Quantcast

Thoughts on a new dirtjump park.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
We started work on a new dirtjump line last week at a campground near Lancaster,PA that a friend manages. As of now the jumps will only be for our use, but we have talked about turning a large area into more trails and runs and opening it up to the public. The great part about it is that its a campground, so it really couldn't be easier to have a place to crash all weekend and ride and hang out.

I would just like to hear some thoughts on this, as he has begun talking with his insurance company and if the premiums aren't too outrageous its a definite go.

Would people be willing to travel to Lancaster Pennsylvania to ride, and if so does the idea of having to pay to ride dirt jumps throw people off. I would imagine if we included camping and the riding fees and rolled it into one big weekend package it could be more enticing.

Here are some pictures of what we got done in about 3 hours.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i would guess that just like at skateparks, most of the "business" will come from kids/teens whose parents are paying. so you have to have beginner and intermediate stuff.

however, just like at Six Flags, kids like the 'wow factor.' if you built a massive drop in and a pro line of jumps, then you can have demos and other publicity raising events.

make sure to have bleachers or picnic tables/benches that have a view of the kiddie lines, a pump track, or an obstacle course. parents usually want to watch their kids ride, not have them disappear off into the woods down some trail.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I work in reading and live near KOP. I'd definitely like to have another ride spot around. Lancaster's not too far I'd even be up for after work digging out there.

P.S. I've been looking for some people to ride/shuttle pagoda weekdays after work.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I work in reading and live near KOP. I'd definitely like to have another ride spot around. Lancaster's not too far I'd even be up for after work digging out there.

P.S. I've been looking for some people to ride/shuttle pagoda weekdays after work.
Casey... call me up sometime...

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
I live about a mile from the Firetower, so I am always down for riding up there.

The first line we are working on is really just a warm up/kiddie line. Some of the guys that I ride with don't have a ton of experience on anything other than a downhill bike so it's kind of for them too. This spot is actually probably closer to Downingtown than it is to Lancaster, so from the Reading area it only takes about 40 minutes to get there. The greatest part is that we have a skid loader and a backhoe there for use pretty much anytime.

I really have high hopes for this, the problem is just finding the time to get there and do the work.

Haitiracers

Chimp
May 9, 2005
Reading, PA
That would be a rad after ride chill spot. I'd be game...just build them bigger!
Bigger is coming, I just want to get the warm up line done first...then an intermediate line done, and then the stuff that will scare us ALL. After that it's all about what is fun and flowy.

Dirty Maestro

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
I "second" CMC's suggestions...

Make one separate line thats for beginners, which you have going. Next, i'd make a line that's intermediate with expert option lines. Then, have a line thats all expert with option lines.

If you can, build the pumptrack on the top of the hill. Have exits on the pumptrack loop that lead to the DJ lines.

I suggest a dirt park area as well. Basically a skatepark made out of dirt. I've been able to embed wood as copping with very solid results.

Here's a link to my youtube channel...you can see our layout...these vids are kinda old now.. we added a few things
http://www.youtube.com/user/Boondocks420

here's a more recent vid my buddy made......
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=37841273

We've been talking about camping out at the trails. Allot of people are into it. We just need a generator for lights to session into the night =)

A place to camp out like yours would be sweet!

Keep us posted...

msr203

Chimp
Jul 15, 2008
after haitiracers superb shovel carving abilities the first three of the jumps are done. I did talk to my ins company, they never insured anything like this so there is things that need to get worked out but looks very promising. If you would like to ride here please let me know :beerjam:

Attachments