Quantcast

Thoughts on Kestrel?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Looking at getting a Kestrel Evoke SL on clearance through bikesdirect.com. I understand that Kestrel has been bought by Fuji or the parent company of Fuji so I might be left in the lurch if a warranty issue comes up (plus warranty through BD is an unknown for me at this point).

Anywho...the bike retailed for $3350, being sold for $1695. Full rival, Equipe wheelset, profile/kestrel cockpit. Pretty solid kit. This bike is only a few bucks more expensive than what I was going to build via ebay (hasa knockoff style carbon...RBR folks seem to dig 'em) with rival and neuvations.

I like the fact that I'd be getting a "namebrand" for the same money and I might have some support through BD. Aside from your distaste for buying a ride from BD or other similar internet outlets...any reason I should avoid a Kestrel?

Also have a question regarding size. I'm torn between the 52 and 54. My wife and I used Competitive Cyclist's fit thing and it says I should be on a 55 ETT, which the 54 is. Most other sizing guides agree. I'm 5'9" with a 32" cycling inseam. I've seen a few folks on here tell people about my size to get a bike with a 53 ETT, which the 52 (53.5) would be. Help?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Seems like a good deal. As for sizing, what is the TT length on the 54? I'm 5'10" and I try to get a TT between 54.5 to 56 depending on what the bike will be used for. My cross bike is 54.5 and my road bike is 56.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
54's ETT is 55. 52's ETT is 53.5. The local shop doesn't have anything I could compare against (it's tiny).
Do you like to be stretched out? Or are you looking for a more comfortable, upright, position? With either size you can always adjust the reach with stem length. With my CR1 I had a 120mm stem but after I changed my position to be lower/back I had to go to a 100mm stem.

Last edited:

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I guess I'm looking for aggressive but not racer boi. My current road bike is way too big for me. I got because it was cheap and I was only planning on using it for rehab purposes...but I like road riding enough now to get a "real" road bike. It has a 57.5-58 TT with a 90mm stem. No matter how hard I try adjusting stem height, bar angle, saddle angle etc I can't keep my hands from going numb. I'm worried that the 2.5-3cm difference from my bike to the 55 ett won't be enough to get reasonably comfortable.

BrewMaster

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
*This is my first post - Hello!

Anyways, I just bought this bike today! 09 Kestrel Evoke SL on BD. 59 cm, hoping for the best...

I'll let you know what I come up with.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
A good deal, but I have to tell you, I'm really sick of seeing Fuji bikes discounted like this on the Internet. It will make me rethink Fuji in my shop.
Yeah. I've seen some nice Fuji framesets on ebay for cheap in the last month or so. I'm thinking these Kestrels are being blown out as they were built before Fuji bought them.

*This is my first post - Hello!

Anyways, I just bought this bike today! 09 Kestrel Evoke SL on BD. 59 cm, hoping for the best...

I'll let you know what I come up with.
Welcome to the :monkey:. Please post pics once you get the bike. I definitely want to read what you have to say about the SL.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Moff, if you are looking to try and save some money I can you a steal on a used C7 carbon bike with Ultegra SL for less than half of the Kestrel. Team bikes being sold off . PM me your contact info if you are interested , always happy to hook a monkey up.

nerd04

Chimp
Oct 27, 2009
My 2009 Kestrel Evoke SL will be delivered next week. I'll put up some pics when it arrives....

BrewMaster

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
I got this bike a little over a week ago. I've been way too busy at work and haven't been able to assemble it yet. I may just take it to the shop to get assembled(I have little to no tools...).

I went from a 61 Specialized to a 59 on the Kestrel. It's looking like a good fit so far....

I'll still get some pics up.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I got this bike a little over a week ago. I've been way too busy at work and haven't been able to assemble it yet. I may just take it to the shop to get assembled(I have little to no tools...).

I went from a 61 Specialized to a 59 on the Kestrel. It's looking like a good fit so far....

I'll still get some pics up.
Methinks that your priorities are out of whack. :bonk: LOL.

moff_quigley

Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Just arrived. Here are some pics.
Nice. What size? Impressions on fit and finish?

FYI - was told by my ASI/Fuji rep yesterday and he claims these frames carry no mfg warranty.
Kinda figured that. Although bikes direct claims full warranty on the RT800 they are selling. Someone from BD posts on roadbikereview and seems to want to take care of people.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Nice. What size? Impressions on fit and finish?

Kinda figured that. Although bikes direct claims full warranty on the RT800 they are selling. Someone from BD posts on roadbikereview and seems to want to take care of people.
Which is cool, until they are out of frames. I understand they are 08 models and I'm sure will go away soon enough.

nerd04

Chimp
Oct 27, 2009
My impression so far is that the bike is beautiful. The finish is perfect, and the components are all as advertised. Light as a feather too. It is the 2009 model year, and has all components listed on the KestrelBicycles website for this model/year.

Came with manuals for every component, as well as detailed instructions for assembly, which was minimal.

1695.00 with no tax and no shipping is a deal that was hard to pass up. The thing showed up in less than a week too. I know there are many 'haters' out there who try to find something wrong with every transaction (me included), but this one went pretty smooth... also had prompt communication with Bike Direct via e-mail with any questions I had.

nerd04

Chimp
Oct 27, 2009
One more thing, to answer Moff's question regarding fit. I went with the 52. I am 5'6", so it was between the 50 or 52 for me.. and I am glad I got the 52. The 53.5 top tube seems to be perfect for me, but I have always had bikes with TT's on the longer end of my range. I was able to set this virtually identically to my older Trek 5500 which was a 54. So I get to keep the longer TT length, and have better standover with the Kestrel.