Quantcast

Thomson Dropper post service?

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Anybody? This thing has been bomproof for the two years I've been riding it, and it still works fine, but feels a little 'sticky' going up and down, as if the bearing surfaces could do with a clean and some lube. Can't find any instructions anywhere as to how to go about taking it apart. If no one can help I'm just gonna start unscrewing anything I can get to one evening this week...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The post supposedly isn't user-serviceable. They recommend sending it into the factory every two years. I see you're in bc... they may have a good local option for service, but sending it directly to the factory for service will definitely work.

I went through the local shop on thomson's recommendation... it took way too long and had too many unnecessary steps... will send it directly to thomson next time around.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Fill out the warranty form on their website (https://www.bikethomson.com/customer-service/warranty/) , describe your issue, and they'll get back to you. They'll probably recommend sending it in for service/repair/replacement. In the US, you can deal directly with them and don't have to go through a shop. Not sure about Canada.

FWIW, the collar is removable. You can use a strap wrench, or padded grip pliers. If you remove it, you can at least slide it up and clean/lube it a little bit.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
If they don't have a service center in Canada, I'd advise Canadians to buy another post. I got raped by customs the last time I sent my fork and shock to PUSH (just before SuspensionWerx became an authorized service center, dammit!).

Long story short: The Canadians Custom agents are morons that cannot make the difference between the "Value of the item for insurance purposes" and the "Value of the service I sent the item for"...even though everything was crystal clear on the paper and there was no way they could fvck this up. They had the invoice and it was written BIKE PARTS SERVICE: XXX$ ffs.

I eventually got refunded, but it was a gigantic annoyance. I had to provide the proof of shipment to the US (you know, the paper most people throw away once the box is on the other side), the original proof or purchase of the fork and shock, still....they were trying to find ways to avoid giving me my money back, they called me asking for more documents, etc, etc. No wonder they can't catch the real frauds with the amount of effort they devote on honest citizens sending their suspension parts for service.

Bottom line: Inefficient.

Buy something else if you are Canadian and Thomson don't have service centers in Canada.