Quantcast

This just in... VB not above the Racial Slur

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
"dragon" is one I haven't heard before. Does that refer to the extremely elderly or something else?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Serial Midget
You've never heard oriental women refered to as dragon ladies?
Nope. I grew up in Ohio. Makes sense though. Bad VB, bad.

By the way, "oriental" is derogatory... used for objects. "Asian" is the term used for people.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by ohio

By the way, "oriental" is derogatory... used for objects. "Asian" is the term used for people.
I wouldnt say that its necessarily derogatory...but rather just improper.

All things from the orient are oriental really....including people.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by BurlySurly
I wouldnt say that its necessarily derogatory...but rather just improper.

All things from the orient are oriental really....including people.
You love you some semantic arguments, dontcha?

de·rog·a·to·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-rg-tôr, -tr)
adj.
1. Disparaging; belittling: a derogatory comment.
2. Tending to detract or diminish.

It is not as bad as using it in noun form (i.e. "She was an Oriental"). But it's not respectful. In my mind that falls under detracting or diminishing.

o·ri·en·tal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ôr-ntl, r-)
adj.
1. often Oriental Of or relating to the countries of the Orient or their peoples or cultures; eastern.
2. Oriental Of or designating the biogeographic region that includes Asia south of the Himalaya Mountains and the islands of the Malay Archipelago.
Lustrous and valuable: oriental pearls.

Of or relating to a genuine or superior gem: an oriental ruby.
Relating to or designating corundum that resembles another stone in color.

n.
often Oriental Often Offensive. An Asian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ori·ental·ly adv.
Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental meaning “eastern”is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
JEEZ OHIO! if you had been my little brother you would have been on a milk carton years ago!:p

"but mom....as you can see...according to webster, i can't possibly be "IN" his face...that would require surgery..."
:D

you're nickname is definitely not "moony" 'cause your bright enough to be called "sunny".

i'm not gonna debate w/ you anymore 'cause you'll just get me all frustrated and tonge tied, then we'll just have to "wrastle" to settle the score :D

You love you some semantic arguments, dontcha?

de·rog·a·to·ry ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-rg-tôr, -tr)
adj.
1. Disparaging; belittling: a derogatory comment.
2. Tending to detract or diminish.

It is not as bad as using it in noun form (i.e. "She was an Oriental"). But it's not respectful. In my mind that falls under detracting or diminishing.

o·ri·en·tal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ôr-ntl, r-)
adj.
1. often Oriental Of or relating to the countries of the Orient or their peoples or cultures; eastern.
2. Oriental Of or designating the biogeographic region that includes Asia south of the Himalaya Mountains and the islands of the Malay Archipelago.
Lustrous and valuable: oriental pearls.

Of or relating to a genuine or superior gem: an oriental ruby.
Relating to or designating corundum that resembles another stone in color.

n.
often Oriental Often Offensive. An Asian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ori·ental·ly adv.
Usage Note: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental meaning “eastern”is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by manimal
then we'll just have to "wrastle" to settle the score :D
Jeez, I haven't done that since I was a 127# weight class junior in high school.... you might have a distinct advantage, mr marine.

Besides, I didn't type that above post. Almost the whole thing (the italics) was a cut and paste from dictionary.com.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
As Walter Szobeczeck said in to Jeffrey Lewboski..."Dude, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature...I believe it's Asian-American..."

Or something to that effect.

MD

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
"fricken dragon" says he in reference to a female Japanese driver. Perhaps he needs to practice what he preaches??? ;) ;) ;)
:D :D LMAO, well a few choice epithets did get thrown her way but if I'd have gone racial on her I'm sure the excretia would have hit the cooling system well and truly. The Japanese cops aren't exactly known for their fairness to foreigners, so I had to tread carefully and try to not scream and yell........bloody stupid old mole she was:rolleyes:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by manimal

"but mom....as you can see...according to webster, i can't possibly be "IN" his face...that would require surgery..."

:D :D LMAO, that was a good one Manimal, still chuckle inducing a day later:thumb: :thumb:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Jeez, I haven't done that since I was a 127# weight class junior in high school.... you might have a distinct advantage, mr marine.

Besides, I didn't type that above post. Almost the whole thing (the italics) was a cut and paste from dictionary.com.

brawn over brains.....never failed me.....uh..well...nevermind.

think braveheart - wallace vs. his big friend. (hemish, i think) :D

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
"fricken dragon" says he in reference to a female Japanese driver. Perhaps he needs to practice what he preaches??? ;) ;) ;)
funny you mention that SM... actually, truth be known, his favourite racial slur is, 'REMEMBER 45'

i have no idea what it means but it was frequently used when the forementioned VB and myself were in japan...

parts

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by partsbara
funny you mention that SM... actually, truth be known, his favourite racial slur is, 'REMEMBER 45'

i have no idea what it means but it was frequently used when the forementioned VB and myself were in japan...

parts
Oh yeah - in WW11 Japanese propaganda referred to the US as "Those Lovely Yankees" - nothing like a couple of big ones to set them straight. :D :D :D

That was the last great war - with clear winners and vaporized losers... what could be better?

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Oh yeah - in WW11 Japanese propaganda referred to the US as "Those Lovely Yankees" - nothing like a couple of big ones to set them straight. :D :D :D

That was the last great war - with clear winners and vaporized losers... what could be better?
better ??? how about hiroshima carrots that glow in the dark :)

parts

SM the only, and i mean ONLY thing we have in common is avid 185's ... please remember that :)

had my first read ride on em today... impressed

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by partsbara

SM the only, and i mean ONLY thing we have in common is avid 185's ... please remember that :)

had my first read ride on em today... impressed
Just wait until the fvckers fall apart on ya, parts. The pads will stop holding adjustments after a good year, and the dials are prone to falling or breaking off, too.

Then again, you don't ride real hard :p and I crash too much. Hope they work for ya; I DO love the tune-ability of them. Try running the moving pad as close as possible, but leaving the inboard pad a bit further away. Helps modulation; you get a nice quick engagement, but they don't get to lockup-power until the rotor has flexed a tad to the right. Otherwise, they can be *too* grabby and immediate.

MD

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by MikeD
Just wait until the fvckers fall apart on ya, parts. The pads will stop holding adjustments after a good year, and the dials are prone to falling or breaking off, too.

Then again, you don't ride real hard :p and I crash too much. Hope they work for ya; I DO love the tune-ability of them. Try running the moving pad as close as possible, but leaving the inboard pad a bit further away. Helps modulation; you get a nice quick engagement, but they don't get to lockup-power until the rotor has flexed a tad to the right. Otherwise, they can be *too* grabby and immediate.

MD
Too bad you had bad luck with them. My LBS says they are the only disks that are not constantly in for something. I have an old set of 6s that have seen two muddy seasons with no ill effects or loss of power. My new bike has the 7s and they did seem a bit grabby out of the box - I think it takes a month or so to break them in. The modulation on my older set is much better - I am hoping the new set breaks in just as nicely.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Too bad you had bad luck with them. My LBS says they are the only disks that are not constantly in for something. I have an old set of 6s that have seen two muddy seasons with no ill effects or loss of power. My new bike has the 7s and they did seem a bit grabby out of the box - I think it takes a month or so to break them in. The modulation on my older set is much better - I am hoping the new set breaks in just as nicely.
HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY YOU F*CKERS....this is the PD forum!!!!! Here we yell, scream and abuse Shirly, we don't talk bikes:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)
Avids= great
Hope= best:D

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
..By the way, "oriental" is derogatory... used for objects. "Asian" is the term used for people.
I'm of 1/4 Asian descent, but not one of my anscesters was slant eye! :sneaky:

Whos trying to redefine the english word "oriental"...from the orient, or the far east.
Asia is a big contentent...and includes land and people that aren't so far east.

"I'm from Laos"
"Uh, yeah. Are you Chinese or Japanese?"

I'm sticking with Oriental.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
As Walter Szobeczeck said in to Jeffrey Lewboski..."Dude, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature...I believe it's Asian-American..."

MD
Possibly the greatest film of all time.

Irrelevant, yes, but who gives a :monkey:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The modulation on my older set is much better - I am hoping the new set breaks in just as nicely.
Try setting the stationary pad a bit further away from the rotor...I kept the moving pad very, very close to the rotor, too.

This way, I got instant engagement, which I like, but the rotor had to flex a bit before the brakes came full-on.

MD

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA

MD

I still prefer Chinaman.

Or as Chief Quimby would say "Hands in the air you filthy EYEtalians"

Lou" Uh CHief..that's not very politically correct"

Q "Sorry lou...Thats hands in the air you filthy EYEtalian-Americans"

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Originally posted by valve bouncer
:D :D LMAO, well a few choice epithets did get thrown her way but if I'd have gone racial on her I'm sure the excretia would have hit the cooling system well and truly. The Japanese cops aren't exactly known for their fairness to foreigners, so I had to tread carefully and try to not scream and yell........bloody stupid old mole she was:rolleyes:
Their fairness doesn't really have to do with Foreigners...it has to do with their view of society co-existing as a whole. So if you get rear ended while at a stop light chances are you get to split the bill to keep harmony in the community.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
now we need to take you out back and flog you with a piece of rubber hose filled with shot ,cause we can only cock punch a guy who has one ;) ;) ;) ;) ,so spit it out it`s not yours :p :p :p :p