Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
FFS! The origin of the term is from circa 1980. you know... The era when every single Skiier in the world dressed like an absolute twat to take to the slopes! Your claim on the term is 20 years too late.

Did you really just try to insult a Scot who grew up in the 70s by calling him PC?

Your naivety is commendable.
In other words, back when normal people could afford to ski at a resort.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
"Ski resorts. Affordable sporting destinations for normal people"

Said no one ever!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Said no one ever!
Kind of, but I remember how tickets went from $30 to around $100 or more. With gas still a few times more expensive than it was, the sport ends up a few times more expensive when people aren't making 2-3x more, like everything else these days (houses, etc.).

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Kind of, but I remember how tickets went from $30 to around $100 or more. With gas still a few times more expensive than it was, the sport ends up a few times more expensive when people aren't making 2-3x more, like everything else these days (houses, etc.).
FWIW: Most ski resorts are more in the business of selling season passes than single day lift tickets. The single day pass is ultra high to make the $600-$1500 pass seem like a great deal.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
FWIW: Most ski resorts are more in the business of selling season passes than single day lift tickets. The single day pass is ultra high to make the $600-$1500 pass seem like a great deal.
Now. yes..not so much back in 1995.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Said no one ever!
Its actually still pretty affordable around here, as long as you're willing to ski at night (after 3pm).

Which actually works out at some places...less people, fewer JOEYS etc etc

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Now. yes..not so much back in 1995.
Not sure about everwhere, but my home mountain in the Midwest with 500 vert was $30 day ticket, $300 pass in the early/mid 90's, and by 95-97 zone all the Colorado resorts were aggressively competing for season pass sales at similar prices.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not sure about everwhere, but my home mountain in the Midwest with 500 vert was $30 day ticket, $300 pass in the early/mid 90's.

Come on marshal, you know better.
That's not a mountain.

You lived near vailland. That was the first $100 lift ticket I ever remember seeing in the late 80s early 90s.

Shows how far ahead of the douchebag curve they really were.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Come on marshal, you know better.
That's not a mountain.
Haha, my point was that even podunk sledding hills with chair lifts in Wisconsin were making the "buy a season pass it's way cheaper" argument in the early 90's.

And as you know Vail was gorging theselves on $300 buddy passes by the mid 90's.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I bought a "Summit Pass" back in the winter of '96-'97. Was the last year of the expensive pass. I believe we purchsed Winter Park passes the following year for... $249? I may be mis-remembering.

The cheap season pass was probably the only way that we were able pull off any skiing at all during the early to mid '00s what with a gaggle of children. NTTAWWT.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
apparently snow is what's wrong with the industry.
Well it sure did doesn’t help.

Other than I pretty much gave up on winter sports for riding bikes when I moved west.

It’s just not worth the $.

I hate the lineups.

Meh.

Lizards don’t like the cold either.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I think I remember that when I moved in the US in 2003, a season pass for Loon Mtn / Cranmore / Bretton Woods was $350 and my friends were faking college passes to get a students discount at $200. FFWD to 2018, the same pass now costs $1300 and the mountain is moar shitty because of million condos built there since.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
my season pass was about $360 and gets me 3 comp days at 6 other mountains, plus 2 more if lodging is included.
but our hill is small, cold, windy and boring. you wouldn't like it.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Direct mount chain rings.

I get it that when Raceface came up with the idea of a way to mount either a spider OR a chain ring, it was worth patenting. But there's no reason that the mounting design where the chain ring mounts, can't be standardized. There's 100's of derailleurs, but the thread on the mounting bolt is standard across the board.

Hope, Raceface, Sram... Probably FSA, and Shimano too all have different mounts. So if you want a single direct mount ring, it's either by the manufacturer of the crank, or there's a 50/50 chance that Blackspire, One-up or Absolute Black make one.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

I get it that when Raceface came up with the idea of a way to mount either a spider OR a chain ring, it was worth patenting. But there's no reason that the mounting design where the chain ring mounts, can't be standardized. There's 100's of derailleurs, but the thread on the mounting bolt is standard across the board.

Hope, Raceface, Sram... Probably FSA, and Shimano too all have different mounts. So if you want a single direct mount ring, it's either by the manufacturer of the crank, or there's a 50/50 chance that Blackspire, One-up or Absolute Black make one.

On that note, the tools!

The Race Face bottom bracket that came on my bike (which is Cinch), is the same god damn outer diameter of the two Shimano bottom bracket tools that I have. But it has a different spline pattern.

WHY?!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

my favorite part is since there is no standard, whenever a new player joins the game they get to come up with their own way of doing it. makes it fun!

imagine how bored the engineers would be if they had to follow a template that made their coolnewshit work with everyone else's shit. or if the marketing people had to just copy and paste 'works with everything else' instead of coming up with new ways to describe the coolnewshit. #26aintdead.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm kind of with you on this. I got sucked into the direct mount scheme, but it doesn't do anything better. In fact, I can't space my chainring inboard because of it. And sometimes it creaks because it's not as sturdy as five arms. It sure is clean, though.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
On that note, the tools!

The Race Face bottom bracket that came on my bike (which is Cinch), is the same god damn outer diameter of the two Shimano bottom bracket tools that I have. But it has a different spline pattern.

WHY?!
This made me think of Park and Shimano.

I have a tool/wrench that has that plastic star thingie attached to it for the non-drive side bolt on Shimano cranks. The other end is for "most" external Bb's - including Raceface, FSA, Campy, Shimano (well, certain ones) and about 10 others.
https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-9

This ano'd one looks spiffy! But it's useless, cause it fits the same Bb's as the one above and below! I didn't buy this one, but I'm sure many have, just to find out they already have it.
https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-69-2

Not to mention that most of us already have the original external BB tool that fits on a 3/8" drive ratchet or a 1" box wrench that does the same exact fucking thing. Since it's steel and not some fancy ano'd piece of shit aluminum, it can probably remove/install Seven thousand, Fourteen hundred and 11-6 more bottom brackets for fuck sake.
https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom-bracket-tool-bbt-19-2

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'm kind of with you on this. I got sucked into the direct mount scheme, but it doesn't do anything better. In fact, I can't space my chainring inboard because of it. And sometimes it creaks because it's not as sturdy as five arms. It sure is clean, though.
Blame the press fit BB, not the chainring! :busted:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Its actually still pretty affordable around here, as long as you're willing to ski at night (after 3pm).

Which actually works out at some places...less people, fewer JOEYS etc etc
interesting, here on the local hill its the other way, skiing with lighted trails costs 2 points per ride up and only 1 point on day time

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And sometimes it creaks because it's not as sturdy as five arms. It sure is clean, though.
Naw, that's because it requires like 600lb of torque to to properly torque it, then it doesn't really creak. Problem is, it's damn near impossible to put the amount of torque on it that it requires with any normal tools/setup, such as, what are you going to brace the damn thing with?

But they did use the old shimano BB tool for the interface "standard", which is a cool feature, as lots of us have the old tool hanging around, so props for not inventing a new standard, but damn that torque...

Naw, that's because it requires like 600lb of torque to to properly torque it, then it doesn't really creak. Problem is, it's damn near impossible to put the amount of torque on it that it requires with any normal tools/setup, such as, what are you going to brace the damn thing with?

But they did use the old shimano BB tool for the interface "standard", which is a cool feature, as lots of us have the old tool hanging around, so props for not inventing a new standard, but damn that torque...
Are we talking about the same chainring?
SRAM chain ring torque.jpg

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
40 nm = 29.5 ft/lb.

29.5 x 12 = 354 in/lb

Most 3/8" drive torque wrenches go to 250 in/lb., but a 1/2" drive will do ft/lbs and easily do 29 ft lbs/40nm.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just tighten it to "pretty tight"... same as when you used the same tool to tighten the alu cassette lockring to Alu freehub body and never even considered using a torque wrench.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
There are two things bike related that must be torqued to the german torque spec gutentight: reverb internal sealheads and threaded BBs.