Quantcast

this isn't right, right?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Well, the thread at the rebound needle end should hold it together... My suggestion would be taking the whole unit apart and checking it the rebound needle thread is not stripped (or if the needle is not unscrewed totally) or the o-ring is not damaged. While assembling it, put a lot of grease between the shaft and the needle too. 1 more thing that comes to my mind is, that maybe You ride without the rebound knob installed? It makes the needle centered, therefore should help with the rattling.

i do ride with the knob installed (just like RM's mom likes it. boom.) but even then the hex isn't snug inside the needle so it will still rattle (i've tested this). i've gone through everything obvious except full disassembly and re-grease and decided it's most likely a not enough grease between the needle and shaft during assembly issue and it just eventually went south over time and bumps. and yes the wave spring is there. my lbs is running it by sram but i talked to an aftermarket service/tune business who said they'd never encountered it but agreed the grease was the most likely issue since all adjustments work fine and as intended and i can actually see the small gap between the needle and inner shaft and move the needle side to side with a tiny flat head screwdriver.

i grabbed some small o-rings that fit inside the shaft and still allow the rebound adjuster to pass through to the needle and turn it. i'm going to give that a shot first (it works outside the stanchions/lowers) then go to full disassembly if that doesn't help it or sram surprises me and says they know definitively what the issue is or isn't without me having to send the whole thing to them.

thanks for your ideas and help.