Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Those things actually look pretty cool. Then you realize it's harley so of course they're selling a 300 dollar bike for 4300.
I donno, they look like they're heavy and worse in every way than what modern bicycles have to offer. But then, I guess I'm not in my late 60's like you are, so I don't have that baby boomer nostalgia thing yet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I donno, they look like they're heavy and worse in every way than what modern bicycles have to offer. But then, I guess I'm not in my late 60's like you are, so I don't have that baby boomer nostalgia thing yet.
It just reminds me of the original I owned when they came out the first time.

recalls a simpler time and my first fancy of a fair lass in the fields
before she died of consumption/cholera/polio/rabies/measles/syphilis/hangnail

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It just reminds me of the original I owned when they came out the first time.

recalls a simpler time and my first fancy of a fair lass in the fields
before she died of consumption/cholera/polio/rabies/measles/syphilis/hangnail some drunk Scottish guy got her pregnant
Sorry.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The "batman effect". Taking pictures of carbon bikes (black) with a background (black) and overhead lighting. Only silhouetting and highlighting the curves of the bike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You would be suprised who buys old bikes. This is different than old road racers but prestige brands from the 80s on full campa go for crazy prices. Especially in the UK.

As for this - the price is ridiculous. For it you can get something with real collectable value that will at least work as an investment

You would be suprised who buys old bikes. This is different than old road racers but prestige brands from the 80s on full campa go for crazy prices. Especially in the UK.

As for this - the price is ridiculous. For it you can get something with real collectable value that will at least work as an investment
Old cars or bicycles as an investment has the same average yield as buying a lottery ticket.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Old cars or bicycles as an investment has the same average yield as buying a lottery ticket.
Sorry but change your drugdealer. You assume the chance to earn money on a car is the same as on a lottery? Rising prices on cars are relatively easy to predict. The same type of cars rose in values from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. You think the only cars thar rise in value are super old while the youngtimer market has grown into epic proportions in recent years.

As for old bikes - yeah it's more risky but road bikes are predictable. Buy sumething with racing pedigree, something people associate with great recing results and sooner or later they will grow in value.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007

Not that surprised. I just got a new steel road frame to replace my aluminum frame for my commuter, and I figured I could find something older that was inexpensive, so I could save a buck and not have to spend as much to buy carbon.

Turns out there are shitty bianchi's going for over 1k on ebay. For god knows what reason, those old steel bikes hold their value better than they should. We're talking the ones downtube shifters and brake hoods designed to rest all your body weight on your thumbs.

Anyway, point is, those harley bikes are ridiculous, and I'm going to make fun of anybody that considers buying one or even suggests that they're "cool." Go ride an electra around if you need to remind yourself how much that kind of bike sucks to actually ride.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not that surprised. I just got a new steel road frame to replace my aluminum frame for my commuter, and I figured I could find something older that was inexpensive, so I could save a buck and not have to spend as much to buy carbon.

Turns out there are shitty bianchi's going for over 1k on ebay. For god knows what reason, those old steel bikes hold their value better than they should. We're talking the ones downtube shifters and brake hoods designed to rest all your body weight on your thumbs.

Anyway, point is, those harley bikes are ridiculous, and I'm going to make fun of anybody that considers buying one or even suggests that they're "cool." Go ride an electra around if you need to remind yourself how much that kind of bike sucks to actually ride.
They are still not as bad as people riding on e-fatbikes or people riding on fake harley motorbike looking beach cruisers.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
They are still not as bad as people riding on e-fatbikes or people riding on fake harley motorbike looking beach cruisers.
They're worse! At least with an e fat bike, there's a little spot of something baddass in there, namely its almost a motorcycle. It's like how dogs are cool. Wolves are cooler, but even in the smallest, shittiest chihuahua, there is the tiniest amount of inner wolf trying to reclaim its rad heritage. Yeah, chihuahua's and e-fatbikes are shitty, but somewhere in their psyche, there's a wolf trying to escape, and make its voice heard.

Sorry but change your drugdealer. You assume the chance to earn money on a car is the same as on a lottery? Rising prices on cars are relatively easy to predict. The same type of cars rose in values from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. You think the only cars thar rise in value are super old while the youngtimer market has grown into epic proportions in recent years.

As for old bikes - yeah it's more risky but road bikes are predictable. Buy sumething with racing pedigree, something people associate with great recing results and sooner or later they will grow in value.
What I have found in my life is that storing this crap is an incredible burden and that even if nominal value grows, rust and dust manage to creep in, and when you reach the point that you're ready to sell either the object has deteriorated too far or there's no buyer. The one thing I hung onto for long enough to have nominal value was my 1965 Matchless G15-CS, and I about gave that away to @MikeD because he had the hots for the machine as opposed to wanting to play the "investment" game.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
They're worse! At least with an e fat bike, there's a little spot of something baddass in there, namely its almost a motorcycle. It's like how dogs are cool. Wolves are cooler, but even in the smallest, shittiest chihuahua, there is the tiniest amount of inner wolf trying to reclaim its rad heritage. Yeah, chihuahua's and e-fatbikes are shitty, but somewhere in their psyche, there's a wolf trying to escape, and make its voice heard.
Being almost something is like getting a crossover car. In between things that are bad at everything suck. I can appreciate someone trying to replicate something he likes and pay homage to it even if it will probably be popular among people I dislike. For the same reason I respect people who restore old road bikes. They are not good bikes but they don't try to be something they aren't.

E-Bike is not a dog. It's a Platypus. It tries to be a Beaver, a Duck, a Snake.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
What I have found in my life is that storing this crap is an incredible burden and that even if nominal value grows, rust and dust manage to creep in, and when you reach the point that you're ready to sell either the object has deteriorated too far or there's no buyer. The one thing I hung onto for long enough to have nominal value was my 1965 Matchless G15-CS, and I about gave that away to @MikeD because he had the hots for the machine as opposed to wanting to play the "investment" game.
Storing a bike is super cheap and it's easy not to make them rust.

As for Cars - usually people who are into cars already have storage. If you are buying a car just for the investment and have no place to keep it yeah it is fairly dumb but again if you don't use a car too often it's fairly easy to keep it runing. Hell I have very poor friends who made youngtimers their daily drivers and the parts are still so cheap for them it's not really an issue.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017

If its fast and limited production it will be worth a lot. A friend has a 90s GMC cyclone in storage. Worth 3 times what he paid for it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If its fast and limited production it will be worth a lot. A friend has a 90s GMC cyclone in storage. Worth 3 times what he paid for it.
Even if it’s not that fast or exotic, put it in a barn and keep it in pristine condition, I bet it will be worth 3x in 20 years. A mint never driven 2004 WRX STI in 2020 would sell for an insane amount IMO.

The problem is it just sits there in between. Unless you have money to burn, it’s a huge waste of time.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Even if it’s not that fast or exotic, put it in a barn and keep it in pristine condition, I bet it will be worth 3x in 20 years. A mint never driven 2004 WRX STI in 2020 would sell for an insane amount IMO.

The problem is it just sits there in between. Unless you have money to burn, it’s a huge waste of time.
Slightly driven is worth more. A car that sits the rubber hoses and gaskets rot. His has 20,000 miles. Takes it to car shows (this helps prove everything is original at sale)

The STI is still limited production. But your right it doesn't have to be an exotic with only 5 made. The fact that it's a car that's raced. Means some have crashed so the value increases. If I had the money to burn I'd by the new Hell Cat. First 2 were totaled driving off the lot.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Slightly driven is worth more. A car that sits the rubber hoses and gaskets rot. His has 20,000 miles. Takes it to car shows (this helps prove everything is original at sale)

The STI is still limited production. But your right it doesn't have to be an exotic with only 5 made. The fact that it's a car that's raced. Means some have crashed so the value increases. If I had the money to burn I'd by the new Hell Cat. First 2 were totaled driving off the lot.

Investment cars rarely are worth the investment if you have to maintain and insure them. Not to mention their value plummets anytime there is a hiccup in the economy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The only reason an older STi is worth anything, is because nearly every single one has either been beat to absolute shit, been modified to absolute shit, rusted to absolute shit or has been vaped in to absolute shit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The only reason an older STi is worth anything, is because nearly every single one has either been beat to absolute shit, been modified to absolute shit, rusted to absolute shit or has been vaped in to absolute shit.
can confirm. out of curiosity once i looked at cost of older wrx/sti models. anything good condition was very pricey. anything less expensive had been hooned to hell, or wrecked.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
can confirm. out of curiosity once i looked at cost of older wrx/sti models. anything good condition was very pricey. anything less expensive had been hooned to hell, or wrecked.
Its like a Jeep. There's no real reason for them to hold value like they do, but they're desirable and trendy...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just anything kinda nice and pristine, an old Supra, M3 kept in a barn, muscle car, etc. keep it in a barn for 20-30 years and it’ll probably be damn near priceless.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My old boss' brother found a 930 RUF 3.4 Turbo under a tarp in Georgia. Needed work and clean up but intact and GC. He drove down, bought it, dumped years and mucho $$$ into it, got it SO dialed. OMG that thing was insane.

Fast forward to the divorce.....

*poof*

Cars are fun, and meant to be driven.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just anything kinda nice and pristine, an old Supra, M3 kept in a barn, muscle car, etc. keep it in a barn for 20-30 years and it’ll probably be damn near priceless.

I will happily start an investment fund where likeminded people like you can invest in collector cars. Give me your money and I will buy and store collectibles for minor surcharge.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
If you can find a nice condition focus st, that would probably be worth a pretty penny in some years
esp if ford keeps on with their current "manufacturing" scheme

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Cyclones go up a lot recently. I'm not even in the states and I know it's highly collectible. With every car journalist and youtuber talking about them they will go up a lot.

btw. Recently there was a German auto repair shop for sale for 1.7milion Euro. It had 15+ BMW's from late 80s all from limited runs like CSL's, GT racing versions etc. If those cars were in decent condition they were worth way more than the shop so someone must have needed money fast.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
If you can find a nice condition focus st, that would probably be worth a pretty penny in some years
esp if ford keeps on with their current "manufacturing" scheme
meh, Focus RS is the one you want if you care about collectability. FiST seems more likely to be a collectible than a FoST.