Quantcast

this may be crazy but...... new (?) road bike sport

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
this may be crazy but......
i was thinking the other day, if you could build a roadbike with short cranks (like 145) really high gears, some meaty tires (like 2.0 slicks) and perhaps a REALLY low travel lightweight fork, and do a DH roadbike sorta thing. the idea came to me from seeing the supermoto kona article in MBA. set it up on some really twisty, steep hills, going SCREAMIN fast. just a thought....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Road bike racers already routinely travel at 70 mph plus down mountain passes, even novices often exceed 50 mph. Once past 35 or 40 pedaling creates more drag than power, up until that point normal crank arms would deliver more power - fat tires and suspension would also eat up a certain amount of forward momemtum so skinny tires still rule.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
the idea would not be just to go fast down hill, im also talking about some serious technical turns, like the type you could possibly get a bit of drift going, perhaps some harpin switchbacks and such. i doubt wether skinny tires would hold up to the type of riding im talking about, speed is more secondary to the technicality i would say.

-B-

Chimp
Over 45mph in a 53x11 you are no longer adding speed to the decent. Sprinters will use a 54x11 and cross the line between 40-50 mph. Going 70mph down a mountain will put a smile on a true roadie. It all takes the right equipment to descend, sealed bearing hubs with high quality bearings, tubulars filled to 180 psi make hitting 70 easy.

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
I went 45 on a borrowed roadbike one day down a hill near my house. and all i can tell you, is that was the last time i did it. i never ride roar bikes, and it felt like the bike was in a paint shaker not to mention every pebble i hit would jump the bike sidways, or shoot it out accross the road that some insane speed. ive got MASSIVE respect for the tdf guys riding on that cobble stone. that is just crazy

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Yes, riding a speed on a road bike can be technical at times, it's also possible that your friends road bike is a POS.

SebringMGB said:
I went 45 on a borrowed roadbike one day down a hill near my house. and all i can tell you, is that was the last time i did it. i never ride roar bikes, and it felt like the bike was in a paint shaker not to mention every pebble i hit would jump the bike sidways, or shoot it out accross the road that some insane speed. ive got MASSIVE respect for the tdf guys riding on that cobble stone. that is just crazy