Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nah. I understand exactly what you're saying, just from a different perspective.

You are now focusing on one particular aspect of MTB design/devo. That being geo.

The fact that it has developed from road bike geo should be no surprise.

The fact that almost everything had to be developed from road bike stuff should be no surprise.

The fact that change takes time should be no surprise.

Back into the waybackmachine, to 2007. Developing the "magic link bike". LOTS of input into what that bike should be. in a category that really had no category, enduro hadn't been invented. It was tough to sell slacker than 69 Degree HTA. Not becausae of market demand. Because this is what the hard core, north shore riders of the time were used to. This wasn't dentists. These guys could ride.

But they were afraid they couldn't sell different geometry. Ironically, while investing in a geo changeling suspension
in 2007 i was riding a DH bike with a 12.5" bb height and something like a 64° HA.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
in 2007 i was riding a DH bike with a 12.5" bb height and something like a 64° HA.
2006 Nicolai M-Pire custom: 13.5" BB, 62.5° head angle.
2005 BMXTB hardtail was about 67°
My 2008 Enduro was 66.5° with 150/150 in low setting

Not happy with HA° on the Kona process I'm riding. Running longer fork to accommodate.

Always hated steep head angles, short TTs, etc. Love long, low, slack bikes within reason, but 63° isn't too slack at all for a DH bike.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
. Literally not a single thing worth a damn has trickled the other way up.

At this point I really would pay a little more for my brakes that weren't built like shit just because they're cheap to make so that they can be put on 12 bazillion build kits.

DH dropper posts? Huh.

And for brakes.... yeah. They suck.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
this thread reminded me of this

Sometimes I'm sad Neil does these things, on the other hand, I hope he brings a little "real" to the whole operation. if it weren't for him, I would never watch GCN stuff.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm fairly sure very few 'mercans will actually realise where or why the term "Joey" came about... so just so you know...
As far as I know the terms "Jerry" and "Joey" are an east coast ski resort reference to the hordes of Italian dudes named Jerry or Joey who show up at the ski areas from Boston and NY dressed like this (This is just a man imitating a Joey. A true Joey would have rental skis, a NY Giants team jacket, and a prominent gaper gap). You can usually hear them yelling "HEEEEY JOOOEY" at each other as they pizza french fry their way around the hill.

You could debate this but you fail to explain why Jerry has the same meaning. Search "Jerry of the Day" if you don't believe me. Or you could just walk around with your PC panties in a bunch.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@kidwoo you forgot lockout in your rant, they help to further enhance the advantages provided by high bb: everybody can now mash their pedals being 100% sure to not strike them on the gnarliest pedalling section even with a 6" travel bike! :bonk:

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Yeah, Joey is a reference to jean skiers from up north.

I don't think droppers came from the XC crowd. DHers knew the benefit. We weren't in any hurry, so we stopped at the top of descents and dropped the seat. It was the XC guys arguing about how inefficient it was, and how it didn't make you faster, and some bullshit about needing to be able to grab the seat with their thighs. IDK. Most people here (where I live) with droppers have them cause their bikes came with them. Plenty of XC guys that still scoff at dropper posts and make it some weird point of pride being able to descend fast with a seat in their way.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I watched one of those where one of the idiots rode a trail bike and a dh bike, coming away saying the trail bike was as fast as a dh bike on descents........on about a 7% slope with some pebbles.

Those videos are what's wrong with the industry
yeah, they also said they had more fun riding fatbikes than an enduro bike, because they were goofy feeling, and goofy is fun. It most certainly never gets old. It was that South African guy (not Minnar). Made me want to thow my computer out the window.

In all fairness to Neil, he did say that the enduro bike was only faster because of the flat parts of the trail where pedaling the 40lb beast made it more work.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

You could debate this but you fail to explain why Jerry has the same meaning. Search "Jerry of the Day" if you don't believe me. Or you could just walk around with your PC panties in a bunch.
FFS! The origin of the term is from circa 1980. you know... The era when every single Skiier in the world dressed like an absolute twat to take to the slopes! Your claim on the term is 20 years too late.

Did you really just try to insult a Scot who grew up in the 70s by calling him PC?

Your naivety is commendable.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It was that South African guy (not Minnar). Made me want to thow my computer out the window.
Blake Samson

I can't stand riding Fatbikes either but even I was impressed when Blake started tricking his.
Fatbikes are for making fun of. not getting angry about.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Blake Samson

I can't stand riding Fatbikes either but even I was impressed when Blake started tricking his.
Fatbikes are for making fun of. not getting angry about.
but... but... but... mountain biking is serious business. and I can't make fun of myself! (But I can hate myself - I am catholic after all!).

I have a fat bike. they're good for making it through winter, and there are times when they're lots of fun on well packed trails.

but I think Blake's point that they're goofy and fun is all fine and good. But that also gets old pretty darn quick. I tried railing a berm the other day with my fat bike. the pressure was set for grip in the soft snow, so about 4 psi front, and 6 or 7 psi rear. No matter how wide the rim is, you're still gonna roll that tire off it. And it just feels weird. it may feel goofy and fun at first, but after a while it will just feel vague, heavy, and boring. No thanks. I refuse to ride my fat bike on hard surfaces.

It might also be that I'm simply not quite good enough to ride a terrible bike well...

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The origin of the term is from circa 1980. you know... The era when every single Skiier in the world dressed like an absolute twat to take to the slopes! Your claim on the term is 20 years too late.
You mean when the cool kids showed up like this

and the Joeys showed up in their jeans and Pittsburgh Stealers Jacket? Sorry, your point is invalid. Go manufacture outrage over something else.

Did you really just try to insult a Scot who grew up in the 70s by calling him PC?
Soooo.... You're not the PC police? Why the comment then? Figure out if you wanna be PC or not and get back to me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Is my local town fat shaming? Only difference that I can tell, are the demographic who actually ride the (e)bikes in question.

:::edit::: why the fuck is there even an "e-bike etiquette" sign??? :butcher:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
3 week old GX Eagle mech jammed up and fucked itself because the bottom jockey wheel snapped riding in muddy conditions. Pretty hard to tell from the carnage that I didn't hit it on anything or shift it into the wheel so I'm probably going to get warranty denied and have to drop out $180 AUD for a new mech. Fucken lizards - I'm blaming this on you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As far as I know the terms "Jerry" and "Joey" are an east coast ski resort reference to the hordes of Italian dudes named Jerry or Joey who show up at the ski areas from Boston and NY dressed like this (This is just a man imitating a Joey. A true Joey would have rental skis, a NY Giants team jacket, and a prominent gaper gap). You can usually hear them yelling "HEEEEY JOOOEY" at each other as they pizza french fry their way around the hill.

Silly poors