapter solutions for different disc sizes and the possibility to use shimz to center the caliper if you have a f'ed up frame. I also hate that manufacturers try to tell me which minimum size disc I should run on their frame/fork (cough....cough....PM180). Only disadvantage I can see is that the screws see shear forces.
Axle and dropout could be non-perpendicular for starters. PM has faced mount points to mitigate this.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Axle and dropout could be non-perpendicular for starters. PM has faced mount points to mitigate this.
Same for PM, or? If it is manufactured correct then no problem. If not Kidwoo will get the angular grinder out. ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
D318ABF5-C8DC-485D-8E28-F296EA757896.jpeg
Part of a bigger effort today to sell boost forks, 29x3 tires, orange colored sealant, various forms of dried gatorade, and specialized brains, but I was out pre-riding the course so I didn’t even know I needed all this shit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I sometimes wonder how long until someone tries to sell us on a bike that pedals backwards to go forwards.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I sometimes wonder how long until someone tries to sell us on a bike that pedals backwards to go forwards.
I've heard that reversed steering is the tits for cornering. Makes counter steering as intuitive as it gets.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Those are so hard to ride!
I remember reading something about a guy who rode a reverse steer bike for several months. Took him a good bit of time before he could ride it naturally without constant thought. Anyway, when he then got on a normal bike, he was unable to ride it. Again, it took him a bit of time to readjust to the "normal" input / reaction. He was never able to swap between them and be totally comfortable on either. Seems it takes a bit of time to re-write the physiologic responses. Would be interested to know if you learned to ride both at a really young age, if the body would be able to adapt so that you would be proficient on either within a couple of pedal strokes...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I remember reading something about a guy who rode a reverse steer bike for several months. Took him a good bit of time before he could ride it naturally without constant thought. Anyway, when he then got on a normal bike, he was unable to ride it. Again, it took him a bit of time to readjust to the "normal" input / reaction. He was never able to swap between them and be totally comfortable on either. Seems it takes a bit of time to re-write the physiologic responses. Would be interested to know if you learned to ride both at a really young age, if the body would be able to adapt so that you would be proficient on either within a couple of pedal strokes...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There was a scientific study done where people were given goggles that made everything look upside down. After a while people perceived everything as right-side up and could function normally. When the goggles were removed everything looked upside down for a while.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You should get a ebike they said. It's gonna be great they said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/25/older-men-using-e-bikes-behind-rising-death-toll-among-dutch-cyclists
This is my biggest beef with the mopeds. Incompetent riders with too much power and too little skills, and a complete lack of common sense.
apparently it's not the PWR but the weight of the bikes.
“We should not underestimate how many accidents happen among the elderly when getting on and off an e-bike. Such a bicycle is heavier than a regular one. Sometimes the problem starts because some older people do not take into account that their own physical possibilities are reduced.”
I'm puzzled as to why folk are dying while getting on and off their bikes though.

BTW. Have you actually ridden an E-bike?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
There was a scientific study done where people were given goggles that made everything look upside down. After a while people perceived everything as right-side up and could function normally. When the goggles were removed everything looked upside down for a while.
I used to shoot with large format film cameras - the old school looking contraptions people associate with Ansel Adams. When you’re setting up your composition your “viewfinder” is a large piece of ground glass that shows an upside down image. It’s amazing how fast your brain flips it to right side up, I wouldn’t even notice the change.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I used to shoot with large format film cameras - the old school looking contraptions people associate with Ansel Adams. When you’re setting up your composition your “viewfinder” is a large piece of ground glass that shows an upside down image. It’s amazing how fast your brain flips it to right side up, I wouldn’t even notice the change.
Got an 8x10 Deardorff? :brows:

Or a tasty pre-ww2 field 5x7 Linhof?