Quantcast

Thomson DH Handlebars....in my grubby, grubby little hands!

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Yup. Just came this morning in what can only be described as a massive box.

I have no excessive descriptors or raves. It's simple, clean and...mine! :D

Rock on! Everybody...do this ----->:weee::weee::weee:

What's exciting about these? Made in Asia, like every other bar, and unlike most of the rest of the Thomson stuff.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Don't be so quick. They may have done some serious research and these may be the fastest bars out there.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Nice but I would except the same nice finish they have on the seatpost and stem

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I updated my first post with a few pics to give a view of it mounted, sweep and all. 780mm or 30.7". The Boobar I had started out at the same length and I cut it down to 279.75". Laid both in the floor to give an impression of the variation between the two.

Not really a legit comparison. They both need to be bolted on to see b/c in the pic of both the Thomson bar needs to be rotated back some to be at the same angle. Make sense? Bar is definitely lighter than the Boobar, but the Boobar never was. Heck it's heavier cut down tha the Thomson uncut. :D

Again, not bragging. Just thought I'd post pics so people might could get a better idea of the bar than on the site. ;)

Last edited:

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Did you mean to say 29.75" bars? cause if youre riding a 27.75 you will be required to turn in your matching TLD kit and D3 and start riding with a camelbak, running shoes and $50 bell full face.

i tried riding a buddies bike with 720's and it just felt so nervous, did not like

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What's the reasoning behind only 6° backsweep? I thought 9° had pretty much become the defacto standard.
I didn't care for them until this post, I run K9 and Controltech which are both 5deg backsweep, if the Thomson's come in a 30-35mm rise I'll run a set.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Did you mean to say 29.75" bars? cause if youre riding a 27.75 you will be required to turn in your matching TLD kit and D3 and start riding with a camelbak, running shoes and $50 bell full face.

i tried riding a buddies bike with 720's and it just felt so nervous, did not like
Ha hah. Fixed it. 29.75 is correct." Heck, I've got a set of Sunline 29's on my trail bike that I got cheap. Thought they'd feel kinda wide, then forgot all about them immediately.

I didn't care for them until this post, I run K9 and Controltech which are both 5deg backsweep, if the Thomson's come in a 30-35mm rise I'll run a set.
780mm wide
12mm of rise
6° of backsweep
4° of upsweep

Manufacturing details: http://bikethomson.com/thomsonhandlebars/downhill/

Note: I keep updating my first post with this info as we go in case others wonder why there is redundancy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What's exciting about these? Made in Asia, like every other bar, and unlike most of the rest of the Thomson stuff.
but they're stamped with the thomson brand name so they match the parts that thomson actually hand makes! No more worrying about using bars that have been proven reliable for the last 8 years, now you can try something totally new!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I saw these at Eurobike and was interested since Thomson makes product that is tough, durable, and precision manufactured.

I did some research after seeing Butch on these things (he is pretty fast and a bit rough on equipment) and the two features that stand out the most are:

7050 Al construction (same type of Alu that Truvativ and Easton use - light, but is slightly more malleable then 7075)

Wall thickness is increased at the ends from 1.4mm to 1.6mm as a means of increasing durability and impact resistance.

The 12mm rise isn't so bad and I think a lot of riders can get used to it via riser pads under the stem or headset spacers.

...as far as the wacky 6deg backsweep and 4deg upsweep - I blame Jerry Masterpool for this.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Soon as I ride them, I'll know if I like them. Bad wrists have a tendency of being picky...even if I'm not.

One thing I'll mention is that at I found myself rotating the bars at a different angle from what I usually do.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think you might actually be shorter than me (which I know is an internet impossibility), and you don't see the value?

BB heights and fork heights don't change with frame sizes. Us shorties can use them things. I know I do.
:rofl:

Plus, moar options = moar better. I'm running Kore bars on my DH bike and IIRC they have 4 different rises for otherwise identical bars which is rad. I'm 6' tall but have a bike with an unusually high stack height, and then run a Dorado which is tall already, and then drop it in the crowns which makes it even taller. Flat bars are my friend. I know they're not for everybody but for me, they're a good thing.